IGNORED

Season 9 ~ Week 1 ~ Gorf

Vocelli

Another weird feature is that pressing the fire button again returns the missile to your spacecraft. This means you have to wait until your shot hits the alien before firing again. (Never played the original Gorf at the arcade before, so not sure if this is accurate behavior.)

looks like it is

Edited by CapitanClassic

7 hours ago, Tempest said:

Is it just me or is the collision detection way off in this game?  It's like the bombs just have to reach the general area where your ship is and it counts as a hit (they seem to stop slightly above your ship).  It seems kind of cheap to me.

It isn't just you. I'm not sure cheap is the right word for it. I'm pretty sure I have been saved by this goofiness at least a few times. 

I mentioned at the end of last season that my new 4K TV doesn't speak Atari.  So I broke out the tube TV.  Up and running old school.  And I'm set up that I can just spin in my computer chair and be at the Atari, which should mean a lot more scores posted this season.  It's the little victories.

20190818_071012.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, CapitanClassic said:

Another weird feature is that pressing the fire button again returns the missile to your spacecraft. This means you have to wait until your shot hits the alien before firing again. (Never played the original Gorf at the arcade before, so not sure if this is accurate behavior.)

looks like it is

The plus side of this is that if you can tell a shot is going to miss, you don't have to wait until it clears the screen to fire again.

16 minutes ago, jblenkle said:

Gorf - 1,900

191097872_joesgorf-1900.png.236236de5e807a25f07f0605f0bdaa4f.png

Any trick to blowing up the mothership on the last screen? I keep hitting it, but nothing seems to happen.

large.7EC4FE57-EA18-49E7-9831-DB72CD8FD17F.jpeg.1d5ac000908cee223ad8ab5a3fa71271.jpeg

MISSION 4 - FLAG SHIP
To destroy the Gorfian Ship and earn the right to work toward your next promotion, you must score a direct hit in the Flag Ship's internal power reactor vent.  In order to get a clear shot at this difficult target, you must also avoid the heat-seeking tracking missiles being launched in your direction.  Following a successful hit, a violent neutronium explosion will appear in dazzling color as the Flag Ship disintegrates.  You are now a Space Captain and will repeat the sequence of missions fighting against progressively faster and nastier robots of the Gorfian Empire!
[PICTURE OF FLAG SHIP GAME SCREEN]

https://atariage.com/manual_html_page.php?SoftwareLabelID=219

Edited by CapitanClassic
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tempest said:

I'm out of my league here. :)

I feel that! To keep going past 20,000 or so you really need to nail the flag ship on your first couple tries, since it's shot pattern gets too fast to dodge between anymore once it starts getting lower the screen, and I don't think my precision shooting capabilities are quite up to the task. :lol:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pat Larocque said:

Don't mean to stir anything up since I'm new here and I apologize in advance if I'm wrong, but this seems a little odd to me.....never seen this setup at the end of the game before, screen is always clear and lives count stays at zero every time when the game ends.

He probably took the screenshot during the "death" sequence.  Nothing fishy here. 

• Like 1

Was going to play a few rounds on the portable while waiting on the grill to warm up, but it’s impossible to see outside. That thing is great for playing inside and useless for playing outside. lol

Edit:  Okay, I’ll revise that. It’s useless for playing Gorf.  Other games it seems I can kinda play with the glare, but Gorf is so dark I can’t see my projectiles at all. 

Edited by Eltigro

Got a new score 9600 on the retron 77.

I think as a dirty casual for 2600 games gorf is tricky, phase 2 seems to have some cheap, although totally predictable I'm just not good enough to avoid attacks that wipe out your lives. The phase 4 ship is a git to get used to. Ironically the first time I did it in one shot and actually said out loud "wow that was easy" have had trouble with it ever since XD

DSC_0244.JPG