IGNORED

Season 9 ~ Week 1 ~ Gorf

Vocelli

6 hours ago, jefframsey said:

So far I got 4300. Still trying to best that. Those orange ones on stage two that move diagonal are fast! Fun game! I have an original cart of this.

(This is my first entry ever. I think I get some bonus points for this, right?)

IMG_2182.jpg

Players earn points at the end of the week.

I usually calculate these points the Monday-Wednesday after the current game ends.

50 points for 1st/ 49 for second and so forth.

For this week only you will receive double points for being NEW.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ZilchSr said:

Just curious ... Gorf doesn't roll over until 700,000, yet, 97,500 is considered "rollage" here. How is this "rollage" number set? Arbitrary? Or, is there some sort of formula? Last question would be why we are using the term "rollage" when the score isn't being rolled? It doesn't matter to me either way, but I am interested in how these things are determined.

Sometimes I set a 'rollage' score which means... You can stop playing, you will get first place. Pat yourself on the back you have mastered the game. AWESOME!

So, it is sometimes it is just an arbitrary number and sometimes it actually means you 'rolled the score'. 

Looks as though you are a very good player! Congrats on the first place finish the first week!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Vocelli said:

Sometimes I set a 'rollage' score which means... You can stop playing, you will get first place. Pat yourself on the back you have mastered the game. AWESOME!

So, it is sometimes it is just an arbitrary number and sometimes it actually means you 'rolled the score'. 

Looks as though you are a very good player! Congrats on the first place finish the first week!

Thank you and thank you!

There are a few people asking for strategies on the 2nd phase. I'm not getting monster scores right now, but I have improved on that screen, I'll share. 

1. When the 2nd phase starts the entire enemy group will move right a bit, and then the first of the enemies will start it's rush. It will do that at an angle from the laser ship, and to the right. Get in it's way and shoot it down. (It's probably a 45 degree angle, but it is surely something close to that.)
  2. As soon as you do that start moving left because the 2nd ship will do that same thing. 
  3. You will have to move left again to hit the 3rd ship, and this will put you a little close to the laser, so watch out for it.
  4. For the 4th ship start moving to the right as soon as the third ship is down. 

Basically, the way the ships make their first rush is predictable, watch it and get in the way. You will need to get your nerve up a little as the ships will be getting very close to you. If you don't get these ships on the first rush things get more complicated. 

If you don't get the first rush for all the yellow ships I find less movement is more consistent. Smaller movements get you into less trouble. Fire not to hit the ships but to have the ships move sideways into your missile. If you get the laser ship the enemy group that remains will move constantly until the laser ship respawns or they are all gone. This can speed up the process of killing them off just by having them move sideways more often, and thus into your missiles more often. With the laser ship gone you also only have to dodge the one rushing ship.

Do be careful to and try to predict when the laser ship will respawn as it tends to do so firing that laser. If there are still ships left in the main group when then laser respawns you will have some idea where the laser will be, right in the middle of that group like always, but if you are down to one rushing ship and a laser that will respawn soon it can be hard to know where the laser will be when it comes back. Either way, it is only gone for 20 seconds or so. 

I hope that helps, I don't feel like I was very clear but I'll leave it here anyway. If you have questions I'll do what I can to make myself clearer, or correct myself as needed. Game on.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, nads said:

They are, but maybe a little outdated on some

Enjoy!

There is, or was, a nice searchable system. My participation is sporadic at best, so I might be remembering crazy things, but I recall being able to search by game, player, season, the works. 

Edited by HatefulGravey

2 minutes ago, HatefulGravey said:

There is, or was, a nice searchable system. My participation is sporadic at best, so I might be remembering crazy things, but I recall being able to search by game, player, season, the works. 

Ahh Yes!!

You mean this!

That mothership is a problem... I can have all my lives wiped out by that thing. To begin with missing the shot is no big deal as you can shot it's missiles to escape being cornered but after 20k it's near impossible to dodge. Need those precision one shot kills right from the get go otherwise it's gameover real quick. arrrggg im just having a vent but seriously...

9 minutes ago, TwentySixHundred said:

That mothership is a problem... I can have all my lives wiped out by that thing. To begin with missing the shot is no big deal as you can shot it's missiles to escape being cornered but after 20k it's near impossible to dodge. Need those precision one shot kills right from the get go otherwise it's gameover real quick. arrrggg im just having a vent but seriously...

What happens if the mothership reaches the bottom?  Do you die?  I never had that happen because I didn't get far enough for it to become a problem.

On 8/16/2019 at 10:07 PM, AtariWarlord said:

This is a wretched version of a game I've come to really like. And no, it's not a case of "I hate it because I'm doing crappy and will like it when I start getting better" -- it's truly one of the worst 2600 ports I've ever seen, possibly worse than Pac-Man (hot take, I know). I had never played Gorf when I did my original review on my blog so I had no idea how unfaithful it was. What graphical limitations prevented CBS Electronics from including the shield in the Space Invaders and mothership levels? Why can't you move up and down and diagonally? I understand the absence of the Galaxian level (copyright issues) but why in the world wouldn't they include explosions in the second screen? Half the time I have no idea if I hit something because enemies seem to disappear at random. All this actually makes it harder than arcade Gorf, which is no walk in the park itself but was at least expertly programmed. But I'll probably keep playing it because I'm a sucker for this HSC.  

It's a little disappointing that they didn't include some more of the arcade features. My first experience with GORF was the C64 version which I recall liking quite a bit.

2 hours ago, Tempest said:

What happens if the mothership reaches the bottom?  Do you die?  I never had that happen because I didn't get far enough for it to become a problem.

It never reaches the bottom. It comes down to a certain point and starts working its way back up.

• Thanks 1

Gorf - 29650

179818397_Gorf29650.thumb.PNG.c650ad5e5121d80405ac27614fe0665d.PNG

I struggle hard with the mothership too, but you can use the missile as a shield. Tap the hell out of that fire button and then start moving through the falling bombs. You can get through, you just have to get the timing right. Start mashing the crap out of that fire button BEFORE you start moving, get as close to the falling bombs as you can, and then go for it with no hesitation. 

• Like 1