IGNORED

HRD 4000B

Ksarul

I've been working on this mostly in the background, but it has finally reached the point where I need to order some test boards to make sure I have the final layout right. These boards will be capable of between 2M and 8M without chip stacking. Assuming that effort works out without too many issues, I have some community questions. Is there a preference for bare boards, for fully assembled boards, or both? The second question is about interest: what is the level of community interest in a new run of Horizon boards? Interest levels expressed here will let me know about how many to order once I've completed initial testing. The "B" designation mostly identifies boards as belonging to the current run, as there are only a few minor layout changes (in the battery pack area) and some better component identification on the board to help simplify assembly. 

• Like 4

Sounds like you are going to use the 512K chips vs the 1/2/4mb chips. Can you share some specifics about the board and circuitry?

Just some basic rambling ...

My take on a new/updated ramdisk would be to keep it simple from both a hardware and software perspective. Ditch the RAMBO logic - it's pretty much useless/unused.  If you are going for 8MB max, that would allow for 10 x 800K ramdisks on the TI, so no need for the dual ramdisk logic.  The Geneve doesn't need or use the Phoenix mod so ditch that too.  Any extra logic just adds to the pain of troubleshooting down the road.

As a Geneve user, 12MB is the sweet spot (16mb probably the max) for ramdisk harddrive.  There is a point of diminishing return on both the TI and Geneve, especially if and when you need to reload it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Per Bud Mills in one of my conversations with him on the subject, there are not a lot of HRD 4000 boards out there, as he only had 250-300 of them made. I have #4128 here at the house (as a bare board).  That said, the numbering will start with #4301 to guarantee that it stays in sequence.

This board is following the original naming convention as it is only a minor modification to its predecessor (like the relationship between the 3000 and the 3000B).

• Like 3

On 8/15/2019 at 5:29 PM, Ksarul said:

I've been working on this mostly in the background, but it has finally reached the point where I need to order some test boards to make sure I have the final layout right. These boards will be capable of between 2M and 8M without chip stacking. Assuming that effort works out without too many issues, I have some community questions. Is there a preference for bare boards, for fully assembled boards, or both? The second question is about interest: what is the level of community interest in a new run of Horizon boards? Interest levels expressed here will let me know about how many to order once I've completed initial testing. The "B" designation mostly identifies boards as belonging to the current run, as there are only a few minor layout changes (in the battery pack area) and some better component identification on the board to help simplify assembly. 

As a matter of interest, I would be good for three bare boards.  Thanks for considering this!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FALCOR4 said:

Not sure. Seems like an open ended question?

I guess.  I'm wondering how much faster it is than the TIPI or the stuff I have stored on the FinalGROM.  Both those device are pretty dang fast, so I'm not sure if I'd gain much for my specific setup.   Are there any programs that are specifically designed to use it or have much improved specs when running out of it?

4 hours ago, --- Ω --- said:

I guess.  I'm wondering how much faster it is than the TIPI or the stuff I have stored on the FinalGROM.  Both those device are pretty dang fast, so I'm not sure if I'd gain much for my specific setup.   Are there any programs that are specifically designed to use it or have much improved specs when running out of it?

don't forget..  it's just cool to have one!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, --- Ω --- said:

Certainly true.  I have a TIPI and a few mega carts but it's nice to have some of the older hardware when you need to test/build software for compatibility.  Also, echoing Shift838, it's just plain cool and it's encouraging that there are still so many folks out there in TI land that continue to be creative.  It's all good!

• Like 3