IGNORED

HRD 4000B

Ksarul

Count me in for a couple 8M.

One thing I really want to figure out is that TI Workshop somehow wipes my RAM disks when I used it.... so must have been some errant writes over the DSR space. In case anyone wants to debug :-). It’s a long standing bug in the CRU and 379 bank switch versions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

One of the test boards is now populated and humming away!  We're continuing to make tweaks for reliability that Jim is considering for the final boards.  Having a lot of fun with this one.  It's running one of Tim's later ROS versions, 800k disks, and things are looking good!  Thank you, Tim, for your work on the software!  It has a long lineage with great programmers.

Jim is testing the other configurations to make sure everything is covered so, more to come I'm sure.  All I have to say it, it's pretty cool and I'm glad I have the chance to finally own one.

And, yes, before someone catches me.  I know you're not supposed to mix batteries but that's all I had. ?

HRD4000B 4308 prototype board_top side DWarren.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FALCOR4 said:

One of the test boards is now populated and humming away!  We're continuing to make tweaks for reliability that Jim is considering for the final boards.  Having a lot of fun with this one.  It's running one of Tim's later ROS versions, 800k disks, and things are looking good! 

Excellent.  There were still one or two bugs lurking that I haven't had time to squash. I don't recall the specific circumstances right now; I always return to the Horizon thread for that ;)   I need to write Santa a letter asking him to give me some TI time during the holiday season... 

Has anyone tested the 4000B with a Geneve?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wierd_w said:

A NiMH charger can charge NiCd, but not the other way around, or so I am reading.

Depending on exactly 'how' they are charging the batteries, (perhaps drop a charge controller IC on?), a NiMH replacement could be done. 

HiMH batteries are great, but charging times (for safety) can be in issue in some applications when you need a quick turnaround and do not want to purchase or fiddle with multiple batteries.  The major, but rare 'issue' with NiMH batteries is something called "thermal runaway" when you charge a HiMH too fast, it can heat up, sometimes catch fire and ruin your day (usually due to physical damage).  Many battery packs (not individual cells) and consumer devices have protections against this problem, but with a home made device, I'd use a proper charger and NOT a NiCD just to be on the safe side.

1885809295_TeslaPoof.thumb.jpg.293727b76ca847a72f3db4a167ab16cd.jpg

Okay, I did miss that these can recharge batteries (or forgot, whichever.)  I had conversations with Sparta back when replacing the NiCD batteries on Amigas with a NiMH equivalent (recommended by Sparta.)  They indicate the charging circuit for NiCD will work for NiMH, if the circuit is designed to apply the correct charging voltage and current.

Now, for fun we can graft a lithium charging circuit on here.  I found two-packs of 18650s at WalMart for $5, and LiFePo are good prices, as well. :D

6 hours ago, atrax27407 said:

Tony Knerr used regular Alkaline batteries in his (after putting a diode in the charging circuit to disable it). He said the Alkalines lasted about five years - which isn't bad. The Lithium in my HRD16 lasted 16 years!!

That's how this board is configured right now.  I just stuck some alkalines in there with a diode for now.  When I'm finished I'll probably put some good lithium batteries in it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FALCOR4 said:

That's how this board is configured right now.  I just stuck some alkalines in there with a diode for now.  When I'm finished I'll probably put some good lithium batteries in it.

I absolutely adore RAMDisks....  :)  Just be sure to keep a good backup of your virtual disks... a battery gets jostled or you run out of juice, you're data is toast.  :)