IGNORED

HRD 4000B

Ksarul

On 11/23/2019 at 7:11 PM, FALCOR4 said:

The RAMBO configuration is very interesting.  Did anyone actually write software to take advantage of it?  Also, can someone tell me how the >6000->7FFF cartridge ROM space is disabled so that the RAMBO memory can reside there?  I found that to be very interesting.

It is not. -- Its just power of first to the bus wins. -- The PEB flexcable has strong drivers, and the memory on even original horzion is fast, and the cartridge roms are slow -- so it wins over.

Now I am not sure if today's new cartridges like flashrom99 or finalgrom can be overdriven like the current setup, but i have recently bought both and once my horzion 4000b prototype comes i will be testing everything out to see.

there is few pieces of software out there, but not many, i plan to release the few programs that have been designed for it later on this year on my website or here, once i can test them out again on real iron hardware, i only been using emulators the last couple of years, and now in process of rebuilding my ti99 real iron setup, my previous one got totally destoried during hurricane matthew couple of years ago.

• Like 5

I will soon know if I successfully quashed all issues with the HRD4000B layout. Production boards had an extra via in a really bad place (connected 5V to GND), but look to be correct in all other respects--and this one is a super-easy fix. Now to build a test board to complete the verification.

Edited by Ksarul
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have been running HRD4000B production board #4350 though its paces this evening. Everything works exactly as expected. I am really happy with this board. Many thanks to @FALCOR4 and @InsaneMultitasker for all of their help to bring this project to fruition.

Now I just have to build a few more boards to have stock on-hand (although I do have a few completed prototype boards on-hand now). Note, the serial numbers mean something too: HRD4000 boards ran from #4000 to #4250 or so; HRD4000B prototype boards run from #4300 to #4349, although not all of those numbers may end up in circulation; and HRD4000B production boards start at #4350.

I wouldn't worry about all the boards being gone that quickly, @GDMike. I have lots of parts. . .

Edited by Ksarul
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2020 at 8:05 PM, Ksarul said:

Now I just have to build a few more boards to have stock on-hand (although I do have a few completed prototype boards on-hand now). Note, the serial numbers mean something too: HRD4000 boards ran from #4000 to #4250 or so; HRD4000B prototype boards run from #4300 to #4349, although not all of those numbers may end up in circulation; and HRD4000B production boards start at #4350.

Is there a difference between the prototype boards and the production boards except for the serial# sequence? Can you still have a SAMS card in the PE Box with the HRD? Thank you. MikeV.

2 minutes ago, MikeV said:

Is there a difference between the prototype boards and the production boards except for the serial# sequence? Can you still have a SAMS card in the PE Box with the HRD? Thank you. MikeV.

The HRD lives fine in a PEB with a SAMS card, so long as you don't implement the 32K option on the HRD (two chips that you don't put into the sockets if you don't want the HRD to also be your 32K card).

On the differences between the prototype boards and the production boards, they are minimal. There were a couple of traces that needed to be repositioned on the prototypes (there are ten flying wires to accomplish this) and we made the command decision to eliminate the option for an 8K DSR RAM chip on the production boards (in favor of a 32K chip at all times, so that every board could always be split into two RAM Disks if desired). Note that the prototype would work with either 8K or 32K of DSR RAM, so it is a minor difference. I don't build them using the 8K option though, so in practical use, there are no differences (just a few flying wires that aren't present on the production boards).

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

As we get closer to more hardware being released and more interest in the ramdisk,  there is now a Github site in process for the source code and other materials.  A Wiki has also been created to cover things at a high level. I'll post this into the ROS/CFG development topic as well. 

https://github.com/horizonramdisk/Horizon-Ramdisk-ti994a/wiki

• Like 3