IGNORED

HRD 4000B

Ksarul

8 minutes ago, mizapf said:

Is the optional 32k RAM also battery-backed? It is not really clear from the schematics. 

If you mean the 32k ram for creating a stand alone card with the ti 32k memory card out of the peb box, then no it's not battery backed, as the contents would fluctuate with what ever cartridge was using it at the time.  The 32k ram let's it become the expansion ram card for the ti. You would not use the 32k ram in the Geneve configuration.

Edited by RickyDean
additional content and correction.
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, mizapf said:

Is the optional 32k RAM also battery-backed? It is not really clear from the schematics. 

The optional 32K RAM, as RickyDean pointed out, is not battery-backed.  All of the disk SRAMs and the 8K/32K DSR memory are battery-backed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
2 hours ago, Desaster Area said:

Is this Board available in Germany?

It’s not available in Germany (at least not that I’m aware of). I’ve ordered all my boards directly with @Ksarul in the US.

European Import taxes really is an annoyance though.

The thing that bothers me the most is that you have to go pickup your parcel at the german Zoll, they open up the parcel and then they have no clue with what they are dealing with, and charge you import taxes on shipping costs as well. Go figure.

We need an european seller for the many interesting boards available in the US ?

10 hours ago, Desaster Area said:

Is this Board available in Germany?

I sell them directly to folks anywhere in the world. As noted, customs can be a problem. I also sell the bare boards with several of the seriously difficult-to-source parts included in the price for those who have the skills necessary to assemble them on their own (the bare boards are much less of a customs problem, as only the board, six diodes, and a pair of IC chips have a much lower value than a completed board). Note that this is not a kit--you would still have to purchase most of the components on your own to complete the board.

• Like 4

• 10 months later...
18 hours ago, AwkwardPotato said:

Would it still be possible to purchase a bare 4000B board?

Yes, I still have plenty of bare boards and the two difficult-to-find parts for them (included in the board price). The price has gone up a bit due to changes in postal rates and tax changes though ($35).

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks @Ksarul for rebuilding the manual.

I took some tentative steps towards replacing battery holders on my 4000, testing and then upgrading the memory, and discovered the copy of the 4000 manual on whtech is almost unreadable.

I'm sure redoing the manual was a lot of labor.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dhe said:

Thanks @Ksarul for rebuilding the manual.

I took some tentative steps towards replacing battery holders on my 4000, testing and then upgrading the memory, and discovered the copy of the 4000 manual on whtech is almost unreadable.

I'm sure redoing the manual was a lot of labor.

Do note, there are a lot of differences between the 4000 and the 4000B, as @FALCOR4 and I made a lot of operational improvements to the board to increase reliability. Some of those changes are in the battery area of the board. . .

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, NewcomerTI said:

I’m starting to populate my bare board project. First I’m soldering in the sockets and I’ll be moving on to soldering in the capacitors. Are the 512K memory chips still available? I’m having trouble sourcing these 16 chips along with the 40 pin in line header. Can anyone provide a source for them?

I bought the pin headers off of eBay for my builds. Quite a few sellers sell them from single pieces to 400 in a bag (I usually buy the bags, just because of how many I use).

Both Mouser and DigiKey have the 512K chips. This Link goes to the DigiKey part from Alliance.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2023 at 12:54 AM, retroclouds said:

To anyone who does not have a HRD4000B, if you haven’t one try to get one.

For me it is the most valuable of all PEB cards I have. It’s incredibly stable (thanks @Ksarul) and it has so many features that I even’t have touched on.

On the stability of this one, two others are just as important as I was in the project development: @FALCOR4 did some serious stress-testing and suggested hardware changes that turned a solid design into a rock-solid one, and @InsaneMultitasker, who worked in tandem with us to bullet-proof ROS. All the testing found some interesting bugs that had been lurking in the deep, dark depths of the ROS code, some since its earliest iterations. The HRD4000B would be a lesser product without the dedicated work both of these guys put into the project.

• Like 9

14 hours ago, Ksarul said:

...and @InsaneMultitasker, who worked in tandem with us to bullet-proof ROS. All the testing found some interesting bugs that had been lurking in the deep, dark depths of the ROS code, some since its earliest iterations. 

Was anything done to mitigate the incompatibility with the p-system? Although I made my own "ROS stub" to make it compatible, it would have been nice if the standard one would work too, since my verison only supports the p-system.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, apersson850 said:

Was anything done to mitigate the incompatibility with the p-system? Although I made my own "ROS stub" to make it compatible, it would have been nice if the standard one would work too, since my verison only supports the p-system.

When I looked at the issue long ago, there wasn't sufficient space to do anything about the problem.  Since then, some code has been moved around and although I don't know if it is possible to correct, we can certainly revisit.  As I recall, you wrote up some good information about this n the past.  If you know where to find that information and / or could submit the details as an issue in the ramdisk github repository, that would be very helpful.  Here is a link to the issue tracker:  https://github.com/horizonramdisk/Horizon-Ramdisk-ti994a/issues

• Like 3

6 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

When I looked at the issue long ago, there wasn't sufficient space to do anything about the problem.

That I could very much believe in. Do you want me to look up the small DSR I wrote, that is compatible with the p-system? Or some verbal description? Both, maybe?

Here's a link to a post where I described what the issue is.

Edited by apersson850