IGNORED

I feel sorry for the French...

ChildOfCv

42 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

You really don't need to feel sorry for us. SECAM provided an excellent picture quality. ;)

Yes indeed SECAM  was a good system. But look at the poor Atari VCS Secam system implementation ! The Atari 2600 games were so colorfull, but i played them during my childhood only with 8 (bad) colors ... 8 Colors vs 106 on PAL VCS !!! ?

Atari VCS and games sales would have been better here in France with a good implementation of SECAM. Today I play only with good German PAL 2600 consoles ;)

4 hours ago, Supergun said:

The French got a better ColecoVision though. They got SCART connectors on those consoles.

Unfortunately, I have yet to track down a SECAM CV console for a decent price though.  Of course that would also include international shipping, so that probably limits the possibilities.

It's too bad they didn't use the digital color output as is.  They could actually have included the entire palette by shifting the output of the color from the TIA into a shift register and taking a reading at proper intervals to recover the original digital color value.  Then it's just a matter of RGB conversion and mixing with luma to create shades of each color.  You'd still need the delay pot adjusted properly, just like for output to PAL or NTSC.  But it could probably be made to work.

Remember many computers (that had color) were 8 color even into the mix 80's ?

I love emulation and the fact you can opt for ntsc, pal, or even secam. It's fun to see the differences. And optimized, we can can look great. While the ntsc Atari can show the entire palate at once, most games really stick to half a dozen or so total colors.

On 8/18/2019 at 6:23 AM, Video said:

Remember many computers (that had color) were 8 color even into the mix 80's ?

I love emulation and the fact you can opt for ntsc, pal, or even secam. It's fun to see the differences. And optimized, we can can look great. While the ntsc Atari can show the entire palate at once, most games really stick to half a dozen or so total colors.

Yeppers, CGA was a wonderful thing....at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

And one more update.  I filled in the capacitor values that weren't visible without removing them to inspect and/or measure.  I also made a guess on the value of the RF tuner coil.  I couldn't measure it because some cro-magnon had already shredded the tuning slug that was in it.  Apparently the slug itself carries most of the inductance of a tuning coil.  So instead I calculated it based on broadcast to the first channel on SECAM VHF at 30MHz.

2600SECAM.zip

• 1 month later...

So, for those with working SECAM units, what channel does it broadcast on?  3?  I've heard that there are some versions that broadcast on UHF, but the final output modulator on this rev 7 board is only good for low VHF range, according to its datasheet.

I'm asking because my multisystem TV uses a fine-grain tuner that can tune in even when the signal is not on a proper frequency, so that gives me two degrees of freedom.  But the output filter on the RF is likely tuned for one specific channel and is supposed to remove noise in that range, so if you're not at least in the ballpark you'll probably never get a good output signal.  And to complicate matters even more, I had to replace the tuning coil since its ferrite slug was disintegrating, and I don't know the intended range, so I just bought a few different ones.

Had to replace the processor socket since an address line wasn't making good contact, and now it at least runs larger cartridges.  But even B/W mode shows a lot of interference, and sound effects completely screw up the screen.

• 2 weeks later...