IGNORED

Video Olympics (Pong Sports ) Computer AI

Europatari

1 hour ago, Europatari said:

exactly, do you think, that by that way, the computer ai would work

No need to theorize.  Other "robot" games were not incorporated because the "AI" is very dim...and is only designed to handle up/down movement.  The program depends upon if bit4 is set in Ram address $97, put there by the game select table at $F712-$F742 (even # addresses), to check if the "robot" should be in control of the left paddle in the left port.

The game is easily hacked to always have the robot present:

Always take the branch at $F14B, and never take the branch at $F1F0

Hockey seems to be a -little- playable, but it's still easy to beat.

Robot Olympics.bin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Works fine here.

Remember that this made for the paddle controllers.  Stella automatically selects paddle controllers when a Rom that it knows about needs them.  Hacking a game in any way, Stella would then fail to recognize it...and default to joystick control.  So you need to reset the Rom as needing paddle controllers in Stella's (game properties) menu.

No such menu exists for the AFP, so the game itself needs to be hacked to use joystick control.  This is far more complicated than activating the robot in all variations.  Since the latter does not work all that well as an opponent anyway, I'll pass.  This hack was just to demonstrate what the robot player is like in other variations...playable in Stella or actual hardware just fine.

2 hours ago, Nukey Shay said:

Remember that this made for the paddle controllers.  Stella automatically selects paddle controllers when a Rom that it knows about needs them.  Hacking a game in any way, Stella would then fail to recognize it...and default to joystick control.  So you need to reset the Rom as needing paddle controllers in Stella's (game properties) menu.

The next version of Stella actually has some fairly sophisticated autodetection for paddles and certain other controllers.  So changing the ROM will no longer do this; paddles should continue to work.  Unless of course the code that's removed is what actually reads from the paddles; that's what Stella is searching for to know that paddles are required!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, stephena said:

The next version of Stella actually has some fairly sophisticated autodetection for paddles and certain other controllers.  So changing the ROM will no longer do this; paddles should continue to work.  Unless of course the code that's removed is what actually reads from the paddles; that's what Stella is searching for to know that paddles are required!

yeah, maybe that is the problem with the original version

like i said, i fixed that version below to work on the afbp 2017, but the only problem is:

after i score for the first time, then the computer player stops to serve

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2019 at 9:07 AM, Europatari said:

hello People, i want to play some other Pong sports games except just pong, but they are all 2 Player only

is it possible to take the Computer AI from the 1 Player Pong mode and paste it to the 2 player Games/Modes?

I wrote an AI pong game with Batari Basic some time ago that I just called Tennis. Press the player 2 button to start a game against the CPU. If you are using Stella, F3-F8 change paddle and ball size as well as speed and trajectory. 

On 9/11/2019 at 4:15 AM, Mark loves Stella said:

I wrote an AI pong game with Batari Basic some time ago that I just called Tennis. Press the player 2 button to start a game against the CPU. If you are using Stella, F3-F8 change paddle and ball size as well as speed and trajectory. 

not a bad thing, but it lacks all the other video olympics sports, such as soccer, hockey, handball, foozpong and basketball

• 2 weeks later...