IGNORED

3DS Bitch Thread

Galactus

Yes the new 3DS was boosted in speed to be able to handle eye tracking to keep the 3D more stable when in use. It actually works really well for me but the new thumbnub on the right has never worked that well on mine as it takes a LOT of force to get it to respond. 

There is an adjustment for this eye tracking I thought in the configuration settings of the new 3DS and in fact it goes through that the first time you unbox it and set it up. Unless you purchased it 2nd hand in which case, you might want to factory reset it anyway.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Galactus said:

So I've had an original XL for years now and I just picked up a New 3DS XL.   Both of them are jittery in 3D mode.  Do you have similar woes? I love these things,  but can be pretty anal when stuff doesn't work.  Everything is fine in 2D.

I had the same issue with my New 3DS and just deactivated the 'super stable 3d' or whatever it is called. I read somewhere that the eye-tracking can cause this jittering (more like blinking to me) if you wear glasses (that's my case) for instance. However I've never had any trouble to stay in the right angle for 3D so I never missed the eye-tracking feature. To be honest, when I got my New 3DS it took me a few minutes to find the sweet spot again, but that's it.

Well I think he was onto something about antagonistic, and that snark about your little kid breaking 3 totally unrelated to the topic DS hinges from kiddo abuse (drops, throws, whatever) really has no baring on a personal or user issue you're having with a New 3DS.  For most it works, for some it may jitter but it's typically a third party problem causing it, odd lighting/changes, glasses like the post above, other things that slip my mind.  But in general it works fine if you aren't moving your hands around (hence the system) as you play and you're looking at it so it can track.  It's night and day how much it's not a jittery and double image mess the original 3DS was.

8 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I had the same issue with my New 3DS and just deactivated the 'super stable 3d' or whatever it is called. I read somewhere that the eye-tracking can cause this jittering (more like blinking to me) if you wear glasses (that's my case) for instance. However I've never had any trouble to stay in the right angle for 3D so I never missed the eye-tracking feature. To be honest, when I got my New 3DS it took me a few minutes to find the sweet spot again, but that's it.

There is an IR diode on the n3ds that puts off light. Your retinas will reflect bright dots through the pupils of  your eyes to the sensor. It uses these dots to track your eye movement.

When you wear glasses, the lenses create a reflection of the IR diode, which may or may not line up with your pupils. This confuses the sensor as it now sees four bright dots instead of two, causing jittering effect with prescription glasses.

It helps if you use the 3ds in a brightly lit room. Mine only jittered when I wore glasses *and* plated in the dark.

• Like 2

I've never noticed a jittering effect, and I wear glasses- but 1) I rarely use the 3D anyway, 2) I always shell out for the anti-reflective coating, and 3) I have no idea if I have the eye tracking turned on or not- so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

As far as breaking the systems- I'm under the impression that some people are naturally rougher on their systems than others. I have friends who've gone through multiple DSes of various kinds, yet me & my fiancé have yet to break a handheld ever- right back to our childhood systems. (The original Gameboys were sold/given away years ago, but I have both of our GBCs in my collection!) It's not that they're trying to screw their handhelds up, it just happens- they leave it next to the sink to charge in a hotel bathroom & it gets knocked onto the floor and shatters the screen (the fate of one DS.) What always amazed me was the lack of interest in protective measures. When I got my vita, I told one of these friends it came with a 2-pack screen protector & a case I didn't like- would he like the extra protector & case? He said "No, I don't need that!" We went to get some food, he sets down his vita to pick up a straw- and proceeds to knock the soda over onto the vita. Panics a bit, I tell him to go to the bathroom & get the Vita cleaned up, we'll handle the spill. Everything gets sorted, the Vita is OK, we sit down to eat... "So, about that case again?" ?

Although, I've not known anyone over the age of 12ish to break a hinge on a DS- I think that's a uniquely kid problem.

16 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Well I think he was onto something about antagonistic, and that snark about your little kid breaking 3 totally unrelated to the topic DS hinges from kiddo abuse (drops, throws, whatever) really has no baring on a personal or user issue you're having with a New 3DS.  For most it works, for some it may jitter but it's typically a third party problem causing it, odd lighting/changes, glasses like the post above, other things that slip my mind.  But in general it works fine if you aren't moving your hands around (hence the system) as you play and you're looking at it so it can track.  It's night and day how much it's not a jittery and double image mess the original 3DS was.

"Well I think he was onto something about antagonistic, and that snark about your little kid breaking 3 totally unrelated to the topic DS hinges from kiddo abuse (drops, throws, whatever) really has no baring on a personal or user issue you're having with a New 3DS."

Seriously?  My mom used to tell me that sometimes it's better to not say anything at all.  I finally understand what she meant.

I would say the "eye tracking" is likely the culprit. I loved my 3ds and finally had to upgrade when the upper screen died on mine. I play exclusively in 3d mode (when possible, which oddly became more difficult as time went on) when I got my new3ds xl, I found it horrifying that the screen fractured and jittered so badly the 3d was unusable. I looked up online and read the manual, and found the eye tracking thing and turned that carp off.

Maybe it works for some people, but as near as I can tell, it's far more hindrance than help. As a handheld, I'm sure it moves about while playing games, but I track far better than the auto tracker does.

for me, the biggest thing that I b!tch about is, well, it's a 3d console. I loved the idea, and was a day one purchase for that. Imagine how great adventure and fps games were going to be in actual 3d? Yeah, then they never came :( I'm sure someone would say it can't be done, or whatever, but I've got like 6 different cod games for ds, so obviously system power was not an obstacle. I even had an adventure game that played a lot like the elder scrolls games.. Now it's basically discontinued, so I doubt any will come out now.

• Thanks 1