IGNORED

What New A8 Games do you recommend?

GrandviewCoin

Okay, it came out more than a few years ago, but Dr. Mario XE is, and always will be, one of my all-time favourites for the platform. It's such an excellent port and never seems to get enough attention.

Time Pilot is also really, really good and deserves lots of playtime.

Laura is a pretty great puzzler that deserves consideration, although you probably won't be able to get it on cart anymore.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GrandviewCoin said:

So I am familiar with Yoomp! Which is awesome!

But I was wondering what other new games are out there that I'm completely missing?

What do you all recommend for the A8??

Thanks for all your input!

Well, it all depends on the platform / configuration you intend to play these titles, though.

Even though I play little on these machines (I'm more inclined towards the programming / utility / benchmarking side of things), I am observant of that work that truly deserves a mention, both technically and graphically. So here's a quick pass of things you may want to consider (you will need extra HW and expansions for some of these):

1. Star Raiders - 30 FPS (frames/sec) Edition (16K): features fluid, fast play while faithfully preserving the original effects and audio-visual experience of Dog Neubauer's jewel (watch the multi particle explosions!). Thanks to Avery, designer and developer of Altirra (king-of-kings on the A8 emulation field).
  2. PANG: An absolutely masterful and tasteful 192 Kbytes port / re-implementation on Atari 8bit. Fluid physics, virtually impeccable animation, beautifully presented (considering the host's graphics capabilities, as I know the Arcade version well) and playable on NTSC by simply turning music off (enough CPU cycles left for the heavy-lifting). A must have, especially with SIDE-based expansions like Ultimate and Incognito (best of the best). Loads in an amazing 5.65 secs. (DMA=OFF) from SIDE-Loader, on NTSC.
  3. SPACE HARRIER: requires an 8 Mbit (1 MByte) flash-cart, to properly run. Considering the A8's capabilities (all dating back to 1980), it is An UNBELIEVABLE port, and testament to the talent that resides on this community. A MUST have.
  4. OCEAN DETOX: just like remember liking games back in the day: simple, playable, colorful and good sound. It is a bit addictive if you are a perfectionist. Resembles the same spirit of Yoomp!, same gameplay premises. On my library, permanently.
  5. SAILS OF DOOM: again, simple, playable and engaging. Ideal for multiplayers. Easy to have a blast with it... along with a beautiful intro-screen and music. Must have!
  6. ATARI BLAST: the mother of all scrollers and multi-sprite galore, a real tour-de-force on the Atari, and also a 300+ Kbytes hog, that will show you what fast, smooth, multicolor scrolling and sprites are all about on the Atari. Another must-have on your library.
  7. RIDICULOUS REALITY: pure genius when it comes to design, screen game-play and challenge. Excellent use of Atari's capabilities, and you should never miss this one. Challenging and addictive!
  8. MILLIONAIRE (ABBUC Edition, English and Spanish): very seldom you encounter a production that leverages Atari's productivity-oriented capabilities (mixing text, graphics and colors on same screen), so tastefully and impeccably done. Pin-sharp rendition of text and graphics (on s-Video) which somehow suggests that the Atari itself could have been perfectly used for the actual TV-series of this fortune-game. This title elevates the Atari to a new level, I've never seen before achieved with such class and detail. Love it!!
  9. X8 (ABBUC): impressive smooth scrolling, multi-sprite engine, and the overall "hi-res. Gr.8" perception of the game. EXCELLENT work, all-round!!
  10. DIMO's Quest: simple and beautifully rendered, too. Don't play it much, but it is a good show-off, in many ways.
  11. LINE-RUNNER (from GR8 Software): extremely simple and challenging action in.... char/hig-res modes, with smooth grayscales and blacks. Its infuriating to play, and that's what I like about it.
  12. RGB (from MPG productions): everything that these guys do seems great! And RGB is no exception. More of an easy-paced, multi-sprite game, with "WoOoW" arcade-like graphics on screen (s-Video). Another show-off on your library.

These are just some examples (there are many more), and I am sure you will hear from other folks around here. But if you like Yoomp!, it is highly probably you will some (or al) of the above to your taste.

Enjoy!

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

My List of the best games per Year …

2004 Dynablaster

2005 Reaxion

2006 Flowers Mania

2007 Yoomp!

2008 Bomb Jack

2009 Loops DX

2010 Ocean Detox

2011  Space Harrier

2012 Ridiculous Reality

2013 Rolltris

2014 RGB

2015 Strictly Gone Bananas

2016 Manic Miner 

2017 Bosconian

2018 Stunt Car Racer / Total Eclipse

;)

• Like 4

There was a thread not long ago, started by none other than Albert himself which addressed this topic.

2 hours ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Excellent thread!  Found some great titles I missed.  Love Ridiculous Reality but how do you pick up keys? 

Also, what is the NTSC fix for Assembloids?  That is a great game, but locks up with NTSC.

In Ridiculous Reality, once you've picked up a key, it changes color rather than disappearing. Subtle for sure.

The NTSC fix for Assembloids (love this game!) is to swap your ANTIC chip ?

Edited by adam242
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, adam242 said:

There was a thread not long ago, started by none other than Albert himself which addressed this topic.

Hoo-boy, more software to try out.  Somehow I missed that thread. Thanks.

In Ridiculous Reality, once you've picked up a key, it changes color rather than disappearing. Subtle for sure.

Ah, yes very subtle.  I missed that also..thanks.

The NTSC fix for Assembloids (love this game!) is to swap your ANTIC chip ?

Ah, this is something I have been wanting to do for a couple of years now.  Maybe this year I will finally get that ANTIC switch installed.

Edited by TheNameOfTheGame

His Dark Majesty, The Mighty Jill Off, The Great Return of the Penguins...

Grab some (all!) of the back issues of Pro(c) Atari Magazine, I've covered some of them there (or Excel Magazine of course!)

Also time to join abbuc and download and vote on the latest brand new Atari beasties from the Abbuc Software Contest 2019 :)

If only there was a new edition of Pro(c) coming soon ;)

Dungeon Hunt was not released for free.

You could buy a very nice floppy disk/cart boxed edition (link, scroll a bit to see package).

An updated version, Dungeon Hunt II, has entered ABBUC Software Contest 2019.

ABBUC's members already have it. AFAIK author at the end of the contest will release it for free.

Other nice new games not released for free are Tempest Elite (updated version of Tempest Xtreem) and Venture.

• Like 2

I can say that I had a real blast playing Rain of Terror at Classic Game Fest in Texas this summer.

The authors had a booth where you could play that game (and others of theirs). See attached picture.

I'd previously run into the game because I was searching for Sabotage type retro games.

At the booth I was finally able to play it with paddles, which is what the game had been designed for.

So this is Sabotage on steroids. It has various power ups, and each level/mission has a stated goal (shoot down X planes, shoot down Y paratroopers, etc) which brings a really cool mechanic to the game play.

While it supports joystick, there is no comparison. You really want to play the game with paddles, and that is where it shines.

IMG_20190727_144728.jpg

• Like 1