IGNORED

is this typical of lcd quality?

bobmoo79

Damn, I was hoping a cap replacement would sort this little fella out. I have a spare cap set here so may just do it anyway as it seems like a sensible thing to do. 

then if there's no improvement I can think about a new lcd from Best.

im not interested in mcwill at this point. 

I want to change the MOSFET and diode too while I'm at it. they're original so, as with the caps, it seems sensible. 

I haven't had this one long so haven't used it much but interestingly,  when i switched it on earlier I thought to myself it wasn't as bad as I expected.  it was 'chips challenge' and I'd never tried that one so didn't know what was normal.  anyway after playing for a period of time the lcd suddenly got worse, similar to the photos I posted previously. 

so I took some photos of chips challenge after I got worse and im leaving it off for a while to see whether the screen improves again after s period of time.

has anyone heard of this before?

LCDs getting worse after a few minutes?

I wonder whether the issue could be heat related or something to do with caps after all. 

Edited by bobmoo79

One of my lynx does the same, after some minutes it starts to shows light vertical lines where there are brighter colours.

Turning it off for some time the problem disappears.

I think it's time to change the caps, and have to do it before some acid exits from the capacitors and damages the circuit.

The lynx in the OP seems to suffer from the same problem, but there is something else too that causes the  large coloured bars on the screen.

I will try first testing the LCD on a another working lynx, then I'll try changing the capacitors.

ok so others do have the same issue.....

I took more photos. the first is when it is first switched on then the second is after being left for around 15 minutes. theres definitely a difference.

20190818_091224.jpg

20190818_092900.jpg

I do actually gave another lcd listing around. it's faulty but could be useful as a test unit. when switched in half the screen is just vertical coloured lines but the other half seems ok.  so I could plug that in and run the same test to see usd it does the same.  that would rule out the lcd as an issue. 

but I don't want to do any testing if that sort just yet.  the mosfet I have laying around and was going to use in this doesn't work(I tested it last night) so I need to order another one before I start taking this thing apart.  I don't want to mess with the unit any more than I have to because the flex membranes are so flaky. 

Edited by bobmoo79

Christ, my last post was terrible - auto correct on my phone really screws up my posts!

I love those screens but they're pricey and I'd like to keep the Lynx stock if I can, except for the changes I need to make to keep it alive (caps, mosfet, diode). 

I now have a new diode and am waiting on the MOSFET (which I hope will be there waiting when I get home) then I change everything at once to see if the screen improves.

No I don't really expect either the diode or MOSFET to fix the screen. They're being replaced to stop a failure of those old components killing the mainboard.

I was hopeful the caps would help but I'll only know once I've done it.

The MOSFET arrived earlier so hopefully I'll get all the work done this weekend and be able to report back if there's any improvement.

so I replaced electrolytic caps , mosfet, diode but as we suspected there's no improvement to the lcd.

BUT it was worth doing as now I know all of those are good to go for another 30 years! 

the speaker seems a bit extra distorted (though it could have been like that before) so I'll take it apart to check that but I think I may just order a new lcd and speaker, replace those and hopefully this baby will be sorted. fingers crossed!!

Edited by bobmoo79

3 hours ago, bobmoo79 said:

so I replaced electrolytic caps , mosfet, diode but as we suspected there's no improvement to the lcd.

BUT it was worth doing as now I know all of those are good to go for another 30 years! 

the speaker seems a bit extra distorted (though it could have been like that before) so I'll take it apart to check that but I think I may just order a new lcd and speaker, replace those and hopefully this baby will be sorted. fingers crossed!!

When you get the new LCD, make sure you take the protective film off.  I can't remember the exact details, but if Brad had not mentioned it when I was ordering by phone, I would not have noticed and left it in place.

• 1 month later...

So in the end I ordered a replacement LCD from a guy in Italy (via Ebay) and that arrived yesterday.

After letting the system run for a quite a while I didn't see any of the horrendous ghosting or colour bleed that blighted my old LCD, so I'm going to consider this unit fixed now. Perhaps not quite as good as getting new old stock from Best Electronics but it was certainly cheaper and did the job brilliantly.

Oh and I also ordered a new speaker from Ebay too, so the sound is now much clearer too!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Sizes-Small-Speakers-8-Ohm-0-5W-Metal-Frame-Mini/233227469203?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=532726494967&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

This one is the right size (40mm) and clips into the case just like the original. As it's not a paper cone it should last longer with a cleaner sound - better than buying new old stock, and probably no worse than the one Best now recommend instead of the original.

Can't wait to spend some time properly putting this old machine through its paces now.

yes 40mm is the one to go for.  you have to desolder the wires from the old one and solder them onto the new one.

the old one is clipped in to place so you may need to use a small flat screwdriver to remove it.  the new one just clips in place.

I assume it's the same for Atari lynx 1, mine is lynx ii.