IGNORED

Be on the lookout for stolen Trade-N-Games rarities

As the topic has kind of drifted in this direction, I'd like to hear a few thoughts on this.

There are a lot of YouTube gamers who DO actively show off parts of their collection. Jason is not a guy with a channel like that, though he did like to show his stuff to friends and visitors, which is understandable. What's the point of having cool stuff if you can't let other people go ooh and aah once in a while? That's why I can understand people doing videos like "The immortal John Hancock here! I've finally completed my entire set of X" with a big smile on his face. He accomplished something, he's happy, he wants to share it with people. Even if they can't come to his home/museum to see it, they can see his video and enjoy it. Hell I enjoy it. I enjoy seeing what people have, I enjoy seeing the joy it brings them, I enjoy them talking about how they did it and showing off pieces of it.

Should what happened to Jason scare us all off from this? I've seen several posts already saying "I never take videos in my home, I scrub all the meta data, I don't talk about what I have" and I really do get that. There's nothing wrong with being safe, taking precautions, et cetera. The old saying is "It's not paranoia if you're right." At the same time I don't want to feel like I can't ever do a video for YouTube where I say "Here's a game I have, it's fun, it's also a little exotic because not everybody might have a physical copy, but try it for yourself in an emulator." I don't have a studio where I can go film things, and I don't have the kind of time in the day to go to a studio even if I did. My home is my studio. Should I just quit doing videos of my collection and never film anything again because it makes you a target? Obviously I don't think I need to go to that extreme... but man I'd hate hearing that someone like John Hancock, MetalJesus or John Riggs had their home broken into.

• Like 1

My video game collection does not include anything particularly rare or valuable, but I do collect other things. 

I have never shared photos of this collection online (or otherwise), and while anyone who knows me knows that I have an interest in this subject matter, nobody knows the full extent of my collection (even me -- much of it is has been in secure storage in another province for more than a decade, and even I do not have unfettered physical access thereto), which does include some rare and valuable items.

That said, I once received an e-mail from a completely random stranger who wanted to come and review my collection! The phrasing suggested that this person thought that it was a perfectly normal request. Not even my friends are welcome in my apartment. 

• Like 1

If they can't show it off, I imagine they wouldn't even want to collect in the first place.  I'm not an FBI agent, but most robberies are for highly liquid items.  Valuables like money, jewelry, phones/i-Pads, power tools, guns, silverware, maybe a TV.  Stuff that you can move/sell very quickly.  A safe full of 35-40 year old video games?  That might take months, and good luck doing so anonymously.  It's quite possible the thieves happened to be there, in the office, saw the safe, and decided to steal it.  It's also quite possible if they did, that they opened it and likely were quite peeved to find none of the valuables I mentioned!  If so, they may well have (sadly) already disposed of his collection (evidence). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

It's quite possible the thieves happened to be there, in the office, saw the safe, and decided to steal it.  It's also quite possible if they did, that they opened it and likely were quite peeved to find none of the valuables I mentioned!  If so, they may well have (sadly) already disposed of his collection (evidence). 

Stealing a whole safe isn't worth the risk and effort unless you know exactly what's in it.  It couldn't have been easy to move a 500 lb safe even with multiple people, especially to get in and out in under 5 minutes.

19 hours ago, ubersaurus said:

Hence why I remain convinced this was done by someone or for someone who knew what was in that safe and wanted it themselves.

That would be the most depraved collector I've ever heard of.  Then again, with how insane some of these people are with hoarding prototypes and never telling the world.....

1 hour ago, MegaManFan said:

In all seriousness is there a collector really that dumb? Take Cubicolor #34 for example. There's a well known and circulated list of all copies of the game and who owns each one. If you show that off to anybody, they're going to know it's stolen. If you try to fence that, they're going to know it's stolen. If you put it away and never look at it, touch it or play it, what's even the point of having it? I can't picture any collector taking possession of that game in that manner. You might literally have to be the dumbest person alive, and considering who our President is, that's saying something.

I hear you, but there are definitely collectors who simply do not show off anything.  If they do, it's to immediate family/friends, they're not that social.  Many predate social media.  Ages ago, Digital Press had a VHS (yes VHS) exchange where they actually shared collections.  I remember watching a few years ago, and founder Joe talking about how nobody even knew some of these people existed, and never heard from them again.  Would any of those oldies be involved, I highly doubt it, but I am saying they exist. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MegaManFan said:

If you put it away and never look at it, touch it or play it, what's even the point of having it? I can't picture any collector taking possession of that game in that manner. 

What is to prevent someone from playing (or otherwise enjoying) the game in private? As noted, not everyone feels the need to share all aspects of their life with other people. Some hobbies naturally lend themselves to solitude. Playing video games is a good example. 

Think for a moment about stolen art. There are multiple works by well-known artists that have been stolen from galleries and museums and whose whereabouts are currently unknown. Obviously they are unsalable on the open market, but there are still collectors who want to own a Van Gogh or a Rembrant and who do not care about the provenance. They may not be able to public display their collection, but most of these people would not care to do so anyway; a "private collection" is, by definition, private. The collector is still perfectly able to enjoy having an original Old Master painting, even if it necessarily hangs in a windowless room in the basement. 

As stated above, nobody knows what is included in my collection of (rare, valuable, antique, and/or limited edition) widgets. That does not reduce the amount of pleasure that possessing this collection brings me. Likewise, sharing the details would not increase the amount of pleasure that I derive from my collection.  

3 hours ago, jhd said:

stated above, nobody knows what is included in my collection of (rare, valuable, antique, and/or limited edition) widgets. That does not reduce the amount of pleasure that possessing this collection brings me. Likewise, sharing the details would not increase the amount of pleasure that I derive from my collection.  

Fair enough.

As for Rob Fulop's game being stolen from Jason though, I just can't imagine a seller in good conscience buying Cubicolor #34 and not knowing where it came from. If you know what it is, and you know what it's worth, you know where it came from -- simple as that. It's not something somebody buys in private to keep in private without being aware that a finite number exist and that the paper trail for them is well documented.

On 8/20/2019 at 11:55 AM, Keatah said:

Yup. And you shouldn't post videos or pics of the inside of your house either because that helps potential assailants and thieves to formulate a plan of attack. Pics from smartphones contain location metadata down to the nearest few meters. And I don't post those unless I scrub them which takes time.

When we got burgled years ago, we'd not long bought the house and the Real Estate Agent still had the house for sale details in their window, including a floor plan, which would have helped the burglars. Saying that, once it happened we found out the previous owners had also been burgled, a few months prior, while the house was for sale, so it could have been the same scum and possibly they did a "house inspection" to see where everything could be stored. Didn't take any of my gaming stuff, just jewellery, all stuff that wasn't worth much but couldn't actually be replaced as it was family things.

Annoyingly, even if i search my address now, it brings up photos of the house from the sale listing, and we've lived there for over 7 years now, the floorplan isn't there, but they can scope out the inside of the house to work out where the rooms are.

I feel that anyone that steals anything from someone who rightfully owns it should be hanged, saves wasting a bullet on the scum.

On the flipside of these videos of people's collections, it does actually help with the insurance claim as the items are documented.

23 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

That would be the most depraved collector I've ever heard of.  Then again, with how insane some of these people are with hoarding prototypes and never telling the world.....

It's like the Thomas Crown Affair.  Except video games.

• Like 2

On 8/21/2019 at 11:48 AM, MegaManFan said:

You might literally have to be the dumbest person alive, and considering who our President is, that's saying something.

It's totally unnecessary to use this topic to make a political statement.  Can't we have even a single place in the world where politics isn't allowed to intrude?  Let's keep politics out of this topic, and every other topic; any further political statements will be deleted.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, jaybird3rd said:

It's totally unnecessary to use this topic to make a political statement.  Can't we have even a single place in the world where politics isn't allowed to intrude?  Let's keep politics out of this topic, and every other topic; any further political statements will be deleted.

It's also totally unnecessary to drag me for a joke. Lighten up Francis.

All that could easily be sold, just not in North America.

There's incredible wealth in other parts of the world, especially the Middle East.  Drop a $ million without blinking an eye and brag about it all they want.

And I'm sure someone will come up with being able to buy it legitimately if they're that rich...sorry that doesn't work when there's only X amount of items and the owner doesn't want to sell.

• Like 1

Wow, that's awful! :( With such an expensive collection though, he had to have cameras everywhere. I just can't fathom having a collection worth at least 10-20 times what I own (and I'm over 25k) and not having cameras. It's a cheap install.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2019 at 8:01 PM, CPUWIZ said:

And no snarky remarks towards moderators either.

Thread banning is still a thing.

For whatever it's worth I didn't know jaybird3rd was a mod, but in hindsight both my political joke and snarky remark were uncalled for and I would like to apologize about them in general and to jaybird3rd in particular. Seeing a friend like Jason get his collection stolen put me in a foul mood. Not an excuse -- just an explanation. Sorry for that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MegaManFan said:

For whatever it's worth I didn't know jaybird3rd was a mod, but in hindsight both my political joke and snarky remark were uncalled for and I would like to apologize about them in general and to jaybird3rd in particular. Seeing a friend like Jason get his collection stolen put me in a foul mood. Not an excuse -- just an explanation. Sorry for that.

Accepted.

1 minute ago, Greg2600 said:

Wow, I never realized jaybird3rd was Jason from Trade N Games!  That makes it even worse, as he's one of our long time contributors here. 

Thanks, but Jason from Trade-n-Games is not me.  Our names are just similar.  :)