IGNORED

Does your PEB need a refresh!

FALCOR4

Decided to do a refresh on the PEBs I have and the first one turned out great. 

After replacing the caps:

I removed the 12v and 5v regulators off the PCB and put replacements on the PEB floor with heatsinks:

20190816_163116.thumb.jpg.4cc25b9a53fc3aebe9965768068decaa.jpg

Then replaced the four diodes with 2 amp subs:

20190816_161743.thumb.jpg.b7820d78276a613202b62a5e5bbb1161.jpg

Last was to replace the "vacuum cleaner fan" with a new 115V fan:

20190816_161721.thumb.jpg.3e3c2a9e5a60f7b10e9f520a76fb9f1e.jpg

An old warrior ready for new battles!

• Like 10

It has been my solution for a PEB with a flamed powersupply.
1558099490_ModificaAlimentatoreCabinatiArcadeinthePEB-2.thumb.jpg.fea87e7a814adaa4eac2c72dcbd5ed87.jpg

The Black one on the left is a common Powersupply from an arcade 

https://www.arcadewinkel.nl/en/min-dong-md-9916a-arcade-power-supply-12v-5v-5v

The other one grey,  on the right,  is a +5 +12 for just the Floppy Drives.
i preferred to have two different power supply to be sure i had enought power for the drives internal and external.

Edited by ti99iuc
  • Like 2

All valid; you could use DC-DC converters, replace the whole thing with a switcher (but you may have to bypass the regulators on the cards, depending).  I just used stuff I had (except for the fan) so it was cheap, does the trick and keeps it simple.  BTW, I did replace the huge linear p/s in my WDS100 MFM drive box from Myarc with a small pc switching p/s and that works great, once I got all the grounds properly placed.  The p/s came out of an old pc that was junked. 

Please continue to be creative, it's what makes this hobby fun!  Thanks guys!

WDS100 MFM drive ps replacement.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ti99iuc said:

It has been my solution for a PEB with a flamed powersupply.
1558099490_ModificaAlimentatoreCabinatiArcadeinthePEB-2.thumb.jpg.fea87e7a814adaa4eac2c72dcbd5ed87.jpg

The Black one on the left is a common Powersupply from an arcade 

https://www.arcadewinkel.nl/en/min-dong-md-9916a-arcade-power-supply-12v-5v-5v

The other one grey,  on the right,  is a +5 +12 for just the Floppy Drives.
i preferred to have two different power supply to be sure i had enought power for the drives internal and external.

What part burned up on your original p/s?

On 8/17/2019 at 12:28 PM, FALCOR4 said:

All valid; you could use DC-DC converters, replace the whole thing with a switcher (but you may have to bypass the regulators on the cards, depending).  I just used stuff I had (except for the fan) so it was cheap, does the trick and keeps it simple.  BTW, I did replace the huge linear p/s in my WDS100 MFM drive box from Myarc with a small pc switching p/s and that works great, once I got all the grounds properly placed.  The p/s came out of an old pc that was junked. 

Please continue to be creative, it's what makes this hobby fun!  Thanks guys!

WDS100 MFM drive ps replacement.jpg

I thought lately no need to remove the regulators?

If you wire the 12v line from the power supply to the 8v line in the PEB, you don't need to remove the regulators (but they will run much hotter than before so heat sinks are mandatory). If you run the 5v line on the 8v wire then you must bypass the regulators or the cards won't work (but they will be damaged if they are placed into an unmodified PEB).

I went for the 12v solution in mine to avoid the risk of forgetting that the cards were special. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Tursi said:

If you wire the 12v line from the power supply to the 8v line in the PEB, you don't need to remove the regulators (but they will run much hotter than before so heat sinks are mandatory). If you run the 5v line on the 8v wire then you must bypass the regulators or the cards won't work (but they will be damaged if they are placed into an unmodified PEB).

I went for the 12v solution in mine to avoid the risk of forgetting that the cards were special. :)

smart.. i have a stack of blown up boards from people that removed the regulators and then they got plugged into a normal pbox.. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/19/2019 at 2:00 PM, Tursi said:

So as a non hardware guy I need to make sure all cards have the heat sink under every regulator at bottom of cards?

Man wish I had miniature water cooled ones....

On 8/19/2019 at 4:38 PM, arcadeshopper said:

smart.. i have a stack of blown up boards from people that removed the regulators and then they got plugged into a normal pbox.. 

"stack of shame".  I don't envy you.

Last few cards that came in without regulators I added them back onto the cards and told he owners not to jumper them any more.

Only 'bad' thing about the PC power supplies referenced above is that the 12v regs just go into bypass mode when supplied with 12v; on the other hand, when put into a PEB they will survive.

On 8/25/2019 at 4:08 PM, InsaneMultitasker said:

"stack of shame".  I don't envy you.

Last few cards that came in without regulators I added them back onto the cards and told he owners not to jumper them any more.

Only 'bad' thing about the PC power supplies referenced above is that the 12v regs just go into bypass mode when supplied with 12v; on the other hand, when put into a PEB they will survive.

Well using a PC power supply makes sense as they are dirt cheap and easy to install, wish there was better solution then me having to become a expert in electrical for upgrading just the power supply.

4 hours ago, RXB said:

Well using a PC power supply makes sense as they are dirt cheap and easy to install, wish there was better solution then me having to become a expert in electrical for upgrading just the power supply.

Yep.  Just don't jumper the cards and you're fine, provided your cards have adequate heat sinks installed.  My original full tower with pc power supply contained jumpered cards that ended up frying when things went 'bad'.   My current mid-tower w/Pc power supply and non-jumpered cards have been running for 20+ years; for the last 3.5 years the system has been running heatwave bbs 24x7... 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Yep.  Just don't jumper the cards and you're fine, provided your cards have adequate heat sinks installed.  My original full tower with pc power supply contained jumpered cards that ended up frying when things went 'bad'.   My current mid-tower w/Pc power supply and non-jumpered cards have been running for 20+ years; for the last 3.5 years the system has been running heatwave bbs 24x7... 

Thank you I have long term plans to put my entire TI with wireless keyboard into my old G5 MAC PRO Tower.

• Like 3

On 8/27/2019 at 5:15 PM, RXB said:

Thank you I have long term plans to put my entire TI with wireless keyboard into my old G5 MAC PRO Tower.

That would be cool.  I thought about that as well, I still have several ASUS gaming cases sitting around just begging for a TI mod!

• Like 1