IGNORED

Replacing the Jaguar d-pad with a clicky thumbstick

Bratwurst

Once I finalize the design I'll probably get a bunch of Propads together and offer them for sale pre-modded, and we can work out some kind of trade if anyone would have wanted to have shipped theirs to get modded, provided your pad was in good condition and not banged up badly. Or I could just mod it for you if you're particularly sentimental with it. ;) Hoping to have something concrete by the end of the month.

By the nature of trimming plastic inside and cutting the upper PCB, this mod is obviously not intended to be reversible.

Edited by Bratwurst
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bratwurst said:

I've had some time in between projects to work on this some more. I do apologize for going quiet on this for a few months. While I have a design for the 3 button controller more or less 'ready', ( it would require some tweaking since I had made it with an elaborate 3 button harness on the back for RREDDWARFF, that most people would not want or use ) the feedback in here convinced me I should focus on a dedicated mount for the 6 button propad. I can always go back to the 3 button controller later.

3zhAtzQ.jpghfvetHY.jpg

Once you start cutting into this bad boy there's no going back. :P

I would like to make a run of pre-modded controllers available first to folk on Atari Age and then other people elsewhere, but I could do something for your specific situation too. Anyone unsatisfied with their d-pad I could see arranging some kind of partial credit in exchange, like a core charge.

Just what you see for now, I'll be posting pictures and video with more regularity. I hope. :P

lol sorry but no. That's just asking to chop up way too much plastic and hang some kind of hinky monkey off the side of the pad. Why would you want two simultaneous sets of inputs that function the same? This would not be like the Playstation or Xbox where the games have analog and digital controls. The Jaguar's library is entirely digital input excepting the Tempest rotary mod. If you want to use the original d-pad the 99% of unmodified ones left in the world are waiting to be held in your hands.

I was thinking Bellow the dpad.  But  get what your saying. Just some games I prefer to play with dpad others with a stick. 

5 hours ago, Bratwurst said:

Once I finalize the design I'll probably get a bunch of Propads together and offer them for sale pre-modded, and we can work out some kind of trade if anyone would have wanted to have shipped theirs to get modded, provided your pad was in good condition and not banged up badly. Or I could just mod it for you if you're particularly sentimental with it. ;) Hoping to have something concrete by the end of the month.

By the nature of trimming plastic inside and cutting the upper PCB, this mod is obviously not intended to be reversible.

Very cool, that's great to hear! I'm in the camp that would most certainly be interesting in sending my Starwander six button to have modded. I've tried everything with the d-pad but it's simply unusable to me. I wouldn't want a perfectly good rest of the controller go to waste, and I enjoy my clicky Neo-Geo CD directional pad as well--a combination of the two could be very interesting to use.

The analog stick has a physical limitation to how far you can move in either axis, but I have experimented with a restriction ring that sits on the top as part of the retention piece. For the Neo Geo pads I've been modding there was no reasonable room for this and there may not be available room with this thumbstick either (there are clearance issues with the arc of the thumbstick cap) but overall it isn't an issue. At least not for me. ;)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I finally completed the propad mod and sent it to Starwander this morning to try out, he will post his impressions soon I am sure. It's been unusually busy for me lately else I would have settled this sooner. I have ordered more supplies in anticipation of doing a modest run but it's going to be a few weeks as most parts are coming in from the slow boat overseas. Also just wanted to mention the propad is deceptively restrictive inside even though it's only slightly smaller/slimmer than the original three button, I had to work around the shoulder switches and the angle of the controller face is steeper.

CQlAPqD.jpg

pPbOAIm.jpg

JRIkbca.jpg

• Like 7

Maybe it could be good to retrieve the lack of diagonal smoothness that the clicky d-pad have. You know the clicky ones aren't that great to turn while walking in Doom ,the mushy dpads turn better. Did see a difference with first person shooters?

Edited by DoTheMath
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

CPzmRX8.jpgNH8iFjX.jpg

I have just completed a batch of ten last night. Please see the sale thread here:

They take more time to produce than my Neo Geo pads- the plastic parts twice as long to build on the 3D printer, then cutting the controller plastic, PCB and rewiring and switch adjustment. I could produce 4-5 Neo pads a day, these Jag pads I can only produce 2 a day.

Instead of firing up my Jaguar each time, in order to test each pad as I made them I put together a custom enclosed Jaguar USB converter from Raphnet:

CYxA2eA.jpgbrHYyGH.jpg

After this batch sells, I would be happy to just modify anyone's pad that they would prefer to send in, rather than have to buy a brand new one from me.

Edited by Bratwurst
  • Like 4

First impression, it's incredible! Feels more sensitive but the more I use it and get used to it, it's not more sensitive but the length of the stick available to move making it appear to be in the early minutes. Blazing through map one in Doom, turning hard and flailing my pov all over the place. There's no small degree of forward movement by barely pushing the stick as with a PS4 or XBOX One, of course but being used to that, still trying to make it happen subconsciously. Once you get to the movement activation it just goes like it's supposed to. I know, Captain Obvious but still...

Love hearing the gentle click sound with every press of a direction. That, coupled with the click of the shoulder buttons when strafing is pretty damn awesome.

Seems this mod would also resolve any indication of up/left movement on the pro pad. Just spun Doom Guy in a shitload of circles both directions and he never left his position. I know, would have to be tested against a known controller with the issue but this feels very exact and modern.

• Thanks 1

I was able to try out one of these controllers last night. I was not sure if it would feel right or handle correctly.  After a few minutes of playing, boy was I surprised how natural it felt. It controls really well. I am beyond impressed with it!  Surpasses all my expectations! Really top-notch!!!

Great job Bratwurst!!!!

• Thanks 1

On 1/3/2020 at 12:06 PM, Bratwurst said:

CPzmRX8.jpgNH8iFjX.jpg

I have just completed a batch of ten last night. Please see the sale thread here:

They take more time to produce than my Neo Geo pads- the plastic parts twice as long to build on the 3D printer, then cutting the controller plastic, PCB and rewiring and switch adjustment. I could produce 4-5 Neo pads a day, these Jag pads I can only produce 2 a day.

Instead of firing up my Jaguar each time, in order to test each pad as I made them I put together a custom enclosed Jaguar USB converter from Raphnet:

CYxA2eA.jpgbrHYyGH.jpg

After this batch sells, I would be happy to just modify anyone's pad that they would prefer to send in, rather than have to buy a brand new one from me.

Any estimate what the cost might be to send in a controller to have it modded?