Bratwurst

Replacing the Jaguar d-pad with a clicky thumbstick

Once I finalize the design I'll probably get a bunch of Propads together and offer them for sale pre-modded, and we can work out some kind of trade if anyone would have wanted to have shipped theirs to get modded, provided your pad was in good condition and not banged up badly. Or I could just mod it for you if you're particularly sentimental with it. ;) Hoping to have something concrete by the end of the month.

By the nature of trimming plastic inside and cutting the upper PCB, this mod is obviously not intended to be reversible.

Edited by Bratwurst
  • Like 2

I’ll take a pre-modded for sure, no trade needed :) options are always good though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Bratwurst said:

I've had some time in between projects to work on this some more. I do apologize for going quiet on this for a few months. While I have a design for the 3 button controller more or less 'ready', ( it would require some tweaking since I had made it with an elaborate 3 button harness on the back for RREDDWARFF, that most people would not want or use ) the feedback in here convinced me I should focus on a dedicated mount for the 6 button propad. I can always go back to the 3 button controller later.

3zhAtzQ.jpghfvetHY.jpg

Once you start cutting into this bad boy there's no going back. :P

I would like to make a run of pre-modded controllers available first to folk on Atari Age and then other people elsewhere, but I could do something for your specific situation too. Anyone unsatisfied with their d-pad I could see arranging some kind of partial credit in exchange, like a core charge.

Just what you see for now, I'll be posting pictures and video with more regularity. I hope. :P

lol sorry but no. That's just asking to chop up way too much plastic and hang some kind of hinky monkey off the side of the pad. Why would you want two simultaneous sets of inputs that function the same? This would not be like the Playstation or Xbox where the games have analog and digital controls. The Jaguar's library is entirely digital input excepting the Tempest rotary mod. If you want to use the original d-pad the 99% of unmodified ones left in the world are waiting to be held in your hands.

I was thinking Bellow the dpad.  But  get what your saying. Just some games I prefer to play with dpad others with a stick. 

5 hours ago, Bratwurst said:

Once I finalize the design I'll probably get a bunch of Propads together and offer them for sale pre-modded, and we can work out some kind of trade if anyone would have wanted to have shipped theirs to get modded, provided your pad was in good condition and not banged up badly. Or I could just mod it for you if you're particularly sentimental with it. ;) Hoping to have something concrete by the end of the month.

By the nature of trimming plastic inside and cutting the upper PCB, this mod is obviously not intended to be reversible.

Very cool, that's great to hear! I'm in the camp that would most certainly be interesting in sending my Starwander six button to have modded. I've tried everything with the d-pad but it's simply unusable to me. I wouldn't want a perfectly good rest of the controller go to waste, and I enjoy my clicky Neo-Geo CD directional pad as well--a combination of the two could be very interesting to use.

I bought some of Brats neo geo mini controllers and they are the real deal!  

Hope you can find the time to do a batch of these for Jaguar good sir. 

EDIT:  Yes good call on doing this with the new pro-pads!  I'm in for two! 

• Like 1

The pro pad version looks real tidy as well!

Question: since the stick doesn't seem to have a gate, how is it's movement mechanically stopped?

The analog stick has a physical limitation to how far you can move in either axis, but I have experimented with a restriction ring that sits on the top as part of the retention piece. For the Neo Geo pads I've been modding there was no reasonable room for this and there may not be available room with this thumbstick either (there are clearance issues with the arc of the thumbstick cap) but overall it isn't an issue. At least not for me. ;)

• Like 2