IGNORED

Best N64 Games to Collect for?

I recently started paying more attention to my Nintendo 64 collection. I had a bunch of games that I bought with with system years ago, but I recently found out I can get some games for pretty cheap where I live. So before the local market changes, as it often does, I'll get as many N64 games as I can. At this point, I pretty much know what to look for: racing games, Mario, Zelda, Super Smash Bros. and some of those rare and elusive titles everyone pretty much knows about, but even if I have some experience with N64 games because I used to play a lot of ROMs on an emulator growing up, there are a lot of games I might not know about. I recently watched a video about Chameleon Twist 1 and 2 from My Life in Gaming and I'm definitely getting those because they look pretty good even if they didn't get glowing reviews back in the day. Also, I'm super excited because I just got a copy of International Superstar Soccer 2000 which can be quite expensive. Maybe I can get another cheap copy for the purposes of trading... I have to say I just have around 15 titles and none of them are extremely special, so I won't bore you with a list. But is there anything I might be missing from? Maybe a bunch of games that were ignored back in the day because the critics weren't very kind or something that arrived late in the system's life cycle? Thanks!

Edited by Games Retrospect
I accidentally submitted the post before it was done.

You might already have it on your list, but one of my favorite, lesser known N64 titles was Blast Corps. A very interesting and different game where you pilot various vehicles and mechs to destroy buildings and structures that are in the way of a nuclear carrier. (That story) It's surprisingly fun little gem! 

• Like 2

Chameleon Twist 1/2 I didn't have, but family did, and if you're into non-overkill collection style platforming then it's a good choice.

I can not back up enough Punisher about Doom.  I remember countless really stupid comments made in the early days of the internet in the back half of the 90s making the same ignorant statement, console port of the PC game.  NO it is not.  It's truly DOOM 3, not that pop scare every 15-30sec turd we got years later.  The game is written using iDs doom bible using bits that were even left out of the first couple games, including the concept of a super weapon in pieces used against a really evil bad final boss they realized in this game.  Very well made stages, enemy play, solid boss setup too.

Either way price aside, I can recommend some pretty nice stuff, not all system unique exactly but worthy.  Either Goemon game, Hybrid Heaven, and Castlevania Legacy of Darkness all from Konami, and from Capcom both their conversions of Mega Man 64 (Legend1) and Resident Evil 2 (high res version of the game.)  If you're cool on importing, Bangaioh, Sin&Punishment, Evangelion, Puyo Sun 64 are all solid picks.  Midway put a duo of solid games that DC/Arcade more or less got with Hydro Thunder, Gauntlet Legends, and Ready 2 Rumble Boxing and the N64 games are surprisingly not DC quality but closer to it than the very badly done PS1 versions.  More or less any version of Tetris, even Tetrisphere are good choices but for puzzles Pokemon Puzzle League and Wetrix stand out as good stuff.  Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine is a PC conversion, a bit buggy, but upgraded over PC with equal graphics/audio strangely enough but superior camera and play control adopted from Ocarina of Time.  Lucas also had 3 Star Wars releases, Naboo is a so-so one but still fine yet Pod Racer and Rogue Squadron are solid.  Bomberman Hero is another strange one as it's not your usual 80s since played out grid bomberman game, but it's a very very well done Mario-ish style platformer..

I can keep going but this is a good stopping point for now.  Of the 300 games the US got, seriously about 40-50 are really worth trying and probably enjoying which is a strangely high percentage for any system.  As long as you can get beyond the first generation dated early 3D visuals, perhaps even consider them a period relic for fun as early 2D gamers feel about their stuff, all the better.

On 8/17/2019 at 11:49 AM, KeeperofLindblum said:

You might already have it on your list, but one of my favorite, lesser known N64 titles was Blast Corps. A very interesting and different game where you pilot various vehicles and mechs to destroy buildings and structures that are in the way of a nuclear carrier. (That story) It's surprisingly fun little gem! 

And it has a kickass soundtrack! I've owned my copy for 22 years!

23 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

Doom64 because it only came out on the N64 and its pretty damn good

Technically it's also on PC now... using Doom 64 EX. It's a much better way to play in my opinion. It does require the N64 rom to play though.  Great game either way!

Edited by DragonGrafx-16
  • Like 1

-The 3 San Francisco Rush games are really sweet. Might not be cheap. 

-Command and Conquer 64 should be cheap, and it's a unique version to the N64 IIRC.

-Body Harvest: It's not really that good (but it's not bad), mostly because the controls are raw, early 3rd person 3d camera problems. But it's interesting to see what would eventually be boiler plate Grand Theft Auto 3 and up gameplay. It's also another cheap game to acquire. Personally I like the game, but it's hated by many.

-Battletanx & Battletanx Global Assault: Eh...you get to drive an M-1 Abrams tank, blow up other tanks, and level cities with nuclear weapons. 

Gauntlet Legends on N64 is a great choice as it's the only one thats more like an action RPG as opposed to straight action.  Power ups can be turned on and off to save them. That allowed you to sell them to buy power ups you want, more health or even boost an attribute.

Space Station Silicon Valley is a different game. Part platformer and part puzzle game, you need to take control of different zany robots to try to fix your ship (or something like that).

• 2 weeks later...