IGNORED

10 Liner Basic/XB Contest WINNERS ANNOUNCEMENT!

Vorticon

It is my great pleasure to announce that we have 2 clear winners for the contest:

TI BASIC category: tibasic for SWAMP with 47% of the votes

XB Category: kl99 for TI GAME ENGINE X with 42% of the votes

Congratulations on winning this stiff competition as I continue to marvel at all the creativity displayed by every entry. 

tibasic and kl99, please PM me with your preference of prize. (1x NIB Atari Flashback Blast! Volume 1 and 1x NIB Activision Flashback Blast!)

Until next year's contest... :)

Atari Flashback Blast.png

Activision Flashback Blast.png

• Like 9

Dear Vorticon, thanks for making this contest and for your generous offer on having prices!

Congrats to tibasic on taking the challenge on doing a 10 liner in plain TI BASIC, and making a game like Swamp a success.

I really enjoyed this programming competition. Most of my spare time I was able to explore all kind of things for this game,

and to squeeze in yet some more bytes. I had the idea with the Game & Watch game recreation at the beginning of the contest.

The initial check whether such a scrolling game is doable at all within RXB I did on 2nd of June. Yes! It is Possible!

From that point on I wanted to at least get the game working, even if in the end it does not fit within 10 lines.

So first, a structured version with lots of REMarks was using over 90 lines :). 90 lines is too much but the engine was basically working.

Next goal was to trim the code down to 10 lines. :) That was quite some work and research.

At 17th July I accomplished that. Afterwards I tried to add automatic sound play using the ISR, which made it too large again, by far.

And again more tweaking needed to get it down to 10 lines yet again.

For those interested in programming I started a thread for us all to share everyons findings on XB Programming, how to save bytes, and to get out of the 10 available lines of code. My hope is that this thread is full of ideas when the next 10 liner contest is starting off :)

Klaus

• Like 5

I must say, the 10 line contest has been as completely entertaining as has it been wholly educational. I was initially expecting this to be exceptionally hokey ...hmm, Not a good bet, in retrospect.

Tursi's patient and insightful review was more thorough than mine own... I intend to re-watch ...after some digestion time. It always seems special to see others' working so religiously towards an inspired goal! This for me, has been a welcome distraction from life's woes!

I have lost my lust to write/create action graphics games along the way over the years somewhere... my interests moving more strictly towards user input methods, process control programming and interfacing electronics. Oh well, maybe next time.

I hope to see more fun works and impressive accomplishments, in the future!

-CONGRATULATIONS-
 **tibasic**kl99**

:party: :party:

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, theincrediblepeep said:

Hi, Omega!  Thanks, I use Adobe Premiere on Windows.  Do you create TI videos?

Vorticon, I'm flattered; thanks!

Thanks for the info on the program you use.  Yes, I create "mostly" TI videos, with a sprinkling of asian music and dashcam rants.   You can view them << HERE >>.

-- EDIT --

I went to check out the program.... sadly, that looks like one I'll never own.  I have a huge aversion to programs that I have to 'subscribe' to (pay and pay and pay again) for, especially for how little I'd use it.  I do it with my VPN and PC's security software, but that's it.  I guess I'll stick to what I have.

Edited by --- Ω ---
  • Like 1

On 9/14/2019 at 7:03 AM, --- Ω --- said:

I went to check out the program.... sadly, that looks like one I'll never own.  I have a huge aversion to programs that I have to 'subscribe' to (pay and pay and pay again) for, especially for how little I'd use it. 

Oh, believe me, I understand!  My version of Premiere is like 10 years old, before Adobe started doing all that awful subscription junk.  Adobe subscription products are painfully bad.