IGNORED

converter

onemoretime

Was getting ready to buy a Atarimax tonight, and got my modded 5200 out to make certain that it still worked just to find out that I can't hook it up to my new 60" Tv. I ran it for years off of composite on my old 60", but the new one just has HDMI. I ve searched the forums, but can t find any posts made lately on a converter that wasn t a kit.  I plan on running three different consoles that I already have composite mods on, and what I have read talks about frame rate and speed this and latency that. Are there any simple recommendations?

After researching here and elsewhere most of the night, I m more confused than ever. I don t think I need a really expensive one like the Framemeister, as most that play here wouldn t know a slight color variation anyhow. I m more worried about lag and blur. I read some good stuff about this one https://www.amazon.com/Tensun-Composite-Converter-Upscaler-Nintendo/dp/B019T0WFA4/ref=pd_cp_23_4?pd_rd_w=weBIl&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=Q98D7ZMQ7P27PNN4MRRZ&pd_rd_r=ef429ef3-5d21-40db-b44a-e95029be1e9d&pd_rd_wg=Bg9MB&pd_rd_i=B019T0WFA4&psc=1&refRID=Q98D7ZMQ7P27PNN4MRRZ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RetroTink 2x is a pretty popular option for retro gaming composite to HDMI. A little pricy in comparison to the Amazon one, but also probably higher quality.

The only thing you need to assemble on this "kit" is a couple plexiglass sheets with screws and spacers that act as a case. Probably 5 minutes of work.

Don't forget to add the mini HDMI adaptor, unless you happen to have one already. 

http://www.retrotink.com/

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

If the tv has coax just get a vcr.  Thats what I do.

He stated his 5200 was AV modded. Depending on the mod the RF likely doesn't work or has been removed. The electronicsentimentalies mod boards for instance require you to lift pins off the GTIA to connect to the AV mod board. As a result of this, you kill the video going to the RF section at that point. It is also why current AV modded 5200s, no longer work with the VCS adapter either.

I think the Retrotink is his best option as it can be used for composite, s-video and component setups and be used for as long as HDMI is around.

10 minutes ago, -^Cro§Bow^- said:

He stated his 5200 was AV modded. Depending on the mod the RF likely doesn't work or has been removed. The electronicsentimentalies mod boards for instance require you to lift pins off the GTIA to connect to the AV mod board. As a result of this, you kill the video going to the RF section at that point. It is also why current AV modded 5200s, no longer work with the VCS adapter either.

I think the Retrotink is his best option as it can be used for composite, s-video and component setups and be used for as long as HDMI is around.

Yes but vcr has rca jack on the back and front sometimes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, -^Cro§Bow^- said:

I have not, but I know that @blainelocklair has one he uses with his AV modded consoles and perhaps @gorfcadet as well?

Cool.  I know everyone’s mileage may vary, based on type of TV, but it’s always nice to know whether or not the product is worth the investment.

VGP was also working on a RT type product.  Had some Japanese type name. Haven't heard anything since April though.

Ah, found it. And actually, my memory wasn't great on this one. It's not quite like the RT, as it doesn't output HDMI. Looks like it's more an expansion to the OSSC. So it would take composite/s-vid and convert to component. Which you could then feed to OSSC for HDMI. So if you already had an OSSC, this may or may not be a better option than the RT.

https://www.retrorgb.com/koryuu-composite-s-video-to-component-converter-announced.html

Why, yes, I do have a RetroTINK 2X. In short, it's perfect for the task. It takes in composite, component, or s-video and converts it into HDMI. But it does so in some very specific ways that really help. First, it outputs a 480p signal, which modern HDMI TVs seem to really like. All three of the ones around the house I've used all took the 480p signal gracefully and without complaint. It also can do some line doubling, making incoming 240 signals look a bit nicer on the output side. Finally, it can send out the signals in their native aspect ratios (at least for me they do), which really, really helps if the TV is fussy about compressing a natively 16:9 picture down to 4:3 for older consoles. My one and only dislike is that the TINK doesn't save your settings when it''s powered off, so I have to press a button on it each time it powers on. A very, very small price to pay to get such a nice looking, compliant image in HDMI from well over a dozen different consoles and computers running through a switch box.

Hope all of this helps!

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, blainelocklair said:

Why, yes, I do have a RetroTINK 2X. In short, it's perfect for the task. It takes in composite, component, or s-video and converts it into HDMI. But it does so in some very specific ways that really help. First, it outputs a 480p signal, which modern HDMI TVs seem to really like. All three of the ones around the house I've used all took the 480p signal gracefully and without complaint. It also can do some line doubling, making incoming 240 signals look a bit nicer on the output side. Finally, it can send out the signals in their native aspect ratios (at least for me they do), which really, really helps if the TV is fussy about compressing a natively 16:9 picture down to 4:3 for older consoles. My one and only dislike is that the TINK doesn't save your settings when it''s powered off, so I have to press a button on it each time it powers on. A very, very small price to pay to get such a nice looking, compliant image in HDMI from well over a dozen different consoles and computers running through a switch box.

Hope all of this helps!

?

16 minutes ago, onemoretime said:

I left a message with the U.S. distributor, which is Castlemania. I ll report what I find...

As far as I know, Mike (the creator of Retro Tink and owns the website I linked) also sells them directly on his website and is in the US. He has a buy now link on his website and lists a 2-3 day ship date.

Unless you need something else from Castlemania and want to combine shipping, you are probably better off buying directly from him.

9 hours ago, nick3092 said:

RetroTink 2x is a pretty popular option for retro gaming composite to HDMI. A little pricy in comparison to the Amazon one, but also probably higher quality.

The only thing you need to assemble on this "kit" is a couple plexiglass sheets with screws and spacers that act as a case. Probably 5 minutes of work.

Don't forget to add the mini HDMI adaptor, unless you happen to have one already. 

http://www.retrotink.com/

Thank all for the help, and especially you for the heads up on the adapter. I never even know there was a mini hdmi.

Since I m buying not so fun stuff, one last question.... Does anyone have a suggestion for a quality, but not Earth shattering expensive shielded set of composite cables? They ll have to be close to 20' to get from where I ll have the console when playing to the Retrotink I just purchased.

2 hours ago, onemoretime said:

Since I m buying not so fun stuff, one last question.... Does anyone have a suggestion for a quality, but not Earth shattering expensive shielded set of composite cables? They ll have to be close to 20' to get from where I ll have the console when playing to the Retrotink I just purchased.

Monoprice is known for quality cables at reasonable prices. 

It comes in 6, 15, or 25' lengths. It is RG59, so it is fairly thick and can be a little awkward when it comes to flexibility. But it is a good shielded cable.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2181

But you are probably better off keeping the RT near the console with a short composite cable, and instead getting a longer HDMI to run between the RT and TV. Again, Monoprice is your friend.

https://www.monoprice.com/category/cables/hdmi-cables/hdmi-cables

15 hours ago, onemoretime said:

After researching here and elsewhere most of the night, I m more confused than ever. I don t think I need a really expensive one like the Framemeister, as most that play here wouldn t know a slight color variation anyhow. I m more worried about lag and blur. I read some good stuff about this one https://www.amazon.com/Tensun-Composite-Converter-Upscaler-Nintendo/dp/B019T0WFA4/ref=pd_cp_23_4?pd_rd_w=weBIl&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=Q98D7ZMQ7P27PNN4MRRZ&pd_rd_r=ef429ef3-5d21-40db-b44a-e95029be1e9d&pd_rd_wg=Bg9MB&pd_rd_i=B019T0WFA4&psc=1&refRID=Q98D7ZMQ7P27PNN4MRRZ

I had one just like this, but it had a different brand name on it.  IIRC,  one day it quit working, but I don't remember details and I don't want to dig it out.  I replaced it with one I like better.   ***Let me see if I can find it for you*** YMMV on these deals...

Well, OK This may just be for information purposes only because it appears to be unavailable...Damn!   (I'd say look for something similar,..But I mainly used it for S-Video)..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WVD2NVF/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B06WVD2NVF&linkCode=as2&tag=bestprodtag8067-20

15 hours ago, nick3092 said:

Monoprice is known for quality cables at reasonable prices. 

It comes in 6, 15, or 25' lengths. It is RG59, so it is fairly thick and can be a little awkward when it comes to flexibility. But it is a good shielded cable.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2181

But you are probably better off keeping the RT near the console with a short composite cable, and instead getting a longer HDMI to run between the RT and TV. Again, Monoprice is your friend.

https://www.monoprice.com/category/cables/hdmi-cables/hdmi-cables

Hmmm. Maybe I ll buy two sets and try it both ways.  My setup has built in wall shelves for my games, and drawers that pull out for my consoles. Then I flip a light switch to turn on my consoles.  I was hoping to mount the retrotink on the wall, and keep it simple to pull the console and cables out. But, if the retrotink doesnt like it, I ll figure something else out. Maybe it would be better to have my consoles on a trolly that slides into the wall, and I could just roll the whole rig out to my couch. Actually, I might even kinda dig that idear.

15 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Maybe this one would do the trick?  

I have an HDMI Audio Extractor from this same company and it's working well...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JYCXP3S?ref_=ams_ad_dp_ttl

**EDIT**  Sorry, I just noticed that you said you bought a Retro Tink...I should probably pay more attention haha...

Thank you for your help.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 4:52 AM, onemoretime said:

Was getting ready to buy a Atarimax tonight, and got my modded 5200 out to make certain that it still worked just to find out that I can't hook it up to my new 60" Tv. I ran it for years off of composite on my old 60", but the new one just has HDMI. I ve searched the forums, but can t find any posts made lately on a converter that wasn t a kit.  I plan on running three different consoles that I already have composite mods on, and what I have read talks about frame rate and speed this and latency that. Are there any simple recommendations?

Whats the AtariMax?