IGNORED

Popeye hack.... whaaat again ?

TIX

nah, not even close looks like mario and luigi hats...

interesting fact... one of the only Robin Williams movies that was a flop btw. it was criticized for nearly all aspects including wardrobe.. a musical? what were they thinking.

but you just need to look at the arcade game itself to know what hat they had in mind

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0145628/

complete with the history of how the game came to be... look at all the artwork and then the game... cool stuff..

check out a handful of mame vids etc as well...

Edited by _The Doctor__

Nintendo's Olive doesn't translate well,

I don't like her head from the side, and she doesn't look like she is sending kisses..

then I realized we don't even have 3 frames available :(

olive-nes.gif.19634ee7ba8ef09038f67ac2cb413f93.gif   olive-new1.gif.540715a43e3f7741973f53551921b8cc.gif

so I improvised !

smaller head -> done

thin like a pool cue ? -> check

sending kisses ? -> Popeye catch

2113619928_walkcompare2.gif.0c173b7ce8845fbe2acd8435437f20ea.gifolive-new7.gif.e95cc2fd0366887fd02637e166eb7548.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Instead of working on the game, I got sidetracked and try to animate various scenes of Popeye in 8 bits..

In the process interesting things (as the following) pop up, I really love this.. :D I will definitely use it in the hack,

..but only if I find the missing beta version of the hack.. I have already contact Darryl and Playsoft and waiting for news.

1139210751_popeyepunchmonochrome1.gif.a3562640b4cdbb1213bc02295aaa09d9.gif

3 hours ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Sorry, didn't download v9 of Darryl's hack back in 2015.  Not sure why he removed the attachment from his post.  Hopefully he still has a copy.

Found it  ;)

Edited by TIX
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TIX said:

Found it  ;)

Where did you find it? It took me forever to find it.

I really liked this punch. People didn't like it, because Popeye was all white (like the ColecoVision version).

It is based off of the arcade punch frame.

I am disappointed, because the rest of the Popeye frames are not the final ones, so Popeye's head isn't as accurate as the final v.12.

I am also bummed, because I do not think a 5200 version was ever compiled. I would like to put this on my AtariMax to play on the TV!

Enjoy.

Popeye(MonoPunch).xex

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/24/2019 at 10:08 AM, TIX said:

Nintendo's Olive doesn't translate well,

I don't like her head from the side, and she doesn't look like she is sending kisses..

then I realized we don't even have 3 frames available :(

olive-nes.gif.19634ee7ba8ef09038f67ac2cb413f93.gif   olive-new1.gif.540715a43e3f7741973f53551921b8cc.gif

so I improvised !

smaller head -> done

thin like a pool cue ? -> check

sending kisses ? -> Popeye catch

2113619928_walkcompare2.gif.0c173b7ce8845fbe2acd8435437f20ea.gifolive-new7.gif.e95cc2fd0366887fd02637e166eb7548.gif

I like the use of black for the graphics. I tried to use that too, but it caused issues.

It's not really black. It's transparent. The staircase and ladder colors show through, and it distorted my characters.

I would guess you might run into the same issue, but hard to say until you try them in the game.

3 hours ago, darryl1970 said:

Where did you find it? It took me forever to find it.

Playsoft came to the rescue !

I am kind of an arcade purist, but I really see Popeye's walk in this. It's a nice concept.

Thanks man !

Well I play around with at least 3 different walks at the moment and I must decide..

I'm thinking of releasing an "arcade" version, and then a custom animated one ! that punch is too good to left behind :P

Then maybe not, we'll see..

Edited by TIX

I like the use of black for the graphics. I tried to use that too, but it caused issues.

It's not really black. It's transparent. The staircase and ladder colors show through, and it distorted my characters.

I would guess you might run into the same issue, but hard to say until you try them in the game.

Yes I have thought of that.. at least it's an easy fix if it goes south !

Since you are here I wonder if you can point me in the right direction:

I can't seem to locate Wimpy, Swee'pea, the witch and her vulture.. are they playfield or something ?

What about the bottles ? are they missiles ??

Thanks in advance !

12 hours ago, TIX said:

I can't seem to locate Wimpy, Swee'pea, the witch and her vulture.. are they playfield or something ?

What about the bottles ? are they missiles ??

Thanks in advance !

Playsoft got back to me..  they are all playfield :(

..a bit complicated for me, but I'll give it a shot !

I mainly want to edit Swee'pea to be smaller (in analogy with the rest of the crew)  and the bottles to fly sideways,  I'm pretty happy with the rest of them !

53 minutes ago, TIX said:

Playsoft got back to me..  they are all playfield :(

..a bit complicated for me, but I'll give it a shot !

I mainly want to edit Swee'pea to be smaller (in analogy with the rest of the crew)  and the bottles to fly sideways,  I'm pretty happy with the rest of them !

The bottles would look good sideways, if there was enough room. I think they may only be 4x8 (double wide pixels, due to multi-color mode). It really limits what can be done with them.

In addition to that, with a lot of background area, they would also look odd when floating over the staircases.

There are a lot of limitations that we discovered as projects progressed. It gives me a newfound respect for those who didn't have the awesome tools we have today. Add that to long compile times, deadlines, memory restrictions, etc., and it really raises my appreciation.

I hacked the NES Popeye too. I was hoping to make it more arcade-like. I figured the extra resolution and extra colors would make it easy to upgrade it to a more arcade-like look. When I got in, I realized the programmers had positioned certain sprites to keep too many sprites from being rendered on the same horizontal line. Also, the sprites were short. It limited what I was able to do.

PopeyeArcade(DEG) 3.bmp

29 minutes ago, darryl1970 said:

There are a lot of limitations that we discovered as projects progressed. It gives me a newfound respect for those who didn't have the awesome tools we have today. Add that to long compile times, deadlines, memory restrictions, etc., and it really raises my appreciation.

Yeah I know playfield editing is hard work..

I messed with it heavily, when I hacked Mr. Do to Dig Dug.. all the creatures were playfield, literally hundreds of frames....  it was brutal  :-o

P.S. excellent work on the Nes version of Popeye !

At last some progress,

size analogy turned up just right ! :D

I'm starting to squeeze everything in,

with the help of a great Playsoft utility, I can edit the sprites on the fly, so it won't be long..

Also now we have sideways flying bottles !

Compo2.JPG.c6653e9ed27cde4b4aabcfb10a84b2dc.JPG

Problems:

• Unfortunately the animation suffers from the lightning speed of the walk cycle.. a common problem of games at the time :(
  • I had to give up of Popeyes Sailing cap.. it looked taller in game.
  • for some strange reason Brutus floats 1 pixel up from the floor, problem of the original.

I'm working on it

Edited by TIX
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, TIX said:

At last some progress,

size analogy turned up just right ! :D

I'm starting to squeeze everything in,

with the help of a great Playsoft utility, I can edit the sprites on the fly, so it won't be long..

Also now we have sideways flying bottles !

Compo2.JPG.c6653e9ed27cde4b4aabcfb10a84b2dc.JPG

Problems:

• Unfortunately the animation suffers from the lightning speed of the walk cycle.. a common problem of games at the time :(
  • I had to give up of Popeyes Sailing cap.. it looked taller in game.
  • for some strange reason Brutus floats 1 pixel up from the floor, problem of the original.

I'm working on it

Great work.

This game is a childhood favourite of many, so these enhancements are warmly received.

Looking forward to seeing the enhanced bottles.

What is the latest version available to us, the eager and appreciative public? :)

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

Where are you getting the name Brutus from?!? I've known the character as BLUTO all my life: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popeye

"Various Popeye media such as video games and memorabilia identify their villain as Brutus."

Edited by Paul Daniel
  • Like 2

Bluto is the strong muscular character, Brutus is the fat character.

The alternate character with a different name and dimensions were made for a short time over some improbable copyright worries. When movies and and later efforts were made they used whichever name they felt like. If you want to be accurate, they are suppose to be two different characters. I always wanted both of them in the same flick or comic and name the thing 'Double Trouble for Popeye!'      perhaps there's a game in that?

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2