IGNORED

Astra 2001 dual disk drive for trade

dafivehole

I've been restoring this disk drive and I've hit a wall (so to speak)... you can see the thread here: 

With not a lot of time (or knowledge) to finish this project, I've decided to trade it to someone who really wants it.  I will provide all pictures that I've taken so far as well as pics from a gentleman on FB that has one as well (we've been comparing pics throughout this process).

As far as trades, I'm looking for an XF551 drive, 130XE or 1200XL.  I've always wanted something from the 520/1040 ST line as well...  Please, just let me know what you have.

Thank you,

Roger

Nice! I've never, ever seen an Astra drive in real life, but lusted after the 1620 when it was first announced. I'd be interested to know if anyone in Canada was able to purchase one of their products -- I was told by one dealer that they could "get" one for me when I was searching for my first drive in 1985, but no one had any in stock.

I grew up in Vancouver during this time and I know I had to buy my Indus GT drive from the US.  There wasn't much of anything available in Canada, or least in Vancouver at the time.  I used to see all of the ads in Antic and always wondered what most of the stuff looked in person!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Pretty cool looking!  Though, not as pretty as the MSD-2 for the Commodore :D  Are these as compatible as the single drives, like the 1050?

Based on a recent ROM dump and disassembly of an Astra "1001" ROM, I suspect the 2001 ROM may be identical to the 1001 ROM, which is in turn very similar to a PERCOM ROM, drive & controller. I'm dying to find out though....

As for the MSD-2 for commodore.... I had to look it up - are you kidding? this thing looks uglier than (or at least as ugly as) a PERCOM. :P

220px-Msdsd2dualdiskdrive9xh.jpg.4e89a01bb29b7996f28c63cac005e99a.jpg

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...