IGNORED

A heroic weekend experiment

cmadruga

Finally got some time over the weekend, and was trying to muster courage to go back to my Killer Bees+ project...

But then got sidetracked by working on the attached. Anyway, thought about sharing it even though it will probably not go anywhere.

(Arming bombs requires pressing one of the side buttons.)

Edited by cmadruga
  • Like 3

cmadruga

just an idea: how hard would it be to generate procedurally the levels?

I expect you have encoded the levels as macro blocks with level elements.

One could generate a level like a tree using passable elements and add connections between branch randomly.

just an idea....

3 hours ago, artrag said:

cmadruga

just an idea: how hard would it be to generate procedurally the levels?

I expect you have encoded the levels as macro blocks with level elements.

One could generate a level like a tree using passable elements and add connections between branch randomly.

just an idea....

Actually, that IS something I have thought about...  interesting that you brought it up. That would open up the possibility not just of new levels not seen in the original, but of a possible new “rogue-like” game mode.

To me it’s more a matter of nailing down the level generation logic. The elements are all already in place: macro blocks that indicate spawn points, explodable vs solid elements, etc.

You see, the original levels are quite linear, but there’s nothing really preventing us from having levels that involve some backtracking, with multiple miners to be rescued, etc... 

It’s all about that generation logic.

• Thanks 1

Just for brainstorming, from what I've seen: 

the rooms can have from one up to five spawn points on the top

there can be one or two exits on the sides (left/right)

there can be from one up to five exits from the bottom

I would partition a room in one to five vertical elements, corresponding to the number of passages from the top 

The idea  was wandering about is a random tree generated by a pseudorandom sequence.

The nodes/leafs are the elements fractions of the room.

If the element is the one on the left or on the right, it can have as branch an exit on the right/left and an exit on the floor

If the element in in the middle, it can have as branch only an exit on the floor

Add a random possibility that elements of the same room can be connected with free or destructible passages... 

Looks like a reasonable first stab at it, however we would need to consider what to do with water.

In the original, once you hit a screen with water, 1) you can only exit right/left AND 2) the following screens will all have water too.

#2 would not necessarily be a requirement for the algorithm, but I always thought it was nice thematic touch on the original game. It brings the idea of being so deep you have hit a water table...

• Like 1

You could define a random depth at which the water starts and prune all the nodes that falls above that depth  

You have to take care of the fact that the node depth as to be counted only for branches on the floor/ceiling, taking into account that branches on left/right do not count in the depth

• Like 1

Very cool!!! 

H.E.R.O. is one of my favorite Atari 2600 game.  I used to come downstairs overnight and play this game when I was a kid.  I thought the guy you were recusing was reading a book down there. 

One detail that you might miss that you're able to blast the wall away with your laser blast, it takes a lot of shots, but that's one way to get by if you run out of bomb. 

19 hours ago, cmadruga said:

Thanks for the feedback, folks. This is not to say that those tiles are final. I put those together in like 10 mins, and am open to contributions or suggestions. While I’m excited about it, I still see this as a (fun) experiment.

Excellent job so far,

also a favorite of mine on all platforms !

I recently completed a sprite hack for the Atari 8-bit version of H.E.R.O, final version here -> HERO

discussion -> https://atariage.com/forums/topic/285756-hero-sprite-hack/page/3/#comments

If you are interested, I will be glad to help upgrade this graphically..

Roderick-new.gif.b128d1b808ed4fd3a938144395354ed6.gif

Edited by TIX