IGNORED

Tested/known working SD Cart types/models

Saturn

For homebrews etc is it worth getting a bigger SD capacity? If bigger than 32GB you need to format the card as FAT32 of course, which I did recently with a 128GB microSD for a Sega Saturn + Phoebe setup. Worked fine. I like Samsung and Sandisk cards, and Samsung are cheaper especially at the higher capacities.

Edited by Pinballs

3 hours ago, SainT said:

Basically any micro SD which supports the SPI interface (which should be all of them)

I recall reading somewhere a long time ago that SPI support was actually optional for microSD cards, but it doesn't seem to be mentioned in the current version of the spec. I doubt any manufacturer did build cards that didn't support it anyways, as it would have been incompatible with too many existing devices.

On the other hand, couterfeit SD cards are a real problem. A friend whose company made a consumer device with a SD card slot told me that most of their problems with SD cards were caused by the consumers unknowingly using flaky counterfeit cards.

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 2

On 8/26/2019 at 12:14 AM, Zerosquare said:

I recall reading somewhere a long time ago that SPI support was actually optional for microSD cards, but it doesn't seem to be mentioned in the current version of the spec. I doubt any manufacturer did build cards that didn't support it anyways, as it would have been incompatible with too many existing devices.

On the other hand, couterfeit SD cards are a real problem. A friend whose company made a consumer device with a SD card slot told me that most of their problems with SD cards were caused by the consumers unknowingly using flaky counterfeit cards.

Absolutely -- fake memory cards are a huge issue. I guess less of an issue for small cards, though, as they are cheap anyway!

Buy a branded 32GB card and that should do you for life. ;)

Edited by SainT
  • Like 1

I bought a Sandisk 400GB in preparation, just so I don't have to upgrade for CD support later (still plenty of extra space but the price difference wasn't huge). I imagine someone will try one before I get one (I'm still ~180 down the list) but if not, I'll let ya know!

10 hours ago, Hastor said:

I bought a Sandisk 400GB in preparation, just so I don't have to upgrade for CD support later (still plenty of extra space but the price difference wasn't huge). I imagine someone will try one before I get one (I'm still ~180 down the list) but if not, I'll let ya know!

I have no idea if this will work or not! Make sure it's FAT32 formatted. :)

• Like 1

I was able to format a 64 GB SanDisk branded micro SD card with a 3rd party application. My card out of the box would only allow SDXC,there was no Fat32 option with Windows 10. I Googled 3rd party freeware apps and came across one called AOMEI Partician Assistant(standard version.)  It does lock you out of all its features(have to buy a license) but for formatting devices this area works without having to buy anything. I went ahead and formatted and sure enough my card is now Fat32 :)  I've already tried it and everything works great. As far as I can tell there's no bloatware included in the software,looks good.

Here's the link for anyone who needs to format their cards with this software.

https://www.disk-partition.com/download-home.html

Thank You Saint for a super fast delivery(I'm in California and it got here pretty fast.) 

Well done on such a great working device.

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zerosquare said:

On this subject: Microsoft just released the specs for exFAT:

https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/opensource/2019/08/28/exfat-linux-kernel/

That's interesting, FatFS already has exFAT support. It still seems a bit unclear as to who can use it, though, it doesn't seem as though is license free still.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I just got mine and have tried 3 different brands of Cards in different Sizes and all of them refuse to work just get "Memory Card Unreadable" everytime. Could that be a problem with the Game Drive Itself? These memory cards read perfectly on my computer with no issues at all and I have reformatted to Fat32 and reuploaded everything multiple times each card and still nothing. 

Edited by UHATEIT

• 2 months later...
On 3/25/2021 at 3:10 PM, UHATEIT said:

I just got mine and have tried 3 different brands of Cards in different Sizes and all of them refuse to work just get "Memory Card Unreadable" everytime. Could that be a problem with the Game Drive Itself? These memory cards read perfectly on my computer with no issues at all and I have reformatted to Fat32 and reuploaded everything multiple times each card and still nothing. 

I'm having the exact same issue.  Tried cleaning my Jaguar, the cartridge (which is literally brand new, unboxed only hours ago), the SD card... tried reformatting the SD card.  Which, btw, is an SD card that Stone Age Gamer shipped alongside my GameDrive...