IGNORED

Incognito question

scotty

1 hour ago, scotty said:

I have a quick question on the Incognito.   How do you use the HELP key?   Also, are the 4 function keys on a 1200XL emulated somehow?

They are perfectly usable, by leveraging EXISTING (dormant) code on XL/XE OS loads, that stem directly from the creation of the 1200 XL OS, since 1982/1983 (!)

Please, use attached OS-load which enables {CTR+F1/F4} 1200 XL keys, HELP key, including the latest (and most tested) extensions for booting RIGHT cartridges on XL/XE mode (now compliant with XL/XE OS cart-presence flag). Source-code of these extensions is available for anyone, if interested.

It also allows SELF-TEST routine to correctly select and test XE extended-memory banks (original XL/XE loads have a bank-selection hard-coded bug that prevents them from correctly doing so).  It also includes Altirra's EXCELLENT FPP package (v3.17, by Avery, and also found on his XL/XE 3.17 OS, which I highly recommend as companion), which will be capable of running not just faster, but (at times) 100 to 1,000 times (!) more precise than Newell's FPP package or even the XL monster FPP package loaded on my separate XE-r03 OS edition). All original functionality remains intact, nothing has been removed. Fully signed with correct checksums, as well.

AtariOS-800XEGS-Rev04-INCOG-F1_F4_H-FP-Rc-v3-Dated.ROM

Here's a quick summary of the key mappings (on 800). All run cycle-exact with respect to the 1200/XL/XE rom (e.g. completely transparent to the OS, because I counted the execution cycles of the re-mapping op-codes):

1. HELP key: SHIFT+CTRL+(Atari) Key
  2. DMA OFF: CTRL+(Atari) Key
  3. DMA ON: touch any key, any time.
  4. Keyboard LOCK: SHIFT+CTRL+DELETE:
    1. Ideal for "do not disturb", live demos, or cleaning and testing your keyboard.
  5. International Character Set: SHIFT+CTRL+(Caps/Lower):
    1. Just press regular CTRL+{A,S,D} keys, and then watch what happens when you enable the Int'l charset, on-screen.

Enjoy!

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, tjlazer said:

Nice. Why hasn’t anyone fixed the 130XE memory test yet? For the 130XE. Would be cool to have that working since it’s broken.

We can do this, of course.

You can use attached OS-load which is specifically tailored to XL/XE hosts (this one of the two XL/XE/XEGS loads I use on my Ultimates's). It does not carry RIGHT-cart booting extensions, but it does come with everything else (including SELF-TEST bank-selection correction). Fully signed with correct checksums.

AtariOS-800XEGS-Rev04-ULT1M-F1_F4-FP.rom

Cheers!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Faicuai said:

You can use attached OS-load which is specifically tailored to XL/XE hosts (this one of the two XL/XE/XEGS loads I use on my Ultimates's). It does not carry RIGHT-cart booting extensions, but it does come with everything else (including SELF-TEST bank-selection correction). Fully signed with correct checksums.

AtariOS-800XEGS-Rev04-ULT1M-F1_F4-FP.rom 16 kB · 7 downloads

Cheers!

Thank you Faicuai!! This is great. Do you have a repository of your OS's?

• Like 1

YES, I will prepare an update to the OS topic (HELP-Key on Incognito), and will include complete list and descriptions for both Incognito and Ultimate/XL/XE loads, with the most current versions I have flashed on all my systems.

Just be patient, and stay tuned!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

Nice work on the Incognito ROMs BTW.  Now that my 1088XLD has been completed, my 800 Incognito is next on the bench to get prepped and updated for the upcoming VCFMW :)  Be done before end of the weekend.

What about being done now?

For those that would like to get it all, pre-packaged and organized, here's my complete collection of Incognito ROMs (full XL/XE and Colleen package), with every setting and BIOS parameter already preset, on each BIOS profile, and ready to be immediately flashed at once, on your Incognto's 512KB flash-ROM chip:

incog_v9.rom

This is my every-day, all-days workhorse, and use according to the following criteria:

• BIOS Profile #1 (General Productivity):
    • (Set to COLOR=08)
    • Based on fully-loaded "XE04-fp.f14H.LR" OS rom, , and extensively relying on BIOS' PBI extensions.
    • High speed Floating Point package, directly from Altirra 3.17 (unbeatable balance between precision, speed and true 2KB code-space).
    • Running on RAMBO-1088K mode, BASIC disabled by default.
    • SDX dimensioned to 192KBytes, and GOS rom IS flashed and available! 
    • BIOS I/O sound synthesis is set to SIO-only (quiet for everything else)
    • Ideally suited (and configured) for use with SDX, booting from D5 (APT partition on Incognito's SIDE).
    • Supports high-speed modes for IndusGT on D1/D2 (left on hands of SDX) and PBI HSIO / PC-Link on D3 / D4 (best of all worlds).
    • Boot-drive control accessible with "D", so you can even boot a large 16MB (back-up) SDX .ATR from SIO attached on D1 or D2.
  • BIOS Profile #2 (Enhanced XL/XE compatibility):
    • (Set to COLOR=09)
    • Intended to be used as out-of-the box XL/XE, for booting legacy Atari OS, Basic and games-titles designed for XL/XE OS.
    • Based on fully-loaded "XE03-fp.f14H.L" OS rom, , and extensively relying on BIOS' PBI extensions.
    • Could also be ran or tested with included "TEST-fp-Aver317", especially with Basic and anything relying on OS calls for screen drawing, fill, etc.
    • Ultra-high performance Floating Point package, that takes close to  4 Kbytes of ROM space for the highest possible speed  (no Int'l Char. Set).
    • Running on CompyShop-576K mode, to ensure compatibility with XE extended-ram access for ANTIC. Videoblitz-130XE runs perfectly! 
    • SDX=disabled, BASIC=ENABLED per OEM OS behavior. I/O sound synthesis is set to SIO & ATR.
    • GOS rom IS flashed and available!
    • Ideally suited (and configured) for use with SIDE-LOADER, and booting from SIDE-attached or SIO-attached .ATRs.
    • Supports PBI HSIO on D1 / D4, for full acceleration of all your SIO access.
    • Boots directly from D1: or Default-set drive ("D" command is not accesible).
  • BIOS Profile #3 (for Gaming and Demos, old and new, U.S. and Europe):
    • (Set to Color=10)
    • Profile of choice for launching about any game, demo, whether old or new.
    • Based on fully-loaded "XLXE-fp.Qmeg404" OS rom, , and partially relying on BIOS' PBI extensions.
    • Q-Meg also supports shutting of keyboard-clicks (CTRL-4) and DMA=OFF (CTRL-6).
    • High speed Floating Point package, directly from Altirra 3.17 (thus curing a long-time deficiency of QMeg-404).
    • Running on CompyShop-576K mode, to ensure compatibility with XE extended-ram access for ANTIC. Videoblitz-130XE runs perfectly! 
    • SDX=disabled, BASIC=DISABLE per QMeg-OS behavior. I/O sound synthesis is set to SIO & ATR.
    • SDX is BOOTABLE from D5, and GOS rom IS flashed and available!
    • Ideally suited (and configured) for use with SIDE-LOADER, and booting from SIDE-attached or SIO-attached .ATRs.
    • Supports Qmeg's HSIO on D1 / D2, and PBI HSIO / PC-Link on D3 / D4 (best of all worlds), for those times where booting SDX may be required.
    • Boots directly from D1: or Default-set drive ("D" command is not accesible).
  • BIOS Profile #4 (true 800 / Colleen mode):
    • (Set to Color=02, reddish, as you are no longer on XL/XE land!)
    • Profile of choice for launching all of your OS.b and legacy 400/800 titles in any RAM configuration of choice.
    • Runs in 52 Kbytes mode for largest possible linear-ram space. SDX is also supported with AXLON ram Emulation.
    • Based on Newell's "OS.N-fp.601.Z67" load, which is true (to the best of my knowledge) to Newell's OSN 6.01 load.
    • High Performance FP package from Newell (last revision and patch known)
    • Also available: "OS.b -OEM.Atari", "OS.b-fp.Newell", and "TES-fp.Aver317", all for Colleen mode.

Have fun this weekend!

;-)

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Just now, drpeter said:

Hi,

Thanks, great work and detail on these fabulous beasts!

Could you possibly post these OS roms as separate files for those not lucky enough to own an Incognito (yet)?

Yes, that's coming too, as well as a full copy of my 512K Ultimate ROM-flash (like Incognito's).

• Like 3

On 8/20/2019 at 10:53 PM, tjlazer said:

Nice. Why hasn’t anyone fixed the 130XE memory test yet? For the 130XE. Would be cool to have that working since it’s broken.

hot off the press by @1050 : :)

The post also has a great walkthrough of the exact process taken. I haven't tried the version in latest post yet, but looking forward to trying it, as the previous version in that thread has become my regular XL/XE OS.

4 hours ago, drpeter said:

On tenterhooks!

As previously promised, here's the summary and complete, high-performance OS collection.

It is intended to be the most powerful, feature-rich collection available today, with the idea of preserving true XL/XE/XEGS OS-core functionality and compatibility, while maximizing performance in some key areas to levels never seen before... but always attainable, nonetheless.

The following is a list of specific features and enhancements supported by BOTH Ultimate and Incognito variants, except only when noted otherwise. The idea is to have a complete, portable functional set that will provide the same experience whether you ride true 800 platform, or XL/XE series.

Main features summary (download links at the end, so you can understand what each file means):

1. OS file-name NAMING convention:
    • {OS code base}{Version}-{Floating Point Package option}-{feature set 1}-{feature extensions if any}
    • Examples:
      • XE04-fp.f14H.LR:
        • XE04: code based originating directly from XE/XEGS v4
        • fp: High Performance Floating Point Package present.
        • f14: 1200XL CTRL+{F1...F4} keys and corresponding functions enabled, at OS level (existing code)
        • H: support of (remapped) HELP key (this would apply on Incognito loads & file-names, only)
        • LR: LEFT and RIGHT cartridge extensions present (OS-level boot manager). "L" alone means LEFT-cart only, where noted.
  2. Except where noted on XE03 loads, all these OS come fully equipped, with no original Atari/OEM functionality removed, and ALL are PBI-compliant, which makes them the ideal versions to run on Ultimate/Incognito-powered BIOS + PBI extensions (authored by Jon / FJC)
  3. All OS are correctly signed with valid checksum, thus passing OS stage-2 memory tests.
  4. All OS loads (XE03 or XE04) correctly tests XE extended memory banks, 
  5. High-performance Floating Point packages, these come in two versions:
    • XE03 loads (with "fp" feature) include ROM-extended FP package for HIGHEST speed, taking up to 4 KBytes. NO int'l char. set. 
    • XE04 loads (with "fp" feature) include Altirra's 3.17 FP package (best overall balance in existence between speed and accuracy). 
    • ALL the above passing AcidOS FP tests published by Avery L. (MANDATORY to see what your FP package is "made of");-)
    • COLLEEN loads (OS.b-fp.. and OS.N-fp..) come with latest and most updated Newell FP routines found available publicly. 
    • NOTE: XLXE-fp.Qmeg404 special load comes with XE04 package.
  6. Support of 1200 XL CTRL+Function 1...4 keys, per following remapping (valid for both Incognito and Ultimate variants, except "TEST" loads):
    • Key Click (audio-feedback) ON or OFF : (toggle) SHIFT+Atari/Inverse keys. BUFFERED by the OS (this is very important and useful)
    • ANTIC (DMA-operation) ON: CTRL+Atari/Inverse keys. Instant boost of CPU (6502) speed of up to 40% (!). SCREEN OFF.
    • ANTIC (DMA-operation) ON: simply press ANY key on the keyboard to restart DMA. SCREEN ON.
    • Keyboard-Lock ON or OFF: (toggle) press CTRL+SHIFT+Delete/Backspace. Press it again to unlock. Ideal for demos, cleaning, etc.
    • International Character Set (ON or OFF): press CTRL+SHIFT+Caps Lower. On-the-fly, OS-driven shift of Character Sets.
    • HELP key (for 800 / INCOGNITO, only): press CTRL+SHIFT+Atari Sign (you can see the effect when entering OS Self-Test, and exit tests with it).
  7. All remapped keys above are supported with enabling 6502 opcodes that run cycle-exact with respect to the OEM original codes, which means they do not alter the execution timeline of the OS-key handler in any form or shape, thus being transparent to it.
  8. Without further ado, here's the full set of files:

With the above OS package there would be hardly any task that cannot be accomplished, nor any benchmark that you can't blow out of the window (!) 

Have fun!

Edited by Faicuai
Extra detail, clarity and precision.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, drpeter said:

Wow, thanks for this!

Given them a good workout, and let me know how it goes. I know they are in good hands, now... ;-)

An here goes a tip you may actually like:

1. Right after starting a CPU-intensive task, and right before turning-off ANTIC/DMA for a 30%-40% in throughput, you can (right before doing it), press {SHIFT+Atari/Inverse} key (keyclick-silence toggle). This input will be BUFFERED by OS and NOT immediately processed.
  2. Proceed, then, by turning off DMA with {CTRL+Atari/Inverse} key. This will NOT be buffered but, instead, dispatched immediately by OS. You can peek any time by pressing any key, and return again to full speed with same keystroke.
  3. Upon completion of your task, control will be returned to OS, and at that precise point, buffered key on #1 will be processed (still with DMA=off) and a keyboard-chime will be heard. It is at this point that you will know your task is completed, and you can now turn ON DMA / ANTIC, by pressing any key, or simply {SHIFT+Atari/Inverse}, to silence back the keyboard.. ;-)

Chime in if you have any doubt or find any issues... 

Have fun!

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 2