IGNORED

Atari Jaguar

MrBeefy

You have to try out different emulators for each game, some ROMS work better on certain emulators and some don't even work on any of them...

Project Tempest and Virtual Jaguar are the main ones but you definely should get the T2K emulator for Tempest 2000.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/23/2019 at 6:53 AM, mr_me said:

This guy says it's the Phoenix emulation project.  Hopefully it's still being worked on.

https://www.levelsmack.com/best-atari-jaguar-emulator/

Compatibility list

http://www.arts-union.ru/node/66

On 8/23/2019 at 3:05 PM, MrMaddog said:

You have to try out different emulators for each game, some ROMS work better on certain emulators and some don't even work on any of them...

Project Tempest and Virtual Jaguar are the main ones but you definely should get the T2K emulator for Tempest 2000.

Man multiple emulators. Ug. I would get that for the cartridge vs CD games.

Tempest is one of the games I want to play.

I have gotten Tempest to play with the Virtual Jaguar core in RetroArch, but not well.  If I remember correctly, the game played okay, but the sound was glitchy.  There's a fast mode or something that you can use in the emulator, that fixes the sound, but I think it also very slightly speeds up the game.  Either way, it was off from original hardware/software, but playable I think.

Other than Tempest, I've gotten a few other games to work on it, but haven't messed with it too much.  Games I've gotten to work are Cannon Fodder, Checkered Flag, AvP, and Atari Karts. 

On 8/25/2019 at 9:15 AM, MrBeefy said:

Man multiple emulators. Ug. I would get that for the cartridge vs CD games.

Tempest is one of the games I want to play.

You've waited this long, why start now? Tempest 2000 is nice on the Jaguar, but the PC and Saturn ports are very similar. You might as well just play Tempest 4000 on PC/PS4/Xbone. It's sharper, faster, and smoother, and it won't be a hassle to get running. 

Much of the Jag library is on PC or SNES/Genesis anyway, and unique things like Iron Soldier don't work well in emulation and are probably OK to watch in YouTube. 

Personal fave: I like Defender 2000 a lot, but not well enough to futz with emulation to play it. 

35 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

You've waited this long, why start now? Tempest 2000 is nice on the Jaguar, but the PC and Saturn ports are very similar. You might as well just play Tempest 4000 on PC/PS4/Xbone. It's sharper, faster, and smoother, and it won't be a hassle to get running. 

Much of the Jag library is on PC or SNES/Genesis anyway, and unique things like Iron Soldier don't work well in emulation and are probably OK to watch in YouTube. 

Personal fave: I like Defender 2000 a lot, but not well enough to futz with emulation to play it. 

I guess that is a good point. I might get T4k if it goes on sale.

• 1 month later...

Jag owner here.  Just a handful of suggestions:

• Definitely try everything you can in emulation before deciding if you want to purchase.  A lot of the Jaguar's library is...  Crap.  There are good games for it, but it's definitely slanted towards the mediocre end of things on average.
  • Get your hands on one if at all possible and try it before committing to a purchase.  See if you like the feel of it in the flesh.
  • I wouldn't recommend jumping straight to the Jag CD unless something on that end of things is your killer app for the platform.  It can always be added on later, and given the cost of anything Jag-related, that might not be a bad idea.

I truly don't believe that the Jaguar is a bad system; it isn't.  But it is one that's definitely a footnote system - interesting for what it is and what it represents, but without a software library that makes it compelling.  If it had a stronger homebrew scene (more native games, fewer ST ports) I might feel differently, but I'm mainly keeping mine because of its place in Atari history.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 1