IGNORED

**SOLD** doubledown ColecoVision controllers / Buck Rogers - Carnival - Donkey Kong (R.S.) - Gorf - Pac-Man Plus - Popeye

doubledown

**Offers accepted until Thursday, August 29, 2019 @ 10:05 PM Eastern Time**

So I've got one (1) each of my newest design, custom ColecoVision standard hand controllers and Spectravideo SV-103 controllers for which I'm accepting offers.  If you are interested in any, please post a reply in this thread regarding which controller(s) you are interested in, along with your offer.  A "starting offer" highlighted in yellow is where I'll start accepting offers, and a controller with a "current offer" highlighted in green would need to have an increase in offer of at least $5.  Shipping will be an additional $10 (per controller) within the USA and about $17 to Canada, combined shipping is offered and would be calculated after the offer period is over.  

With all that out of the way, a bit of information regarding the possibility of more of each of these controllers being made/offered in the future.  As these are all "new" designs I would of course be happy to make more of these if they were requested, probably with a pre-order scenario as I've done before.  Unfortunately the availability of the dye I use is becoming more and more of a pain in the butt.  The light blue and orange used here in Donkey Kong (RS), Gorf, and Popeye were from way back in 2009 when I made the original Donkey Kong / Donkey Kong Junior controllers.  I dyed a few extra housing/buttons back then (to use the remaining dye), and I was able to decant the light blue and spray new, the Gorf controller last week from the 1 partial can I had left.  But that is all for these two colors without a new custom (expensive) order.  Additionally the yellow dye used here in Pac-Man Plus, which use to be a stock color, is no longer available, without a new custom (expensive) order.  So of these 6 new designs only Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom and Carnival can be easily reproduced.  The other 4 may only ever see these 1 off customs get made, with no more produced.  There would need to be a large demand/pre-order quantity to justify the cost of the custom dye with their new color match fee.  

Current offer

Standard ColecoVision hand controllers:

Carnival - $115.00 - CanadianTenor

bczPnb.jpg

Donkey Kong (Radar Scope Conversion) - $200.00 - CanadianTenor

do7itY.jpg

Pac-Man Plus - $135.00 - CanadianTenor

jeGlEf.jpg

Popeye - $185.00 - CanadianTenor

OxhJwk.jpg

Spectravideo SV-103:

Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom - $55.00 - Loafer

** There is a small chip out of the upper half housing at the front corner near the base buttons which is the reason for the lower starting offer.  I'll post a pic later tonight detailing this.  If no one is interested because of this defect, I understand and I will hold onto it until I can get a hold of another donor controller to replace this piece. ** 

TZP869.jpg

Here's the chip I was referring to:

AQfyex.jpg

Gorf - $160.00 - CanadianTenor

qKMQVO.jpg

Edited by doubledown

1 hour ago, sixersfan105 said:

Cool! Tell me more about the "radar scope conversion" aspect of the Donkey Kong controller. Thanks.

"Following multiple failed American releases of Nintendo's Japanese-developed games, the three year old subsidiary Nintendo of America desperately needed a hit game. The parent Nintendo's Radar Scope was very popular for a short period in Japan, so president Minoru Arakawa boldly spent the subsidiary's entire budget on 3,000 Radar Scope arcade cabinets. After almost four months of shipping by boat to the target market of New York City, the buzz surrounding the game had dissipated. The game's high pitched chirp sounds annoyed some gamers. The American arcade operator market was unimpressed with the particularly expensive and lackluster Space Invaders clone. With only 1,000 cabinets sold, Nintendo of America had 2,000 unsold units sitting in the warehouse. Facing financial disaster, Arakawa pleaded with his father-in-law and Nintendo CEO in Japan, Hiroshi Yamauchi, to provide him with a new game to convert the useless Radar Scope arcade machines.  Yamauchi asked all Nintendo employees to present original ideas for a new game that could be designed to reuse Radar Scope's hardware. He chose Gunpei Yokoi and his apprentice graphic artist Shigeru Miyamoto. Miyamoto based his debut original game on Popeye but the character's license was suddenly canceled, so he continued developing it within Radar Scope's hardware profile to become Donkey Kong. The project's total development cost was US$100,000. In 1981, conversion kits for the new game were then created, shipped to America, and installed on 2,000 Radar Scope units by a small team including Arakawa and his wife. The converted units can be identified by their red cabinets. Donkey Kong went on to become a huge success."

45FUaZ.jpg

Lesser know tid-bit of Donkey Kong history, so I figured I'd make a controller themed in it's honor!

Edited by doubledown

Ah, got it. So the fact that it's red makes it Radar Scope-inspired. Cool. I had read that wikipedia entry while trying to figure out the answer myself but glossed over the color element. Good stuff.

You know what, I'll throw my hat in the ring on DK (RS). Put me down for $85.

Edited by sixersfan105

36 minutes ago, wongojack said:

I don't really "speak" Spectravideo.  Translate for me, are controllers compatible with Coleco?

Bill's right.  Made by SpectraVideo, manufacturers of a series of computers in the 80s who also made a ColecoVision expansion module (like the VCS expansion module made by Coleco) for use with their computers, so they made a controller that was compatible (also works on ColecoVision).  They were my go to controllers until I started making/modding other controllers, especially when compared to the short shaft, disc top, side button Coleco hand controllers.  Try playing Gyruss for more than about 2 minutes with a Coleco hand controller, then tell me you don't want something different.  ?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, crazykong said:

Just checking in on the current prices.  Popeye was my favorite controller if I had to pick one to push my bid on.  At 150.00 though I have some serious thinking to do.

Well think fast... less than 6 hours left. 

Last bump, final offers accepted tonight before 10:05 PM eastern time tonight.  Thanks for looking.  Keep in mind most of these are 1 offs, and probably won't be made again due to dye color availability.