Jump to content
Trellot

Anyone having trouble placing orders with Best Electronics?

Recommended Posts

I'm having a devlish time getting a response from BE!  I've sent like 7-8 emails from 4 different accounts over the course of several weeks; no response.  His site talks about a SPAM filter, so I changed my titles on the emails and on and on.  Then I called it in and left a message and return number...nothing lol!  His hours are like a few hours in the afternoon, so I'll probably have to call in although i'm so busy during that time ugg lol! :)  Anyone else having similar issues?  Note: I've used all these email accounts in previous purchases with Best, so I don't get what's going on...  I know this isn't necessarily 8-bit related, although the parts are all for an Atari 400 repair so figured why not here lol!

 

~ Trellot

Edited by Trellot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Trellot said:

I'm having a devlish time getting a response from BE!  I've sent like 7-8 emails from 4 different accounts over the course of several weeks; no response.  His site talks about a SPAM filter, so I changed my titles on the emails and on and on.  Then I called it in and left a message and return number...nothing lol!  His hours are like a few hours in the afternoon, so I'll probably have to call in although i'm so busy during that time ugg lol! :)  Anyone else having similar issues?  Note: I've used all these email accounts in previous purchases with Best, so I don't get what's going on...  I know this isn't necessarily 8-bit related, although the parts are all for an Atari 400 repair so figured why not here lol!

 

~ Trellot

As a guess I would say he does not want to have contact with you and somehow knows that all those emails are you. 😄

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might reference a recent thread here called 'Worst Electronics'.

Don't order from him. It's just not worth the hassle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered 3 week ago or so (I needed a keyboard connector and a Pokey chip), just after reading the Worst electronics thread... I have to say he answered next day, with a total $ including shipping. So I paid thru Paypal. The order was shipped after few days (2, 3, or 4 I don't remember). Pretty smooth transaction...  I guess I just followed the rules (as Jerry Seinfeld did).

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I called him week before last and had the keyboard and new mylar in 3 days.  I've never tried e-mailing him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Trellot said:

I'm having a devlish time getting a response from BE!  I've sent like 7-8 emails from 4 different accounts over the course of several weeks; no response.  His site talks about a SPAM filter, so I changed my titles on the emails and on and on.  Then I called it in and left a message and return number...nothing lol!  His hours are like a few hours in the afternoon, so I'll probably have to call in although i'm so busy during that time ugg lol! :)  Anyone else having similar issues?  Note: I've used all these email accounts in previous purchases with Best, so I don't get what's going on...  I know this isn't necessarily 8-bit related, although the parts are all for an Atari 400 repair so figured why not here lol!

 

~ Trellot

Emails are 'iffy'.  I always call him.  I related one problem some time back about big orders, and the only problem I've had since then was a package

he sent that had so much tape on it, I thought I was going to have to rent a jack hammer to get it open.  That old Atari tape he uses has changed to

shoe leather!

 

David

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DavidMil said:

Emails are 'iffy'.  I always call him.  I related one problem some time back about big orders, and the only problem I've had since then was a package

he sent that had so much tape on it, I thought I was going to have to rent a jack hammer to get it open.  That old Atari tape he uses has changed to

shoe leather!

 

David

I've ordered via email a majority of the time, one phone call only.  Never experienced a complete Black Out like this though.  I can't believe that ALL of my emails have become subject to his SPAM Filtration System however!  I did read through the Worst Electronics thread posted here with much mirth and hilarity! 😂 Perhaps knowing now that Brad is every bit the curmudgeon...something that, as I look back on some of our email exchanges from the past, explains a few things...I wonder if he hasn't Blacklisted me due to having more than 4 items on list for purchase? Ha!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UPDATE:

Just called in and spoke to Brad and only ordered 2 of the most necessary items on my list of 9...I resisted adding more! hahaha! That will be for another call.  Ah well...If it's small orders he wants I suppose I can comply. :)  The call went like this, "Hi, Brad got a couple items for order" ... "Hold-on..." then much rummaging and backround noise, sound of boxes dropping, then the sound of a television, finally back to phone "Ok, got a pad and pin shoot".  Hehehe

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Trellot
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's sometimes hard to hit the minimum $50 needed for a PayPal order (my preferred payment method).  I had to suck up a couple dollar penalty on my last order because I didn't hit the $50.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've ordered from him a few times over the phone and I've even done troubleshooting with them over the phone.  They are super helpful and stuff I've ordered from them is shipped quickly.  I've got nothing but positive things to say about them.  Not sure why you had trouble, but I'm glad to hear it worked out in the end.  :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered a XDM121 a few weeks ago and it arrived in days, just like all of my previous orders. And he’s responded to all of my emails, so I can’t imagine what the trouble might be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't it that you have to put just "Atari" in the subject line or its spam filtered?

 

He's a cranky sod for sure but if people are still getting parts then I guess it works for some....Strange working process though.....Customer unfriendly mostly unless you play his game..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, not my experience...Brad has always been very professional in my dealings with him.

 

And I’ve never had to put “Atari” in the subject line. He did say that he was very busy placing orders a week ago; perhaps that’s an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Again, not my experience...Brad has always been very professional in my dealings with him.

 

And I’ve never had to put “Atari” in the subject line. He did say that he was very busy placing orders a week ago; perhaps that’s an issue.

From the Best Site 1 min ago..

Quote

 

E-Mail

Because of the big volume of Spam E-Mails we receive everyday, we had to install E-Mail Spam filters on our server.  When sending an E-Mail to Best, Please put the word "Atari", Atari item or Atari part number, 

 

It seems some people do get an ok experience but Bradley is well known for being a grump with orders, it does happen David, some people just seem to get lucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure, not discounting anyone’s experiences. I just really haven’t had a bad experience with ANYONE here and it’s always a little surprising to me to hear of such stories.

 

Or maybe it’s just that I’m such a cranky sod myself that everyone else seems nice in comparison. :)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only ordered from BE a few times over the past 20 years. Each time I've ordered, it has gone smooth without issues. As an example of this, I sent an email a week ago to BE asking about the availability of some parts I was interested in and asked about stock on a few things I couldn't find a PN for on his website.

 

His answer was... terse but he did reply back to me later that same evening. Basically he just stated that if it is listed on the website, he has it in stock. And that because of the large volume of parts they have, they can't have everything listed on the website so he just wanted to know what I was interested in. I replied back thanking him for his reply and listed quantity and part descriptions of what I was specifically needing. He replied back within an hour stating he had everything I needed, and even suggested some other stuff based on what I was ordering. (I'm sure he was just upselling...but I'm okay if the items are relevant and I can use them). So I replied back with my confirmation of the order along with my name and address information. The next morning he had a final tally ready to go and since my order was nearly $100, he provided the paypal information as well. I paid via paypal late last Friday evening. He replied back about 11:30pm last Friday my time stating my order was boxed up and 'shipping'. 

 

Imagine my shock when the following Monday afternoon, I receive my order from BE.

 

So I apologize for the length of this, but I wanted to illustrate my experience on my last order with BE. Because, this is how all my orders over the years have pretty much been. I've not had any issues and I think that as long as you put 'Atari' in that subject line and keep your email to the point, you will get a much better response and experience with BE.

 

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe depending on time of day or the day itself he likes phone calls and email is in the not so much category.... Plenty of folks are like that.

 

perhaps give him time to wake up and then get the order in before the day wears on and the aggravation or sunsetting for the day starts...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

   All this got me to thinking,  I've been buying from Brad for so long that he has my credit card on file, I call him and

tell him what I want, he ships the order and I find out what it cost in a couple of days when the parts arrive.  When

you call, take a second and ask him how his day is going.

   Also I'd like to know what is the lowest Customer Order Number out there.   Mine starts with BT06...  Anyone got

a lower number? 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

9 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Isn't it that you have to put just "Atari" in the subject line or its spam filtered?

 

He's a cranky sod for sure but if people are still getting parts then I guess it works for some....Strange working process though.....Customer unfriendly mostly unless you play his game..

 

For sure I had "Atari" in the title for all of my email inquiries, however there was one that I had FWD in it since I forwarded the initial email to my work and resent from there ... that's when I started looking on his site and found the Atari requirement in the title and the SPAM Filtration System he has enabled and all the different ways to end up dead in the SPAM pot.  However, to my mind, there's no way all 4 of my email addresses ended up as SPAM.  I had 9 items on my list with a request of x1 of each, perhaps that was more of the reason + a particularly bad couple of weeks on his end?  IDK. :)  I've got two things coming, yay!  I'll let him cool down now and order the rest in small fits, and starts and half-breaths, ha! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DavidMil said:

Also I'd like to know what is the lowest Customer Order Number out there.   Mine starts with BT06...  Anyone got

a lower number? 

 

Mine is BT14 from just the last couple of years.  But his site says you can use this number if you ordered in the last year or so -> 

  • Best Customer number (if you are placed a Best order within a year and have not moved)

Does this mean you lose the number otherwise?  Have you ordered something every year from the first order you placed?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best Electronics' eCommerce solutions are as retro as the merchandise he's selling.

 

What's a fax machine? 

 

Call the main switchboard!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, S1500 said:

Best Electronics' eCommerce solutions are as retro as the merchandise he's selling.

 

What's a fax machine? 

 

Call the main switchboard!

Lol!  I thought about trying the FAX route too, but he's using E-fax so it would just be another email in PDF or TIFF format wouldn't it'?  Bam, straight to SPAM again lol :)   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Trellot said:

Mine is BT14 from just the last couple of years.  But his site says you can use this number if you ordered in the last year or so -> 

  • Best Customer number (if you are placed a Best order within a year and have not moved)

Does this mean you lose the number otherwise?  Have you ordered something every year from the first order you placed?

 

I don't think you loose it.  It may get removed from his computers though.  I've had this number for so long, I can't tell

you when I got it.  At least 30 years ago.

 

David

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, S1500 said:

Best Electronics' eCommerce solutions are as retro as the merchandise he's selling.

 

What's a fax machine? 

 

Call the main switchboard!

He told me last year that he shut the fax off because no body was using it anymore.  But fax is alive and well

 (if you've ever had to deal with mortgage or insurance companies you'd know what I mean)!

 

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DavidMil said:

I don't think you loose it.  It may get removed from his computers though.  I've had this number for so long, I can't tell

you when I got it.  At least 30 years ago.

 

David

 

Yeah figured as much, very cool.  I've had my credit card on file with him as well, on my number, and it's worked well in the past until recently.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...