IGNORED

Stadia pre-order is live

cimerians

On 12/4/2019 at 12:27 PM, Flojomojo said:

Netflix for games, but more expensive, with an uncertain future. If you have to ask, you probably don't need it. 

You have to buy every game individually so it's not even that.  Project xCloud is more like Netflix for games since it will include the Xbox Game Pass.

• Like 3

On 12/5/2019 at 3:07 PM, HammR25 said:

Project xCloud is more like Netflix for games since it will include the Xbox Game Pass.

I *want* to say it will also utilize your existing downloadable game library, too. It definitely seems like a more appealing option than Stadia. I'll never be down with a 100% streaming future, but I can see myself dabbling with this for convenience purposes in specific situations.

Digital Foundry did a decent video about testing Project xCloud for anyone curious. The results seem decent so far:

Edited by Austin

So my buddy gave me a buddy pass and I tried it out, I don't have a stadia controller so I just used my keyboard and mouse on my PC. All I could say is is that it's pretty remarkable I had no lag or any issues whatsoever then again I was playing Tomb Raider which does not have any sort of multiplayer (which I prefer anyway). Basically you fire up a browser like Chrome (I have a Gmail account so it automatically logs me in) go to the Stadia site and all my games are there I just hit play like a YouTube video and I start playing, there's no hardware at all, it could care less what my specs of my PC are. No downloads, no nothing. It's just really weird. 

This thing is by no means a standard way to play games imo especially in this country with the way Internet providers are and with all the limits. I CAN say without a doubt I'm fascinated by how they're doing this. I wont be staying on, right now I'll never subscribe to this as it is right now there's no games and it's not really stable even though I had no issues. (Graphics are pretty amazing, they probably MAX everything)

Also if you subscribe (my buddy pass expires in 3 months) it seems you can buy stuff and I guess ‘own it’ like Steam….or claim stuff and play it without really owning it as long as your subscribing. At least that's what it looks like to me when I picked Tomb Raider it had a price and also a ‘claim for free’ option. Still have a feeling if you don't subscribe you're going to be limited, like no 4K etc.

Anyway just thought I'd post this here….still really have concerns about this….I can see down the road them limiting people even more if you don't subscribe. I’m not talking about just Google but anyone who's interested in doing this like Microsoft 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Personally I think it might be dying but they just don't want to admit it. I have no idea, I completely forgot about it cause I'm busy playing PC games as usual off Steam, GOG etc. Doing searches reveal nothing except for the Google Stadia subreddit which is mostly filled with Google diehards who are actually complaining:

• Thanks 1

I think they are of trying to replicate what Microsoft did with their first venture into the console market, and they're kind of achieving that goal: they are having the same success as the first Xbox...

... in Japan.

Some interesting threads have appearead in the Stadia Reddit over the last 24 hours, the first one being the most interesting (and some would say delusional):

- Stadia Community Culture. A Refresher and looking Going Forward: A Realist approach for us Founders.

- Latest release of Unity has official support for Stadia

- This Week on Stadia: Free games coming to Stadia Pro this February

They have 50K members on that Reddit, but I still wonder when/if we will see "sales figures" (number of subscribers after 6 months?) for the system. At this rate it won't even appear on the "Platform totals" list from VGChartz.

I don't understand how a company like Google hasn't realized about all this. Their "hey! we can make a console that works like this, so let's do it!" approach is destined to fail. They should have offered exclusive games, a unique controller... and then, think about cloud vs. physical systems. It doesn't seem like Stadia's failure will have any impact on Google, though.

Edited by IntelliMission

The media is picking up on all the complaints, too. 40 days without a new game or announcement is a very long time for the audience they're trying to attract. 

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/357269/Stadia_owners_on_Reddit_are_blasting_Google_over_radio_silence_and_lack_of_support.php

It's really hard to start up a new platform, which is why I'm super skeptical of the bit players who talk a big game but haven't shown any ability to sustain something besides hype after launch. Google is lagging behind where OnLive was like 10 years ago in terms of features and titles. It's not as if they're running their own studio and creating content, either. 

I have too much to play as it is, but I'd be willing to play a free trial if they rolled it out in a bigger way. 

Only problem with the upcoming "free" part of Stadia is that you still need to buy the games...which aren't actual PC games that you can play Stadia is mothballed.

If Stadia was a way to stream PC games you already own, plus maybe just another store front where you can get games, it'd be huge. But Google got greedy.  

I'd consider subscribing to it if they could stream online-only games that need to be patched all the time, such as MMOs. Or super-high-end stuff that couldn't run on any hardware I could afford. But game PCs (including laptops!) are cheaper than ever, most games run fine on an i5 with a 1050ti, and there's no shortage of content on Steam/GOG/Epic/etc. 

If only I cared about Destiny 2, their giveaway game. But if I did, I'd probably already be playing Destiny 2 on something else. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

I'd consider subscribing to it if they could stream online-only games that need to be patched all the time, such as MMOs. Or super-high-end stuff that couldn't run on any hardware I could afford. But game PCs (including laptops!) are cheaper than ever, most games run fine on an i5 with a 1050ti, and there's no shortage of content on Steam/GOG/Epic/etc. 

If only I cared about Destiny 2, their giveaway game. But if I did, I'd probably already be playing Destiny 2 on something else. 

Right, for MMO's and hardware heavy games its pretty amazing, Stadia is…dare I say it… it's almost like plugging in a cartridge. I mean there's practically zero wait times.

I close out Tomb Raider fire up another game instantly in another tab in my browser (As fast as opening a new tab in your browser)

It's cool in theory but there's no games at all to play, btw I just logged into my account and it still looks like their modeling after Xbox Live where you subscribe and you get some free games every month (keep them as long as you subscribe) and of course you get discounts if you buy them.

There's only a handful of games though and it's been out for awhile it's almost as if the launch date was a beta test and they are is still beta, 'cause I'm really not seeing anything new at all on the storefront.

The big circle in the middle is the Play button like Youtube.

image.thumb.png.7294ffd45c4d3af275c97615c2f7fa46.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laner said:

Whew... got some true believers in /r/stadia trying hard to convince themselves they made a good purchasing decision.

Every platform seems to have the wish-hards, and people who will go to the mat to defend them for some reason. Stadia seems like it has nowhere to go but up, so long as it gets some more content. So far it's the same stuff that OnLive had, which is the same stuff that gets given away by Humble Bundle, PlayStation Plus and GamePass.

I wonder what's holding back big publishers like EA and Blizzard? Are they asking too much, or holding out until they have their own streaming service, until we have a fragmented mess like streaming video is right now? Until the inevitable consolidation into a winner-take-all fat bundle?

I'm honestly surprised that this has thousands of loyal fans already. In addition to the incredible active Reddit community, several Stadia-themed podcasts have appeared in the last months: Sounds Of Stadia and Stadia Talk. After listening to a small portion of the last Stadia Talk episode, I confirm that these guys (Twitter accounts: @PhantomUFCfan, @StadiaPlayer1 and @SoundsOfStadia) are pretty optimistic with the system:

- With the decline of physical games, they see Stadia as "the future".

- They also believe that there is an emerging trend among customers to buy "smaller boxes" such as Chromecast instead of things like the Xbox Series X.

- They say that it's OK if Google releases the rest of the games "in 6 months" because if they released them now there could be too many bugs.

Edited by IntelliMission
  • Haha 1

More interesting topics from their Reddit:

- Founder Edition has been a great value so far

- Stadia and cloud gaming will always get hated by the media but won't stop it being the future.

- I always enjoy reading people's positive experiences with Stadia, so I thought I'd share mine

- I wish to see more features before the free 3 months pro ends.

There's also a story about a sick child who was able to play Destiny in an hospital thanks to Stadia.

It looks like the people who have it are happy... the problem for Google is that there probably aren't enough of them.

Edited by IntelliMission

On 2/2/2020 at 9:59 AM, IntelliMission said:

I'm honestly surprised that this has thousands of loyal fans already. In addition to the incredible active Reddit community, several Stadia-themed podcasts have appeared in the last months: Sounds Of Stadia and Stadia Talk. After listening to a small portion of the last Stadia Talk episode, I confirm that these guys (Twitter accounts: @PhantomUFCfan, @StadiaPlayer1 and @SoundsOfStadia) are pretty optimistic with the system:

- With the decline of physical games, they see Stadia as "the future".

- They also believe that there is an emerging trend among customers to buy "smaller boxes" such as Chromecast instead of things like the Xbox Series X.

- They say that it's OK if Google releases the rest of the games "in 6 months" because if they released them now there could be too many bugs.

The subscriber count of the stadia sub isn't so impressive when you compare it to subs dedicated to hardware gaming platforms though

/r/stadia  :              57,300  subscribers

/r/ps4 :               2,900,000  subscribers

/r/xboxone:          1,800,000

/r/pcgaming:         1,700,000

/r/NintendoSwith   1,600,000

25 minutes ago, zzip said:

The subscriber count of the stadia sub isn't so impressive when you compare it to subs dedicated to hardware gaming platforms though

/r/stadia  :              57,300  subscribers

/r/ps4 :               2,900,000  subscribers

/r/xboxone:          1,800,000

/r/pcgaming:         1,700,000

/r/NintendoSwith   1,600,000

Yeah. Is there a future in streaming? Sure, it will definitely be a way to play games on the go.  Is the The Future? Who knows? And that has nothing to do with now, where the PS5 is one of the highest selling consoles of all time, and the Switch is poised to eclipse it.

And saying Stadia is The Future rings as hollow as people buying their Dreamcasts when they came out claiming Sega is going to be the worlds biggest console company ever....

"Streaming is the future"

Why?  Because google said so?  Because movies went In that direction, so everything else must too? 

One thing that never ceases to amaze me is that people don't challenge proclamations like that.  Nothing is "the future" until it's the present.

• Like 3

Google has a history of dropping stuff that isn't an immediate success. I've seen basically zero marketing for Stadia since a little bit after launch - Reddit threads don't count. This isn't 1981; it takes more than an online user group to promote a major game system these days. Google is not throwing a lot of money at this.

Ars Technica just looked at Thumper, which is a popular game just released for free on Stadia Pro (and it's not like there's a lot of competition there), and it has only about 8,000 players: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/01/google-stadias-latest-free-game-only-has-a-few-thousand-total-players/

I think it's only a matter of time before Google pulls the plug. They'll probably string it out for a while so they don't need to be seen running away with their tail between their legs, but I see something like a Google Plus type thing here. A couple years of token support that's just enough to keep the true believers and the media from totally turning on them, and then once the rest of the world has totally forgotten Stadia even exists, boom.

• Like 1

I have a feeling you're probably right.  Unless I see someone bring it up, it might as well be dead.  Google dominates all sorts of stuff now, yet you don't see like eye games or hear some ear candy thrown into some subversive searches or suggestions on services they own as it's like it doesn't exist.  Maybe they caught a ton of flack outside the suck up losers of the fake gaming media to the point they realize most people won't bite in the numbers needed to make a change away from ownership to netflix for gaming.