IGNORED

Opinions on the Lynx II D-Pad?

bobmoo79

I only recently acquired my Lynx II and have spent some time with it now (not as much as I'd like) and I'm starting to dislike the Dpad, which is a shame as that's the main interface!

It's quite noisy when in use and it doesn't feel very refined  - I don't think it's as nice as those on my other handhelds (Gamegear, various gameboys).

Does anybody know of any tips to improve it? It's already been cleaned thoroughly with alcohol and it seems responsive enough, it's just doesn't feel great. A bit clunky. Not an easy thing to describe!

Any thoughts?

There's certainly room for improvement, but it's not as if it's worse than any of the other options that were available in 1991. Perhaps a unit could be modded to add a smaller control device to the stop of the unit to assist with games that have a vertical orientation, but I don't play Klax, Raiden, and Lexis enough to want to make that type of radical mod. I've had brief thoughts about attempting to replace the joypad with a thumbstick (as on the Vita), but haven't had any time to tinker. Diagonal directional movements do take some experimentation, but there just aren't enough games in the library that require this type of precision movement to make it really worthwhile.

• Like 1

I have been using Logitech F310 PC. It appears to have 4 microswitches. The entire structure tilts diagonally so that your thumb can clearly register when both microswitches make contact. The Lynx has no microswitches just some rubber mat. The feeling is softer and I cannot feel the click in the same way as on the Logitech pad.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 1:34 PM, davidcalgary29 said:

There's certainly room for improvement, but it's not as if it's worse than any of the other options that were available in 1991. 

That's how I feel about it. With the 1991 LCD screen staring me in the face, the control pad seems like the least of this thing's flaws. ?

• Haha 1

On 8/23/2019 at 4:49 PM, bobmoo79 said:

It's quite noisy when in use and it doesn't feel very refined  - I don't think it's as nice as those on my other handhelds (Gamegear, various gameboys).

? I've owned a few GG's through the years and thought the Gamegear D-pad was perhaps one of the worst of any d-pads on any systems I've played on? It feels mega-cheap, it's completely loose and rattles like hell. That said I think most consoles (including the GG) still have playable d-pads, even the bad ones are pretty decent. I'd guess it's more about getting used to a new (old) d-pad.

I just realised I think the Lynx I cross shaped D-pad is very similar in feel to a Playstation 1 D-pad (maybe it's the same on all playstation controllers?). For me the Lynx II D-pad was the first D-pad I used a lot, so to me PS1/Lynx1 d-pad's feel a bit too soft and "kick back" slightly too softly after being pressed (less feedback on what you're doing). I read that Nintendo invented the D-pad (for game & watch games) and in my opinion that's still the best one though.

On 8/25/2019 at 10:09 AM, arcanehacker said:

Where did you order the rubber pads from? 

So the rubber pad set is $5 from Best Electronics, but if that's all you order the postage would almost certainly kill it as an option. As I'm ordering from their anyway it's no big deal to add the set to the order.

The UK Ebay seller who's selling the Lynx II rubbers only seems to have the DPad and 'Top' A and B rubber. No mention of whether those also fit the 'bottom'. My assumption is not. I contacted him to ask but he hasn't responded yet. Those are £2.99 each.

so for a full set from ebay you're looking at  £8.97 (assuming the 'top' rubber fits the 'bottom' too)

lol yes I know that's how it works on the outside but I couldn't say for sure if the 'A and B' rubbers are interchangeable on the inside. i can't remember noticing any difference.  if they are the same then that's great.  I find it interesting the seller would specifically mention his are for the 'top'.

18 hours ago, bobmoo79 said:

So the rubber pad set is $5 from Best Electronics, but if that's all you order the postage would almost certainly kill it as an option. As I'm ordering from their anyway it's no big deal to add the set to the order.

The UK Ebay seller who's selling the Lynx II rubbers only seems to have the DPad and 'Top' A and B rubber. No mention of whether those also fit the 'bottom'. My assumption is not. I contacted him to ask but he hasn't responded yet. Those are £2.99 each.

so for a full set from ebay you're looking at  £8.97 (assuming the 'top' rubber fits the 'bottom' too)

Top doesn't fit the bottom btw.