Jump to content
bobmoo79

Opinions on the Lynx II D-Pad?

Recommended Posts

I only recently acquired my Lynx II and have spent some time with it now (not as much as I'd like) and I'm starting to dislike the Dpad, which is a shame as that's the main interface!

 

It's quite noisy when in use and it doesn't feel very refined  - I don't think it's as nice as those on my other handhelds (Gamegear, various gameboys).

 

Does anybody know of any tips to improve it? It's already been cleaned thoroughly with alcohol and it seems responsive enough, it's just doesn't feel great. A bit clunky. Not an easy thing to describe!

 

Any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's certainly room for improvement, but it's not as if it's worse than any of the other options that were available in 1991. Perhaps a unit could be modded to add a smaller control device to the stop of the unit to assist with games that have a vertical orientation, but I don't play Klax, Raiden, and Lexis enough to want to make that type of radical mod. I've had brief thoughts about attempting to replace the joypad with a thumbstick (as on the Vita), but haven't had any time to tinker. Diagonal directional movements do take some experimentation, but there just aren't enough games in the library that require this type of precision movement to make it really worthwhile.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been using Logitech F310 PC. It appears to have 4 microswitches. The entire structure tilts diagonally so that your thumb can clearly register when both microswitches make contact. The Lynx has no microswitches just some rubber mat. The feeling is softer and I cannot feel the click in the same way as on the Logitech pad.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah I think that might be part of the issue.  I just don't get that 'feel' that you get with other pads. feels kinda vague. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well im placing an order for parts soon so maybe I'll dump a set of rubber pads on the list too 😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bobmoo79 said:

well im placing an order for parts soon so maybe I'll dump a set of rubber pads on the list too 😆

Where did you order the rubber pads from? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

unless they're over priced I plan to order from Best Electronics because im placing an order with them anyway but I know you can get some on Ebay. I've no idea if those are any good though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2019 at 1:34 PM, davidcalgary29 said:

There's certainly room for improvement, but it's not as if it's worse than any of the other options that were available in 1991. 

That's how I feel about it. With the 1991 LCD screen staring me in the face, the control pad seems like the least of this thing's flaws. 🤣

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2019 at 4:49 PM, bobmoo79 said:

It's quite noisy when in use and it doesn't feel very refined  - I don't think it's as nice as those on my other handhelds (Gamegear, various gameboys).

🤔 I've owned a few GG's through the years and thought the Gamegear D-pad was perhaps one of the worst of any d-pads on any systems I've played on? It feels mega-cheap, it's completely loose and rattles like hell. That said I think most consoles (including the GG) still have playable d-pads, even the bad ones are pretty decent. I'd guess it's more about getting used to a new (old) d-pad.

 

I just realised I think the Lynx I cross shaped D-pad is very similar in feel to a Playstation 1 D-pad (maybe it's the same on all playstation controllers?). For me the Lynx II D-pad was the first D-pad I used a lot, so to me PS1/Lynx1 d-pad's feel a bit too soft and "kick back" slightly too softly after being pressed (less feedback on what you're doing). I read that Nintendo invented the D-pad (for game & watch games) and in my opinion that's still the best one though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2019 at 10:09 AM, arcanehacker said:

Where did you order the rubber pads from? 

So the rubber pad set is $5 from Best Electronics, but if that's all you order the postage would almost certainly kill it as an option. As I'm ordering from their anyway it's no big deal to add the set to the order.

 

The UK Ebay seller who's selling the Lynx II rubbers only seems to have the DPad and 'Top' A and B rubber. No mention of whether those also fit the 'bottom'. My assumption is not. I contacted him to ask but he hasn't responded yet. Those are £2.99 each.

so for a full set from ebay you're looking at  £8.97 (assuming the 'top' rubber fits the 'bottom' too)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no difference in 'top" and 'bottom' rubber. That is how flip was supposed to work. Identical gameplay for left and right handed gamers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lol yes I know that's how it works on the outside but I couldn't say for sure if the 'A and B' rubbers are interchangeable on the inside. i can't remember noticing any difference.  if they are the same then that's great.  I find it interesting the seller would specifically mention his are for the 'top'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, bobmoo79 said:

So the rubber pad set is $5 from Best Electronics, but if that's all you order the postage would almost certainly kill it as an option. As I'm ordering from their anyway it's no big deal to add the set to the order.

 

The UK Ebay seller who's selling the Lynx II rubbers only seems to have the DPad and 'Top' A and B rubber. No mention of whether those also fit the 'bottom'. My assumption is not. I contacted him to ask but he hasn't responded yet. Those are £2.99 each.

so for a full set from ebay you're looking at  £8.97 (assuming the 'top' rubber fits the 'bottom' too)

Top doesn't fit the bottom btw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, karri said:

There is no difference in 'top" and 'bottom' rubber. That is how flip was supposed to work. Identical gameplay for left and right handed gamers.

Yes there is. Its the fitting. But putting ocd aside yes it would but how do you keep them in place thats the thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is how the top and bottom would look. So you'll need find a way to use the top for the bottom (or vice versa). You can't just flip them and use. 

 

1445586086_2019-08-2817_27_10.thumb.jpg.11679eeb33c8fb3b30f394ce9edca4dd.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...