vhzc

FINAL VERSION

iran_final.bin

CURRENT VERSION

Update 2020/06/01

RELEASE CANDIDATE 1

Entering final stage of development.

I_Ran_RC1_20200601.bin

Also created some artwork and now you can support the development buying merchandising from my TeePublic store:

https://www.teepublic.com/user/vhzc

1295045395_Capturadepantalla_2020-06-02_18-39-27.png.5b978416505464c72d2b6a0033321443.png

Update 2020/05/18

NEW BETA!

More obstacles, change in some others, and a (I hope) smoother jump.

I_Ran_beta_20200518.bin

Update 2020/05/14

NEW BETA!

The game is almost complete, I have almost no more space for more sprites.

Two modes:

Normal

• Order of obstacles predetermined
  • 3 lives
  • checkpoints.
  • Score depends of the screen (i.e. screen 15 gives 15 points)

Hard

• Obstacles appear randomly
  • Only one life
  • No checkpoint
  • 10 points for each obstacle/screen.

I_Ran_beta_20200514.bin

Hi again guys.

I liked the concept of this game, but I wasn't happy with the visuals, so I rewriten it from scratch and gave it a different, more polished look.

Now the first public beta is reay, so testing and feedback will be appreciated.

I_Ran_beta_20200503.bin

I_Ran_beta_20200503.thumb.png.66f7f794af8eadd99ee943ebab7fa13e.pngunnamed7.bas_13.thumb.png.eb3da1cef54d08edf74e72a6c154f009.png

unnamed7.bas_12.thumb.png.703e18f056d737601d7d3035d4d35e8f.pngI_Ran_beta_20200503_3.thumb.png.a3698f098f160dddeb550e66cfa962a1.png

###############################################################################

[OLD VERSION]

Hi Guys, I want to share a new game I am working in.

It' s a endless runner/endurace type of game called "I RAN (so far away)"

The mechanics are pretty simple: just run and avoid different obstacles jumping or sliding.

In the same rom I also included another simple game I wrote some time ago:

DoReMi

A reaction game where you must intercept the music notes before they reach the center of the screen.

Hi again, there is a new beta.

Now the deafult mode is easier and the original mode now is the optional hard mode.

You can return to the main menu with select.

Some cosmetic changes (background color change in a kinda day/night cycle, change in the fonts adding some icons)

A couple of new obstacles.

Only tested in emulators, so if somebody can test it in actual hardware could be great

IranDoremi0.1b.bin

###################################################################

Here is the first beta. I don' t have a way to test it on actual hardware, but I have tested it Stella and Z26. Also zeropagehomebrew featured it in the show.

I am open to criticism and suggestions.

IranDoremi20190820.bin

nrunner32b.bas_2.thumb.png.760e13646a242d0e6d3294634fa72305.png

nrunner32.bas_2.thumb.png.f627b0f7b0040cb108c424d4448a31cb.png

nrunner32b.bas_3.png

Edited by vhzc
Update rom
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mallard Games said:

Game is very difficult, that or I just stink. How do you get past the big red wall with no hole, I keep dying there?

Wow, yeah. This is like, QWOP-level difficult for me. My high score is... 3. ?

I do like the wide variety of obstacles. Maybe a "beginner" game variation where they are introduced one-at-a-time, gradually ramping up in difficulty? So you could get used to handling one before having to learn the next?

Cool parallax cityscape!

10 hours ago, Mallard Games said:

Game is very difficult, that or I just stink. How do you get past the big red wall with no hole, I keep dying there?

Jump ont the trigger and the wall will open.

Edited by vhzc

We featured the Exclusive World Premiere of I RAN on yesterday's ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- I Ran (2019 WIP Exclusive World Premiere) by Vladimir Zuñiga aka John Von Neumann aka Vhzc
- Cannonhead Clash (2019 WIP Update) by bluswimmer
- Crackpots (1983 Patch Challenge) by Dan Kitchen

Archive Video of Stream:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

On 8/24/2019 at 9:09 PM, Arenafoot said:

way too hard too early in the game - for both games

Agree.  Not sure what would be the best way to adjust the difficulty, but right now it's immediately too hard.  It needs to let the player get better while increasing the challenge, but with it so hard at the start with an immediate game over, I'm not having enough fun and not having a chance to improve before it's over.  It's got a lot of great ideas and looks like it'll be a fun game.  The fun just isn't there for me yet due to difficulty.

Maybe one option could be instead of 1 hit death, give the player a health bar.  That way we get a chance to miss some obstacles and learn from mistakes before the game is over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your feedback.

I really didn' t thought it was too hard, my main betatester is my 8yo son, but I suppose he is used to my games :).

The health bar is out of question, that is simply not the game I want to make. But  I will think some other ways to lower the difficulty.

Edited by vhzc
correct a typo
  • Like 1

A Roach In Space was challenging, but it wasn't too frustrating because of lives and one foe at a time getting introduced. Even if you don't want lives, having the types of obstacles getting introduced a couple at a time would make it easier to get the hang of the game, I think. 

34 minutes ago, Karl G said:

A Roach In Space was challenging, but it wasn't too frustrating because of lives and one foe at a time getting introduced. Even if you don't want lives, having the types of obstacles getting introduced a couple at a time would make it easier to get the hang of the game, I think. 

You could start off with single obstacles instead of doubles or triples and then work your way up.  Also, you could leave the more difficult obstacles until a little later in the game, like the ones that come at you with speed such as the bullets, jumping frogs/blobs(?) and the spinning square.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wongojack said:

You should probably just use one version numbering system because I can't tell which is the latest.  Which one did you update?  

My favourite version numbering system is gamenameyyyymmdd.bin because then you not only know which one is the newest version but exactly when it was put out.

If there is more than one update in a day then a letter (a, b, c) can be added to the end of the name like gamenameyyyymmddx.bin

• Like 2

Just now, wongojack said:

You should probably just use one version numbering system because I can't tell which is the latest.  Which one did you update?  

In this particular case is not too hard to tell which is the latest (I mean, c'mon!), but you are certainly right: a consistent numbering system is clearly better. In this particular case the inconsistency was because I am programming in two different PCs in which I wrote two different scripts that compile and automatically define a version name for the file. I will standarize the script for future versions.

Thanks for your feedback!

Edited by vhzc
  • Like 1

I like it, very hard but I start giggling everytime I fail with all the surprise traps set up for the runner. :lol: I like that you have to try and learn all the different obstacle types. The parallax scrolling background looks nice! I have to say I love A Flock of Seagulls too. I added a simple version of their song "I ran" to one of my Lynx minigames.

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx

Just tried your game, I like many of the elements you put into, especially the random things coming at you!

I do have a few suggestions that I think would help me enjoy it more or on a different level:

1) The game obstacles come at you rather fast, which is ok but since the real estate is small it feels like not enough time for my mind to process the obstacle, so the game feels to me too hard unless I was a robot or have some razor reacting mind.

I would suggest trying slowing down if possible or even implementing the use of the Paddle controller where the player can control speed with the knob an jump with the button, this would however eliminate the duck and jump cancel mechanic you have but might be a fun extra mode?  I think if you added speed to mix to make up for no sliding or jump canceling maybe the dial effects jump height or distance or even the number of items to deal with like things falling on you (raindrops, random stuff falling) or something? Slower is not necessarily safer haha..

I would also suggest keeping the speed but maybe zooming out so the player has a small preview of the next item while processing the current one, that way the player may feel that it is now only skill that is killing them.

2) The game is quite precise on collision, since the game comes at you at a manic speed, perhaps making the hit boxes for items or the player smaller to allow for human error when touching items

I think you have the makings of a really interesting game, I am looking forward to seeing more of it as you develop it.

Good luck with it!

Edited by imstarryeyed

• 7 months later...

The graphics look great and I love the ‘rewind’ animation when you die!

Did you try using a sine table for the height of the jump? IMO that would make de jump animation look more realistic. The easiest way to implement this is by keeping an incrementing index into a sine delta table.

(to generate sine values: https://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/Sine-Generator-Calculator.phtml)

Edited by Dionoid

We'll be playing the Exclusive WIP Update of I Ran on tomorrow's (Sun May 3) ZeroPage Homebrew stream LIVE on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 9:59 AM, Dionoid said:

The graphics look great and I love the ‘rewind’ animation when you die!

Did you try using a sine table for the height of the jump? IMO that would make de jump animation look more realistic. The easiest way to implement this is by keeping an incrementing index into a sine delta table.

(to generate sine values: https://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/Sine-Generator-Calculator.phtml)

Nevermind... I just saw Ninjish Guy, which clearly uses a sine table or something ?

Just now, Dionoid said:

Nevermind... I just saw Ninjish Guy, which clearly uses a sine table or something ?

Ninjish guy uses (and this one will use too) a decreasing jumpcounter variable that determines the increment of the jump. So while player is going up, high and speed are inversely proportional. Falling speed is constant.