IGNORED

RetroN 3 snes sound blow out

Hiya...

I have a first generation RetroN 3 (with the infared controllers).  I like the system okay, expecially it's small footprint, but I'm bummed by it's SNES audio output, which is blown out in most cases and really unpleasant sounding.

I know there's been several revisions to this console, including the 2.4gh controlled version. It's just hard to find specifically what was improved with the new versions. I'm interested in the SNES side sounding good.

Wondering if anyone here has a Retron 3 with good SNES sound, and if so, what's your model revision?

(I have a bunch of odd and unique carts, which makes the RetroN 3 important to me, since it's actual hardware and not emulation like the RetroN 5, just in case anyone was wondering why I don't consider one of them)

23 hours ago, CaptainBreakout said:

Hiya...

I have a first generation RetroN 3 (with the infared controllers).  I like the system okay, expecially it's small footprint, but I'm bummed by it's SNES audio output, which is blown out in most cases and really unpleasant sounding.

I know there's been several revisions to this console, including the 2.4gh controlled version. It's just hard to find specifically what was improved with the new versions. I'm interested in the SNES side sounding good.

Wondering if anyone here has a Retron 3 with good SNES sound, and if so, what's your model revision?

(I have a bunch of odd and unique carts, which makes the RetroN 3 important to me, since it's actual hardware and not emulation like the RetroN 5, just in case anyone was wondering why I don't consider one of them)

As far as I recall from all the reviews and people bagging on it, NO.  It's just garbage.  I get you want a NON-emulation thing, and stunningly from it is made(or at least rebranded and sold) by the incompetents at Hyperkin too, but the Supaboy S and SFC (not the normal older Supaboy) is what you want.  An even smaller profile unit as it's an overly fat handheld.  The core it uses is like 99.9% accurate to the original too and uses real carts.  All special chip games work, all weird one off graphical screwballs don't glitch, it just works right.  The unit has 2 controller ports on the front for real TV play and it does output from a monopole phone looking style jack on the system to a RCA out cable to a TV.  Combine that with its AC adapter that can both power and charge it, you have a nice convenient little console you can unhook and use as a handheld, kind of like a ghetto Switch.

I have the 2.4ghz version.  I am fairly happy with it but the snes audio does sound a little harsh to me. I never had a snes so  I don't have a great frame of reference. That being said it doesn't really bother me . I don't know bad it originally was but to me the audio isn't that bad. People call these things garbage but I just don't agree with that.  Mine plays pretty much everything I have thrown at it and the s-video out looks great through a RetroTink on a HD tv . I find any audio issues to be fairly minor. 

Edited by envytomdead2

Yeah you said it, frame of reference.  You're like all those thousands of people yearly who just loved the Sega Genesis firecore broken emulator ATGames peddled for console and handheld up until 2 years ago (console side) that had some pretty broken/bad audio.  But many just don't care or realize it because it's their first exposure so it just sounds normal as you have no idea and if that pleases you then all the better.  If you're happy despite what I said being a really good option, I'd just say don't, and don't bother firing up youtube to check out stuff either as you'll end up disappointed. :)

1 hour ago, envytomdead2 said:

I have the 2.4ghz version.  I am fairly happy with it but the snes audio does sound a little harsh to me. I never had a snes so  I don't have a great frame of reference. That being said it doesn't really bother me . I don't know bad it originally was but to me the audio isn't that bad. People call these things garbage but I just don't agree with that.  Mine plays pretty much everything I have thrown at it and the s-video out looks great through a RetroTink on a HD tv . I find any audio issues to be fairly minor. 

Thanks. I appreciate that. I'm somewhere in between the opinions expressed so here. I don't think the RetroN 3 is garbage. If it wasn't for the fact that the SNES sound isn't perfect I'd be 100% happy with it. I'm trying to keep my cart and console collection from sprawling out from a very confined space, and this thing has proven to be a key component, especially since it plays all the weird homebrews, multicarts and oddities (super Gameboy, power base converter, action 52) that I throw at it.

The supaboy is an interesting idea. It's kind of weird to have a semi-handheld jacked into a couch-gaming setup. Considering it but haven't made up my mind.

Envytomdead2: thanks for letting me know the 2.4gig version sounds harsh on the SNES side. That was really what I needed an answer to.

23 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Yeah you said it, frame of reference.  You're like all those thousands of people yearly who just loved the Sega Genesis firecore broken emulator ATGames peddled for console and handheld up until 2 years ago (console side) that had some pretty broken/bad audio.  But many just don't care or realize it because it's their first exposure so it just sounds normal as you have no idea and if that pleases you then all the better.  If you're happy despite what I said being a really good option, I'd just say don't, and don't bother firing up youtube to check out stuff either as you'll end up disappointed. :)

I don't consider myself a SNES collector. I have one multi cart with 100 games on it which I mainly got to see if the SNES side was working.  I got the retron 3 to play Sega and NES games which it does fairly well. Are there some minor audio issues, sure but the convenience makes up for it. 

22 hours ago, CaptainBreakout said:

it plays all the weird homebrews, multicarts and oddities (super Gameboy, power base converter, action 52) that I throw at it.

Are you using an original power base converter and if so do get those little graphical glitches master system games? 

14 hours ago, envytomdead2 said:

Are you using an original power base converter and if so do get those little graphical glitches master system games?

Yes I am using an original Power Base Converter. I have on of those "cart save" passthrough carts that is basically just an extension for the cart slot, kind of like a game genie but just a direct socket connection (you used to see these at flea markets and game stores back in the day for a couple of bucks). That gives me enough room for the PBC to physically clear, which sits on the top of the Retron like a helmet.

I wasn't aware that some games had graphical glitches. Do you know which ones? I can test it out and see, if I have the game.

4 minutes ago, CaptainBreakout said:

Yes I am using an original Power Base Converter. I have on of those "cart save" passthrough carts that is basically just an extension for the cart slot, kind of like a game genie but just a direct socket connection (you used to see these at flea markets and game stores back in the day for a couple of bucks). That gives me enough room for the PBC to physically clear, which sits on the top of the Retron like a helmet.

I wasn't aware that some games had graphical glitches. Do you know which ones? I can test it out and see, if I have the game.

Golden Axe, Space Harrier, Thunder Blade Rastan minor at the top of the screen.  Double dragon has it too.