Jump to content
Giles N

What is your top 10 list of Atari 400 or 800 games that you would want to see ported to the 5200?

Recommended Posts

What is your top 10 list of Atari 400 or 800 games that you would want to see ported to the 5200?

 

Please rank from top to bottom, or just mention 10 that you would like to

see as fully working cartridges available for the 5200 system.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

See ^above.

 

I think many of these could be nice additions (of course, not the titles already available on both 8-bit and 5200), if put on 5200 carts and reworked or reprogrammed or whatever to be used on the 5200 console.

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to see The Great American Cross Country Road Race ported somehow. Already the best 8-bit Atari racing game, analog steering would be a treat.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this time, not sure I have a full top-ten list, but let me mention several titles anyway (let me also say I am not an expert on the 5200 library, including already-ported homebrews, so perhaps some of this has already been achieved):

 

Pitfall II with the extra adventure (is it called Adventurer's Edition?)...

Zorro

Bruce Lee

Goonies 

Maxwell Manor

B.C. Quest for Tires

 

Don't really play racing games too often, but I did play Great American Cross-Country Race a bit, so I second the motion on that...

 

I didn't watch the linked video, but I'm sure most of these appeared on it...will have to check it out later...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of these might have been done already, some will surely require bankswitching, and some may not be feasible at all with only 16K of RAM.  But in no particular order, here's my list:

 

Shadow World

Crystal Castles (the completed 1988 version)

Archon II: Adept

Monster Smash!

Pharaoh's Curse

Realm of Impossibility (with four-player simultaneous support!)

Alley Cat

Koronis Rift / The Eidolon

Summer Games

XE Mario Brothers

 

These are mostly games that I think would benefit from analog controls and/or two action buttons.  (I'd actually like to try converting some of these myself someday!)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Eidolon, Koronis Rift, and Spy vs. Spy are great suggestions...loved playing Spy, enjoyed Eidolon but didn't get too far in it, and Rift was quite cool (I think the latter two were from Lucasfilm, if I recall). I long for the days of computer-game boxes with all of their fun contents, like instruction manuals and diaries, posters, cards, etc. (Think Eidolon came with a diary, but I'd have to go check my copy to see.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2019 at 7:09 PM, AAA177 said:

At this time, not sure I have a full top-ten list, but let me mention several titles anyway (let me also say I am not an expert on the 5200 library, including already-ported homebrews, so perhaps some of this has already been achieved):

 

Pitfall II with the extra adventure (is it called Adventurer's Edition?)...

Zorro

Bruce Lee

Goonies 

Maxwell Manor

B.C. Quest for Tires

 

Don't really play racing games too often, but I did play Great American Cross-Country Race a bit, so I second the motion on that...

 

I didn't watch the linked video, but I'm sure most of these appeared on it...will have to check it out later...

 

Pitfall II: Lost Cavern's Adventurer's Edition for the Atari 5200 is essentially the same game as the Atari 8-bit computer port.

 

 

I would like to see the homebrew Dr. Mario ported to the Atari 5200.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cloak & Dagger.

 

Granted, the 8-bit version would need to be completed first, but seeing that followed by a port over to the 5200 would really bring the history of that game full-circle.

 

It might even be enough to make me pick up a 5200 again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2019 at 10:03 PM, buzz_n64 said:

 

I would like to see the homebrew Dr. Mario ported to the Atari 5200.

 

Wow that turned out AMAZING! Didn't know the A8 had a homebrew port of Dr. Mario! Thanks for the info!

 

Having this on the 5200 would be fantastic!

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2019 at 6:58 PM, adam242 said:

I'd love to see The Great American Cross Country Road Race ported somehow. Already the best 8-bit Atari racing game, analog steering would be a treat.

 

You beat me to it. Plus, if one were to hack that game, it could be converted into Road Blasters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2019 at 10:32 PM, Shawn said:

 

Wow that turned out AMAZING! Didn't know the A8 had a homebrew port of Dr. Mario! Thanks for the info!

 

Having this on the 5200 would be fantastic!

 

 

 

You're going to make me plug in my NES Classic to see if the original had 2-button action to it. Obviously, the A8 port of the homebrew would have to be modded further to support the extra fire button if that's the case.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a link to a currently completed list of A8 games ported to the 5200 by homebrew means?

 

There's so many XEGS games that should be ported if there was a way around the 5200's memory limitations.  Nir Dary told me a few years ago that all of the XEGS games that supposedly required 64K could be bankswitched with some additional "hacking" to successfully run on 16K systems whether they were the 400/800, 600XL, or the 5200. Otherwise, we'd need a RAM upgrade option which hasn't happened so far.

 

Imagine XEGS Commando ported to the 5200. Or Dark Chambers. Or even Yoomp.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Lynxpro said:

Is there a link to a currently completed list of A8 games ported to the 5200 by homebrew means?

 

There's so many XEGS games that should be ported if there was a way around the 5200's memory limitations.  Nir Dary told me a few years ago that all of the XEGS games that supposedly required 64K could be bankswitched with some additional "hacking" to successfully run on 16K systems whether they were the 400/800, 600XL, or the 5200. Otherwise, we'd need a RAM upgrade option which hasn't happened so far.

 

Imagine XEGS Commando ported to the 5200. Or Dark Chambers. Or even Yoomp.

 

Having Commando on the 5200 would be awesome!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Lynxpro said:

 

You're going to make me plug in my NES Classic to see if the original had 2-button action to it. Obviously, the A8 port of the homebrew would have to be modded further to support the extra fire button if that's the case.

 

You only need the one button for Dr. Mario to flip the pill around and then the directional control for moving the pill. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Shawn said:

 

You only need the one button for Dr. Mario to flip the pill around and then the directional control for moving the pill. :)

You can play with only one button, but having two lets you choose whether to rotate clockwise or counterclockwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deepthaw said:

You can play with only one button, but having two lets you choose whether to rotate clockwise or counterclockwise.

 

Not a big deal if it was the difference of having it on the 5200 or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

has gamestar's on track been ported ?

 

i'd like a top down racing game like ivan stewarts or champion sprint

Edited by dingdong
stupidity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont have a list yet but after seeing that Defender of the Crown was ported to the Intellivision would like to see more games like that and some dungeon crawlers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Master of Lamps

The Eidolin

Beach Head 2

Ghost Busters

Summer Games

Infiltrator

Alternate Reality

World Championship Karate

Ninja

Seven Cities of Gold

Conan

 

Having a save feature on a 5200 would be incredible alone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...