IGNORED

What is your top 10 list of Atari 400 or 800 games that you would want to see ported to the 5200?

Giles N

See ^above.

I think many of these could be nice additions (of course, not the titles already available on both 8-bit and 5200), if put on 5200 carts and reworked or reprogrammed or whatever to be used on the 5200 console.

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1

At this time, not sure I have a full top-ten list, but let me mention several titles anyway (let me also say I am not an expert on the 5200 library, including already-ported homebrews, so perhaps some of this has already been achieved):

Pitfall II with the extra adventure (is it called Adventurer's Edition?)...

Zorro

Bruce Lee

Goonies 

Maxwell Manor

B.C. Quest for Tires

Don't really play racing games too often, but I did play Great American Cross-Country Race a bit, so I second the motion on that...

I didn't watch the linked video, but I'm sure most of these appeared on it...will have to check it out later...

Some of these might have been done already, some will surely require bankswitching, and some may not be feasible at all with only 16K of RAM.  But in no particular order, here's my list:

Shadow World

Crystal Castles (the completed 1988 version)

Archon II: Adept

Monster Smash!

Pharaoh's Curse

Realm of Impossibility (with four-player simultaneous support!)

Alley Cat

Koronis Rift / The Eidolon

Summer Games

XE Mario Brothers

These are mostly games that I think would benefit from analog controls and/or two action buttons.  (I'd actually like to try converting some of these myself someday!)

• Like 1

The Eidolon, Koronis Rift, and Spy vs. Spy are great suggestions...loved playing Spy, enjoyed Eidolon but didn't get too far in it, and Rift was quite cool (I think the latter two were from Lucasfilm, if I recall). I long for the days of computer-game boxes with all of their fun contents, like instruction manuals and diaries, posters, cards, etc. (Think Eidolon came with a diary, but I'd have to go check my copy to see.)

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/30/2019 at 7:09 PM, AAA177 said:

At this time, not sure I have a full top-ten list, but let me mention several titles anyway (let me also say I am not an expert on the 5200 library, including already-ported homebrews, so perhaps some of this has already been achieved):

Pitfall II with the extra adventure (is it called Adventurer's Edition?)...

Zorro

Bruce Lee

Goonies 

Maxwell Manor

B.C. Quest for Tires

Don't really play racing games too often, but I did play Great American Cross-Country Race a bit, so I second the motion on that...

I didn't watch the linked video, but I'm sure most of these appeared on it...will have to check it out later...

Pitfall II: Lost Cavern's Adventurer's Edition for the Atari 5200 is essentially the same game as the Atari 8-bit computer port.

I would like to see the homebrew Dr. Mario ported to the Atari 5200.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/27/2019 at 10:03 PM, buzz_n64 said:

I would like to see the homebrew Dr. Mario ported to the Atari 5200.

Wow that turned out AMAZING! Didn't know the A8 had a homebrew port of Dr. Mario! Thanks for the info!

Having this on the 5200 would be fantastic!

• Like 2

On 8/30/2019 at 6:58 PM, adam242 said:

I'd love to see The Great American Cross Country Road Race ported somehow. Already the best 8-bit Atari racing game, analog steering would be a treat.

You beat me to it. Plus, if one were to hack that game, it could be converted into Road Blasters.

On 11/2/2019 at 10:32 PM, Shawn said:

Wow that turned out AMAZING! Didn't know the A8 had a homebrew port of Dr. Mario! Thanks for the info!

Having this on the 5200 would be fantastic!

You're going to make me plug in my NES Classic to see if the original had 2-button action to it. Obviously, the A8 port of the homebrew would have to be modded further to support the extra fire button if that's the case.

• Like 1

Is there a link to a currently completed list of A8 games ported to the 5200 by homebrew means?

There's so many XEGS games that should be ported if there was a way around the 5200's memory limitations.  Nir Dary told me a few years ago that all of the XEGS games that supposedly required 64K could be bankswitched with some additional "hacking" to successfully run on 16K systems whether they were the 400/800, 600XL, or the 5200. Otherwise, we'd need a RAM upgrade option which hasn't happened so far.

Imagine XEGS Commando ported to the 5200. Or Dark Chambers. Or even Yoomp.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lynxpro said:

Is there a link to a currently completed list of A8 games ported to the 5200 by homebrew means?

There's so many XEGS games that should be ported if there was a way around the 5200's memory limitations.  Nir Dary told me a few years ago that all of the XEGS games that supposedly required 64K could be bankswitched with some additional "hacking" to successfully run on 16K systems whether they were the 400/800, 600XL, or the 5200. Otherwise, we'd need a RAM upgrade option which hasn't happened so far.

Imagine XEGS Commando ported to the 5200. Or Dark Chambers. Or even Yoomp.

Having Commando on the 5200 would be awesome!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lynxpro said:

You're going to make me plug in my NES Classic to see if the original had 2-button action to it. Obviously, the A8 port of the homebrew would have to be modded further to support the extra fire button if that's the case.

You only need the one button for Dr. Mario to flip the pill around and then the directional control for moving the pill. :)