IGNORED

Pokeymax v2

foft

I just finished the schematic for the v2 version of pokeymax. This takes in feedback I received from the run I entered into the hardware contest last year.

The changes I made are:

i) Size reduced. Its now 21.4mm x 52mm, which should fix clearance issues in some arcade pcbs.

ii) It will use better machined pins

iii) Higher volume audio output

iv) Removed the extra capacitors and resistors included on v1 in error.

v) Faster pot reset

vi) Added A5 pin to support quad mode

vii) Added ext pin for explicit mono/stereo switching

I'm getting some pcbs manufactured now and santosp kindly offered to assemble a couple. If these all work as expected I'll probably get a larger run manufactured.

I'd like to work out the level of interest. Please will you reply to this thread with how many you'd be interested in purchasing? The price is likely to be about 50-60USD + shipping.

For v1 see:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/282166-abbuc-hardware-contest-entry-pokeymax/

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hi Mark,

sounds great?!

I´m in with a minimum of two PokeyMAX v2.

Thx.,

andY

15 hours ago, foft said:

I'd like to work out the level of interest. Please will you reply to this thread with how many you'd be interested in purchasing? The price is likely to be about 50-60USD + shipping.

Edited by andymanone

I think that I'd like to try putting a stereo board into one of my XLs at some point so a smaller footprint Pokeymax would probably be good for that.  I also have a real Pokey in my CuttleCart 2 and would probably like to switch that out at some point too.  

I missed out last year, but I'm still interested in at least one. Has anyone put one in an 800? Any clearance issues with either the RF shield or other components on the board?

Also, has the bug fix for Touch Tablet support been implemented on v2?

Edited by adam242

8 hours ago, adam242 said:

I missed out last year, but I'm still interested in at least one. Has anyone put one in an 800? Any clearance issues with either the RF shield or other components on the board?

Also, has the bug fix for Touch Tablet support been implemented on v2?

Re clearance: There is a pin header for connecting audio out + ext pins. This could be left off it’s a problem. Wires could be directly soldered or a right angle header could be used. Do you know how much clearance there is?

Re touch tablet: Yes the duplicate capacitors and resistors for paddle inputs have been removed.

Edited by foft
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello foft

If you tell me if A5 is for selecting between two PokeyMax V2's or if it's for selecting between two halves of one Quad Pokey, I'll also take two.

Sincerely

Mathy

Well I haven’t yet modified the core to the new hardware.

Which do you think’ll be most fun: quad pokey or dual pokey + single sid?

7 minutes ago, foft said:

SID sounds playing out of my Atari would be cool.

I would take 1-2. (1 Quad Pokeymax and probably 2 Dual Pokey/Single SID Pokeymax's)

Hello foft

42 minutes ago, foft said:

Quad Pokey, hands down.  We wanna show the power of the Pokey/Atari, not SID/C64.

Sincerely

Mathy

PS and we need Quad Pokeys for arcade machines.

Edited by Mathy
Typing error. Extra line of text added.
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Mathy said:

PS and we need Quad Pokeys for arcade machines.

Do you have any idea of the pinout for the quad pokey? I lost it and can't find it by googling:

137324-1221 pinout

I can't work it out from this! https://arcadefixit.com/product.sc?productId=281

edit: Ah, its here:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/257141-quadro-pokey-pcb-4x-for-tmc2/?do=findComment&comment=3988692

Edited by foft
  • Like 1

On 8/26/2019 at 8:49 PM, foft said:

Well I haven’t yet modified the core to the new hardware.

Quad pokey is useless, because absolute NO software exists IMHO. A single SID add-on would be very nice, and SID players are existing already IMHO, the polish (or czech?) guys made a cartridge with a real SID already.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2019 at 11:10 PM, foft said:

Count me in for 2 pieces, maybe more.

Hello Jürgen

2 hours ago, tf_hh said:

Quad pokey is useless, because absolute NO software exists IMHO. A single SID add-on would be very nice, and SID players are existing already IMHO, the polish (or czech?) guys made a cartridge with a real SID already.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Atari made hardware for which there was no software at the time of development and so did a lot of companies that made hardware for the Atari 8 bit computer and the same probably goes for some hardware from our own hardware contest.  "There's no software to support that" is NO reason not to develop something.  If the guys from Czechia or Poland or any other place in the world can write software to support a chip that wasn't even (intended to be) used in our computers, they sure as hell can write software to support four POKEYs, a chip that Atari developed for and used in their own 8 bit computers.

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm pissed off, but reasoning like this gets us nowhere.  And my blood boiling.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 2

On 8/26/2019 at 9:57 PM, foft said:

Updating:

Sleepy: 2-3

Erhard: 2

Larryleffaovell: 5

KlasO: 1-5

andymanone: 2+

mrarkus: 2+

ss: 2