Pokeymax v2

foft

On 12/12/2019 at 4:21 PM, andymanone said:

@foft

...any progress here ??

Thanks,

andY

Well, a little ?

I've not tested them yet, but @santosp tried a couple with my experimental core and told me they worked. I'm super-impressed with @santosp's soldering skills, the parts on these are beyond tiny.

IMG_20191230_105409-1600.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 12/31/2019 at 7:55 PM, foft said:

Well, a little ?

I've not tested them yet, but @santosp tried a couple with my experimental core and told me they worked. I'm super-impressed with @santosp's soldering skills, the parts on these are beyond tiny.

Great news!!!!

I can hardly wait until the final version is available ?!

Gtx and a happy new 2020 ?!

andY

• Like 2

On 12/31/2019 at 7:55 PM, foft said:

Well, a little ?

IMG_20191230_105409-1600.jpg

Wow... looks great. I´m also waiting for this, need more POKEY for repairs and this board frees at least one each system ?

But... PLEASE: When you, or Panos, or whoever made a final batch for us all, don´t let the header pins installed! You got space / fitting problems with some machones, and removing these headers is an unnecessary risk of damaging the PCB. The guys who wants headers, can solder them in. Thanks!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/2/2020 at 6:59 PM, andymanone said:

@foft

..sorry, me again, but any news or progress here ??

Thanks,

andY

Hi andY,

Yes there is some good news.

Firstly the boards that Panos made are working well for me. I've not found any issues yet.

Secondly I have recently been discussing an agreement on producing the Pokeymax with @Duddie from Retronics, which I'm very excited about!

Mark

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, foft said:

Hi andY,

Yes there is some good news.

Firstly the boards that Panos made are working well for me. I've not found any issues yet.

Secondly I have recently been discussing an agreement on producing the Pokeymax with @Duddie from Retronics, which I'm very excited about!

Mark

That´s are REALLY good news  ?!!!

Thx for reply ?!

Gtx.,

andY

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2019 at 11:44 AM, bocianu said:

Uh, so probably i don't have one :(

Mine looks like that:

IMG_20191112_174126.jpg

I have my Eclaire Mini cased up and I don't want to keep opening the case, is there a way to tell if I have the a2 or a4 chip without opening it up?

First initial batch arrived. Pre-order opened! This can be quad Pokey, Stereo Pokey or just Mono, being a 100% replacement for original pokey - everything depends on the firmware uploaded into chip. If anyone is interested in ordering it, please send an e-mail to orders(at)retronics.eu

However, please keep in mind that shipping worldwide is now very complicated and huge delays may occur. We are going to start shipping soon, when final firmware version will be finished by foft. Many interesting features to come, including new configuration registers!

Price of PokeyMAX is $59/pc.

20200319_141821.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I am totally planning to order one (or maybe two) Pokeymaxs.  However, because of the pandemic, Pennsylvania has closed the doors to nonessential businesses for the time being and this directly affects me.  So I am out of work until the crisis passes.  I have committed to not buying anything other than necessities until I am back to work full time.  So hopefully there will be some Pokeymaxs available to order in a month or two when some sense of normality returns to the world. 

10 hours ago, Mathy said:

Hello Duddie

On Facebook you mentioned 150 Zloty and 49 USD.  What happened?

Sincerely

Mathy

Mathy, it was very first batch, with smaller chip, which has been sold out quickly. Now I am using bigger chip, it will allow foft to put there two SIDs, two or more Covoxes, maybe YM2149 (AY3-8912) and even Paula. That's why price is higher. Of course, it may be lower if demand is high - then I may produce bigger batches in lower price.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, orpheuswaking said:

I’m afraid until regular Pokey chips cost more than $59 I can’t justify buying this. Wish there were a way to get the cost down. 

Buy two of them, if still available anywhere, and you will exceed this price easily..... This chip has 4 pokeys inside, and will have more sound chips!

• Like 2

Small fpga: Room for mono or dual pokey. The quad fits but it’s a real squeeze, had to disable some things (config regs and some internal low pass filters)

Large fpga: Room for quad with all features. Plan to include dual sid, dual ym, covox and wave/sample player. Subject to space, yet to be seen if they all fit at once.

Edited by foft
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, foft said:

u1m switch

Does Pokeymax accurately emulate the state of the random number generator when POKEY is in a reset state? I have been obliged to change the POKEY detection method in my U1MB firmware in order to be compatible with Candle's as yet unreleased SimpleStereo v3 and it would be useful to know if I will have to change things yet a second time.

Strategy employed (which is apparently SimpleStereo v3 compatible) is Method 2 here:

http://atariki.krap.pl/index.php/Programowanie:_Detekcja_stereo

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Duddie said:

Buy two of them, if still available anywhere, and you will exceed this price easily..... This chip has 4 pokeys inside, and will have more sound chips!

I only need single POKEY chips for my purposes. The additional Pokey's and sound chips would be a waste for me. That said, I still think this is a great development and the price is right for what it is. 

I wonder if there is a way to make a cut down cheaper version for those of us that really just want a single replacement chip? 

6 minutes ago, foft said:

I think it’s fine but I’d need to check. I don’t have an u1m but Duddie does, is there a firmware version he should make sure it has?

Well, it's not released yet, but if Duddie needs to run any tests, he could execute the code in the example or I can make something and send it to him.

31 minutes ago, orpheuswaking said:

I only need single POKEY chips for my purposes. The additional Pokey's and sound chips would be a waste for me. That said, I still think this is a great development and the price is right for what it is. 

I wonder if there is a way to make a cut down cheaper version for those of us that really just want a single replacement chip? 

I only think the costs work out for:

i) Stereo or more

ii) Mono on larger volume

Since for stereo the comparison is with 2*pokey + adaptor board.

For larger volume mono, suppliers will often only sell a few pokey chips.

Of course this will change over the years as pokey chips become less common.

Edited by foft

Hello guys

Does "bigger chip" mean bigger in size millimeter wise or only "internally bigger"?  Is the PCB the same for both versions?

How many would you need to sell before the price drops?

Sincerely

Mathy

Edited by Mathy