IGNORED

Pokeymax v2

foft

Mathy, PCB is the same, but it may change in the future - we will need more pins for controlling other features. Price depends on quantity ordered (parts, PCBs, assembling) - the more - the cheaper. However, I do not want to freeze a large amount of money and sell for a few years. If I would get, let's say 100 orders (100 pcs.) - price would be 20% less. 

• Like 2

So what exactly do I need to know about using a Pokeymax as a stereo board?  Can I run an audio out directly off of it?  Because I have a SOPHIA board sitting waiting to install and am thinking that a stereo enabled Pokeymax might be a perfect compliment to it.

You can directly wire up some rca sockets or a stereo 3.5mm to it. It outputs at about line level, so plug into the aux inputs on your amp.

By default both left and right are mixed through the pokey audio output.

You need to connect A4 to the board so it can tell which pokey is being addressed.

Also gtia and u1mb may be connected to allow mixing gtia audio into channels and switching stereo on/off.

Edited by foft
  • Like 2

On 3/22/2020 at 10:47 AM, Duddie said:

First initial batch arrived. Pre-order opened! This can be quad Pokey, Stereo Pokey or just Mono, being a 100% replacement for original pokey - everything depends on the firmware uploaded into chip. If anyone is interested in ordering it, please send an e-mail to orders(at)retronics.eu

However, please keep in mind that shipping worldwide is now very complicated and huge delays may occur. We are going to start shipping soon, when final firmware version will be finished by foft. Many interesting features to come, including new configuration registers!

Price of PokeyMAX is $59/pc.

20200319_141821.jpg

Hi Duddie,

is there later an easy way to change the core?

if I want to change from let’s say stereo pokey to stereo pokey plus Sid or covox?

thanks

frank

The price is very competitive if people are looking to install a stereo board in their system, because if I'm understanding correctly how this works you would only need the Pokeymax, and no stereo PCB required. But for a single Pokey application it wouldn't make sense economically speaking. At least not until Pokeys become way more expensive.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, foft said:

Yes, though its a non-standard pinout. So would need to make a custom wire from the USB blaster.

Not that it's hard for me to make custom cables, but why do I have to do it for every damn device?  Why is it so hard to follow a standard, especially with a whopping what - 4 or 6 pins?

3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Not that it's hard for me to make custom cables, but why do I have to do it for every damn device?  Why is it so hard to follow a standard, especially with a whopping what - 4 or 6 pins?

There wasn't space.

I used the standard 10 pin one on Eclaire and pokeymax v1...

Edited by foft
  • Like 1

Some places already sell Pokey chips for $65 and since PokeyMAX replaces original chip, you can sell it and get PokeyMAX for free or even make $5 ;) On top of that, you get stereo and all the other PokeyMAX functions for free. I know that we can't make new Pokey chips, but every PokeyMAX installed make one more Pokey available. It may drive the prices of original chips down. Not to mention that PokeyMAX can save the life of another computer, 5200 or 7800 Ballblazer cart. 

Does PokeyMAX can be used in 1088XEL/XLD motherboards?

• Like 1

Hello guys

Sell the "old" Pokey after installing the PokeyMax?  Don't you guys have more than one Atari 8 bit computer?  The "old" Pokey plus a Dual Pokey upgrade PCB is all you need to upgrade a second Atari to stereo.  Meaning for a little over the price of a PokeyMax, you can upgrade TWO Atari 8 bit computers to stereo.  :grin:

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 3

Hello Duddie

5 hours ago, Duddie said:

Mathy, PCB is the same, but it may change in the future - we will need more pins for controlling other features.

If the PCB does get bigger, would that be more in the range of 1.1x the current PCB or more like 1.5 or 2x the size?

Sincerely

Mathy

Edited by Mathy

1 hour ago, foft said:

There wasn't space.

I used the standard 10 pin one on Eclaire and pokeymax v1...

Sorry - this was ignorance on my part.  I did not know the standard was a 10-pin connector.  You'll get no complaints on me about price either - I think this is a wonderful product, and will only get more necessary as the finite stock of Pokey chips is exhausted.  Sorry again - I did not mean to cast any negativity towards this product.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, chevymad said:

I too am wondering about this. Since I'm building an XLD right now, if this could be used instead of buying 2 pokey's?

I don’t see why not, though it’ll need a special core I think. Take the right audio output and feed it to pin 37 of the second pokey. The special core is needed to boost the volume from line level to 5V, to match the aud pin level.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mathy said:

Hello Duddie

If the PCB does get bigger, would that be more in the range of 1.1x the current PCB or more like 1.5 or 2x the size?

Sincerely

Mathy

I’d like to think it could be fitted in the current size. Just need to work out a way to level shift 2-3 more pins.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 10:47 AM, Duddie said:

First initial batch arrived. Pre-order opened! This can be quad Pokey, Stereo Pokey or just Mono, being a 100% replacement for original pokey - everything depends on the firmware uploaded into chip. If anyone is interested in ordering it, please send an e-mail to orders(at)retronics.eu

However, please keep in mind that shipping worldwide is now very complicated and huge delays may occur. We are going to start shipping soon, when final firmware version will be finished by foft. Many interesting features to come, including new configuration registers!

Price of PokeyMAX is $59/pc.

20200319_141821.jpg

I´ve just ordered my promised two ones ?.

Gtx.,

andY

• Like 1

@Duddie @foft so if just understood the past 5 pages, the ones that now can be ordered are able to quad pokey/dual SID/YM/Paula and all of this ?
If so please note me down also for 1 to add to my 1030XE, however due to the Corona closing of borders I guess no shipping will be able to be done yet.

@Duddie what amount should I transfer via Paypal ? EUR ? USD ? PLN ?

On 3/24/2020 at 9:31 PM, Lastic said:

@Duddie @foft so if just understood the past 5 pages, the ones that now can be ordered are able to quad pokey/dual SID/YM/Paula and all of this ?
If so please note me down also for 1 to add to my 1030XE, however due to the Corona closing of borders I guess no shipping will be able to be done yet.

@Duddie what amount should I transfer via Paypal ? EUR ? USD ? PLN ?

For now, Mono, Stereo and Stereo with Covox are ready. You can transfer any currency, I use all (equivalent amount). Shipping worldwide is $9.

Hello guys

5 hours ago, Duddie said:

You can transfer any currency, I use all (equivalent amount).

For those living in the EU: Transferring an amount of money from bank account to bank account in Euros will (in most cases) cost both the sender and the receiver nothing.  Transferring all other currencies will cost either or both money.  Transferring Euros to a country that does not have the Euro as it's currency means the currency will be exchanged to the currency of the country of the receiver.

For instance: I transfer money to somebody in Sweden.  I transfer Euros, (s)he receives Swedish Krone's.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1