IGNORED

Pokeymax v2

foft

I use a credit card that has no foreign exchange fees.  Then I pay in the local/destination currency.  For example, I recently ordered an Incognito and had to use PayPal.  PayPal had a terrible USD to PLN exchange rate.  So by paying directly in PLN (using the credit card's exchange rate), I saved ~$5 over paying in USD and having PayPal do the conversion.

• Like 2

Hmmmmm, (confused)

59 USD is that the price for the large or small PokeyMax then ?!?

Or how much is it for the small PokeyMax and how much is it for the large PokeyMAX ?

Depending on price, I am interested in 1-2 small (mono, stereo and Covox) and 1-2 large PokeyMax (mono, stereo, quad Pokey, Covox, SID, YM, Paula, mp3, flac, dts, THX, philharmonic orchestra, whatever).

Just now, CharlieChaplin said:

Hmmmmm, (confused)

59 USD is that the price for the large or small PokeyMax then ?!?

Or how much is it for the small PokeyMax and how much is it for the large PokeyMAX ?

Depending on price, I am interested in 1-2 small (mono, stereo and Covox) and 1-2 large PokeyMax (mono, stereo, quad Pokey, Covox, SID, YM, Paula, mp3, flac, dts, THX, philharmonic orchestra, whatever).

Hi CC,

it´s the price for the large ones.

As far as I know only the first batch (finally sold out) was with the small ones.

Gtx.,

andY

First batch (sold out) was Mono or Stereo only. Now, we are awaiting bigger chip (59 USD), which can fit Quad Pokey with config register and maybe Covox. We are considering even bigger chip for SID or two and maybe YM2149 (AY3-8912) or two of them - everything depends on the size of code - but this chip will be even more expensive.

Therefore, please do not order anything else than Mono/Stereo/Quad Pokey yet. Me and Mark (foft) will keep you informed about progress. Results are very promising and we are very excited!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

For me it would be okay like this:

- small chip: mono/stereo Pokey + Covox (no quad Pokey!)

- large chip: mono/stereo/quad Pokey, Covox, SID, YM, Paula and whatever fits...

So the small chip is also usefull as a replacement of stereo enhancements (to make two Pokey chips available again and of course for those Atarians that do not want more than stereo). Both small and large chips should also support dual-mono (2x mono, mono left+right), since there are thousands of A8 programs in mono...

If anyone wants Mono/Stereo/Stereo plus Covox PokeyMAX, still a few available. Price depends on demand, if it is bigger, price will get lower. For now, I produce them in small batches, as it is quite expensive to manufacture dozens of various versions.

Foft is developing new PCB, with 4-layers and bigger chip. We need it for having more controlling pins for next audio chips to be put into it. Price will be slightly higher.

Price is changing, because design is changing. I will strive to have the cheapest Mono replacements too.

20200402_115045.thumb.jpg.93af5ea099e344951aa8a08e8b5b65d3.jpg

Edited by Duddie
  • Like 2

Is there a schematic showing the pin requirements that need to be satisfied for Stereo and Covox versions?

Also what is the external audio header pin-out, and is the location of that header fixed (thinking it might be nice to support this in a future project I have in mind, where with the appropriate header, those signals could be automatically connected to as part of plugging it into the motherboard).

Sure, there will be a manual, in .pdf file, I will upload it here when it is ready (a few days max). Now it is still changing, and final diagram will depend on firmware used. But more or less, it will look like on diagram attached (do not use it yet, as it may change!)

diagram_PM.png

Edited by Duddie
  • Like 7

On 4/7/2020 at 5:51 PM, Duddie said:

Sure, there will be a manual, in .pdf file, I will upload it here when it is ready (a few days max). Now it is still changing, and final diagram will depend on firmware used. But more or less, it will look like on diagram attached (do not use it yet, as it may change!)

I missed one important fact... when the next "bigger" version is out, is it always possible to change the firmware by one´s self? Of course the special programming equipment is needed, but will the firmwares be published regulary or remains it a closed black box?

It will be ready in a couple of days. Foft is also working on firmware to be available for download, but, JTAG connector on PokeyMAX needs a special adapter, therefore, it is rather for experienced people, and those having USB Blaster for programming Altera/Intel chips.

I suggest to select firmware which will be used at the moment of purchase. I can also program FW later, but it would require shipping PokeyMAX here and there.

Early version of manual (not finished yet - lack of developer's guide) is here: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AiIXTNbzgkm2gbw1_S8LEm4NEF-ZWA?e=fIjNOq

You can save this link, I will be updating it there. Schematics of connection for every version are included in this manual.

For now, you can order from six versions:

1.Mono
2.Stereo Auto
3.Stereo with U1MB control
4.Stereo Auto plus Covox (4-channels)
5.Quad Auto
6.Quad Auto plus Covox

It will be listed on ebay too.

pokeymax1.jpg

pokeymax2.jpg

Edited by Duddie
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Duddie said:

Early version of manual (not finished yet - lack of developer's guide) is here: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AiIXTNbzgkm2gbw1_S8LEm4NEF-ZWA?e=fIjNOq

You can save this link, I will be updating it there. Schematics of connection for every version are included in this manual.

1.Mono
2.Stereo Auto
5.Quad Auto
6.Quad Auto plus Covox

It will be listed on ebay too.

pokeymax1.jpg

pokeymax2.jpg

What are the prices for each type?

5 hours ago, Duddie said:

1.Mono
2.Stereo Auto

Will #3 work in my U1MB machine just like a standard POKEY chip until I am ready to wire it up for Stereo?  Also, once I do the Stereo mod, will audio-out still work like normal via the monitor port?  Thanks.  

All these options make my head dizzy.

1.Mono
2.Stereo Auto
5.Quad Auto
6.Quad Auto plus Covox

The 4-channels refer to Covox ?

If I choose a Quad Auto , can I use with U1MB ? Can it also be used as a Stereo Auto ?

1 hour ago, SS said:

Will #3 work in my U1MB machine just like a standard POKEY chip until I am ready to wire it up for Stereo?  Also, once I do the Stereo mod, will audio-out still work like normal via the monitor port?  Thanks.  

You will need to ground the u1mb pin.

Yes there is (left channel) audio out via the monitor port.

Prices:

1.Mono - 49 USD
2.Stereo Auto - 53 USD
3.Stereo with U1MB control - 53 USD
4.Stereo Auto plus Covox (4-channels) - 58 USD
5.Quad Auto - 63 USD
6.Quad Auto plus Covox - 63 USD

Replies to above questions:

1.The 4-channels refer to Covox ?

Yes. Irregardless of version, Covox has 4 channels, registers are mapped from $D280 to $D283.

2. If I choose a Quad Auto , can I use with U1MB ? Can it also be used as a Stereo Auto ?

It can be used with U1MB, but cannot be controlled by U1MB, at least - yet. All versions except Stereo U1MB need a switch, which selects mono/all features. It can be used as a Stereo Auto, because you have 4 Pokeys, two of them are in the same place as in Stereo version.

I know that manual is incomplete, but give me a few days more, I will update developer's section.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 x Stereo with U1MB control
1 x Quad Auto

for me please , do I have to pay now , what is the shipping cost ?
Has the lockdown been lifted from Poland post to ship towards Belgium ?
I'm still waiting on my tapes also so just want to check upfront.