foft

• 2 weeks later...

2x Quad Auto + Covox

I have 3x a130xe with stereo. 

Need quad pokey for tmc2 tracker. 

On 4/23/2020 at 6:50 AM, Lastic said:

1 x Stereo with U1MB control
1 x Quad Auto

for me please , do I have to pay now , what is the shipping cost ?
Has the lockdown been lifted from Poland post to ship towards Belgium ?
I'm still waiting on my tapes also so just 

52 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

with the cost of fuel being so low once normal shipping restarts do you think the prices will lower passing on those savings? doubtful...

I think its a lot like sales tax, the percentage keeps going up no matter what the economy is doing, which I always thought was strange. I would think that something that is based on a percentage of the sales price, would have no need to be increased. After all as the prices increased on the item, which most do over time, so too would be the tax authorities cut.

• Like 2

Maybe it could be for interest for other users too ?:

After receiving my PokeyMax yesterday, I faced to an issue, by using it in one of my 600XL.

After installing the PokeyMax, the 600XL lacks while booting up from different Sources (SIO2SD, SIO2PC, real 1050/XF551).

Sometimes it boots a short sequence and stops and go on booting and stops and so on...(finally Error 138)

Thanks to "tf_hh" and "Jurek", for the proper hint: 
The reason for it are two filter capacitors (C89/C90) connected to SIO Data_IN / Data_OUT (see attached pictures)
After removing both caps, the 600XL boots up perfectly with the PokeyMax ?!

Cheers 

andY

600xl.JPG

600xl_C89_C90.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, andymanone said:

The reason for it are two filter capacitors (C89/C90) connected to SIO Data_IN / Data_OUT (see attached pictures)
After removing both caps, the 600XL boots up perfectly with the PokeyMax

Is this an issue only with the 600XL or might it affect 800XLs too?

beating the dead horse till glue falls out, the capacitor removal has been suggested since the first higher speed drives came about, and also a staple for US Doubler, Happy Higher speed, indus drive lovers et al.  Peeps been snipping them out of the XL and XE line since for evah.

Why were they put there... double redundant... triple secret... fcc guidelines mayhaps...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SS said:

Is this an issue only with the 600XL or might it affect 800XLs too?

Yes, for all XL/XE computers this is relevant. At the 800XL and XE series mainboards the capacitors are labeled with C77 and C78.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

beating the dead horse till glue falls out, the capacitor removal has been suggested since the first higher speed drives came about, and also a staple for US Doubler, Happy Higher speed, indus drive lovers et al.  Peeps been snipping them out of the XL and XE line since for evah.

Why were they put there... double redundant... triple secret... fcc guidelines mayhaps...

When combining a capacitor with a resistor, you achieve the best ESD protection for the built-in clamp diodes of the IC chip. the resistor limits current, and the capacitor absorbs over voltage. And if you consider that kids might have placed this on the shag carpeted living room floor back in the 70's in order to use the family TV, they really needed to maximize the ESD protection. Now days the reality is that us old timers usually put our systems on a desk since we can no longer bend in the same ways that allowed a floor perch to work in the past, and we probably don't need to disassemble the system as much now that we have our own monitors, so ESD concerns have been reduced (if the system stays connected to the peripherals, ESD is kept out).

this probably all started with the 2600 line, which you know got used most of the time sitting on the floor ;-) .

• Like 5

Nah it's protected twice over, and if it's on the shag carpet in the middle of summer the computer isn't going to make it anyway. Might we add this doubling up was not done on the earlier 800... could be fun moving the computer/ disk drives/ possible data cassette/ and printer to the shag carpet on the floor...  sounds like a good deal of energy and work though. I don't want to pull all those power transformer blocks, sio cables and what not myself these days... I must be too old. Ah the 80's... those days are gone.

The 2600 which situated itself squarely across 70's had to be touched up using diodes on the ports as ESD protection because of the chip types used and the fact that it was designed with a super duper long power / rf cord and was primarily moved all over the carpet in a media center box or directly on the carpet... it was made so you could and it was designed to be abused, the choice of protection there ended up being diodes on the ports and became the stuff of engineering technical service bulletins/tips. Seems the early units turned up with the ESD issue and the touch up had to be incorporated into future pcb design.

I could definitely see the XEGS in it's cartridge only configuration becoming the subject of static filled ESD fun :) cackle cackle zap! So much was done to prevent esd being an issue... but what of the cartridge port... the benefit of years gone by dealing with this stuff. The 800 and XL's at least had grounded flaps and doors...

Edited by _The Doctor__

17 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I could definitely see the XEGS in it's cartridge only configuration becoming the subject of static filled esd fun :) cackle cackle zap!

Actually the XEGS has the absolute best ESD protection of all the systems, using LC networks.

XEGS Pokey Input Protection

XEGS_Pokey_inputs.thumb.png.82f02091944e13b71f15466eb88f55de.png

XEGS PIA Input Protection

XEGS_PIA_inputs.thumb.png.2a83aa6b964b780bce088b7ffb8485bd.png

EDIT: But you are correct that the Cartridge Port lacks protection, although it's recessed, and probably pretty safe because of that.

• Like 3

please press refresh, I can barely type, and edit before the replies come down the pike... and the forum does not update edits, it only advises new posts. I am starting to think I should click the forum post box and type out response coming.... then type away correcting all the spelling / auto correct crap... then touch it up and make it less of a word salad, and then post.

Edit, I see the note about the cartridge port... I'm a refresh-a-holic...

They could advise/notify edits just like new posts/reply... or even put a little note saying typing is going on (like on the messenger type apps on a cell phone)       It's my fault treating the forums like a cell phone instant messenger, but I use the phone for most of this now... and to be honest, the phone is a bad for the eyesight, fight you all the way auto correcting, fat finger nightmare. Further proving I should stop doing this sort of stuff any longer.

*edit* I just got the pop up telling me of the reply... the reply was to to refresh and see a further edit. I chuckled and realized we are all in the same boat, just some of us are going under the water a little sooner.. ?

Edited by _The Doctor__

I've refreshed.... though I could use a bit a of refreshing ;)

Observations- F5 doesn't do anything in 8.1 with firefox, I have to hit the reload button with the mouse(er em touchpad) on the pc or finger it on the Phone... that's a swipe fest. Yeah, I switched off the phone to laptop... wanted to see the posts better...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1