IGNORED

Pokeymax v2

foft

• 2 weeks later...

Because some of you can't wait for SID and YM2149 (AY3-8912) functionality in PokeyMAX, we have decided to offer you PokeyMAX in version 2 like below:

1. Quad SID (4x Pokey, 2xSID)

2. Quad Covox PSG (4x Pokey, 2x YM2149/AY, Covox)

Limited quantity available. More, in v3 will be available probably in August or September.

If you are curious how does SID or PSG (YM/AY) sounds in PokeyMAX, please look here:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiIXTNbzgkm2aX_1PnkQJCU6kXA?e=lvlwS8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Duddie said:

1. Quad SID (4x Pokey, 2xSID)

2. Quad Covox PSG (4x Pokey, 2x YM2149/AY, Covox)

Ahh, very cool?!

Now the triple "Quad+PSG+Covox" possible?! ??

So please correct my order to:

2x Quad SID (4x Pokey, 2xSID)

2x Quad Covox PSG

Thx & Gtx.,

andY

10 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Hmmm,

how about Paula and Jerry...? Or Amy ?

(runs and hides)

Paula is very similar to covox - 4 channels of 8-bit samples. Of course bigger chip can be used and DMA implemented, however, I think that Atari resources are too small for this. Amy? Why not. What is Jerry?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mathy said:

Hello Jerzy

Why call it Quad SID when there are only two SIDs in there?  And four PoKeys.

Sincerely

Mathy

Mathy, because all bigger versions have 4 Pokeys (that's why Quad). SID is only an extra feature. But of course if there is a demand, I am sure that foft can put as many SIDs as you want. Of course bigger chip will be needed and price will be much higher.

For now main problem is a lack of software (demos, games, trackers) for using these extra features. Only very few players exist, they allow you to play SID or YM modules. I hope that people will start using extra features of PokeyMAX for making demos, games, software.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Duddie said:

for using these extra features. Only very few players exist, they allow you to play SID or YM modules. I hope that people will start using extra features of PokeyMAX for making demos, games, software.

Some friends of mine and I actually working on a project, to bring up these extra features more popular ?....

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Duddie said:

Paula is very similar to covox - 4 channels of 8-bit samples. Of course bigger chip can be used and DMA implemented, however, I think that Atari resources are too small for this. Amy? Why not. What is Jerry?

Errmm,

Jerry is a mouse, known from Tom & Jerry. But Tom & Jerry are also chips in the Atari Jaguar, where Tom is the GPU and Jerry is the soundchip (DSP, 32Bit Risc, etc.)...  see also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sound_chips where TIA, Pokey and Amy are listed under PSG and Jerry is listed under FM synthesis and PCM. The list of Yamaha soundchips is shortened there, but there is another list dedicated especially to Yamaha (including their soundchips):  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Yamaha_Corporation_products#Sound_chips

I got my two Pokeymaxs in the mail today.  I haven't done any wiring yet but everything seems to be working fantastically as a straight Pokey replacement.  

One question : I thought that I had ordered a basic Stereo version but, instead, the Stereo Covox  version showed up.  Will this make any difference if I want to use the Pokeymax for just a simple stereo connection?  Also, will I still need to attach both the A4 & A7 wires to the SALLY chip or just the A4?  Thanks.

My order of Polish candies arrived today.  Nice of them to throw in a Pokeymax with the shipment!

IMG_1193.JPG

I hadn't seen one of those clear plastic hinged-cases in ages - I love it!

And cute slogan on the candy wrapper: "Retronics - where bites travel back in time..."

Edited by jamm
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, jamm said:

My order of Polish candies arrived today.

Here the same.

I´ve ordered three of the world most famous delicious and very rare Retronic sweets, and got four PokeyMax (fully packed with Quad, SID and YM) for free ?!

I call it a "first class" service??!

Gtx.,

andY

1591292144709.JPEG

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello guys

One of you guys has been had: You both order three pieces of candy.  One of you gets one PokeyMax and the other gets four All-In PokeyMaxes with his order.

:-D

Sincerely

Mathy

That's true, but I thought the Pokeymaxes where just there to provide padding for the candy.  And since I already at all my candies, I can't really complain about the padding (except for the padding that is being added to my waistline).

• Like 2

On 6/5/2020 at 2:04 PM, pseudografx said:

Have there been any improvements in POKEY emulation over the last couple of months? AFAIK, Instrumentarium did not sound quite right in the recordings from last year, especially the triangle waveform.

There have been improvements but mostly on the dac and non linear mixing.

Instrumentarium is one of the most complex tracks. Are you able to reproduce the difference you hear with a simpler example?

Pokeymax is much closer to pokey than 8580 is to 6581.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2020 at 4:30 AM, foft said:

CO12294

http://www.64kib.com/pokeymax_flacs/pokeyorig_triangle.flac

Pokeymax

http://www.64kib.com/pokeymax_flacs/pokeymax_triangle.flac

They sound good to me, but perhaps I'm not familiar enough with the detail you are looking for?

I notice in the original audio there is a very clear low-frequency component from the start.  This seems missing from the Pokeymax, and you don't really hear the low-frequency sound start until about 5 seconds in.

I'm just playing this on my laptop speakers, not using headphones, so I'm sure I'm missing other details, but there's a pretty clear difference in the output from each.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 1:30 PM, foft said:

CO12294

http://www.64kib.com/pokeymax_flacs/pokeyorig_triangle.flac

Pokeymax

http://www.64kib.com/pokeymax_flacs/pokeymax_triangle.flac

They sound good to me, but perhaps I'm not familiar enough with the detail you are looking for?

Great, it seems that the triangle waveform now works properly. In the recording from last year, it did not sound right.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jamm said:

I notice in the original audio there is a very clear low-frequency component from the start.  This seems missing from the Pokeymax, and you don't really hear the low-frequency sound start until about 5 seconds in.

I'm just playing this on my laptop speakers, not using headphones, so I'm sure I'm missing other details, but there's a pretty clear difference in the output from each.

Yes there is some dac noise I think. I hear some whirring and other low frequency artifacts.

• Like 1