IGNORED

Pokeymax v2

foft

12 hours ago, Kyle22 said:

When I see a multi-chip tracker, I will order one (or two).

I am awaiting that day, but nobody is going to write it AFAIK. If this will not happen, PokeyMAX project will be abandoned as a nice hardware without software.... :(

95% of sales is Stereo (Auto, Covox). 3% is Quad (Auto, Covox), 2% is for Quad Pokey+SID or +PSG

I am ready to manufacture all-in-one PokeyMAX v3 with many nice additions, like AUDIO IN from SIO monitoring etc. But I will not risk if there is no software. So far only some players use SID or PSG features.

Gravity Worms game will have SID music.

GW box front render.png

• Like 4

sometimes even if you would provide a tracker for it, some people will tell you its the wrong one

software won't be there - but i would rather keep on trying

plus, even with tracker available someone needs to write some music for it, and this didn't happend either

bottom line - don't get discouraged by the lack of intrest in GP

• Like 2

Going back to the issues with TK-II software and PokeyMax compatibility, Is there a version of the original TK-II software that works with the PokeyMax at all?, I ask as having purchased a PokeyMax and fitted this to an 800, I didn't want to take this out to try it in something else I've been building, which would currently rely on the PokeyMax for Stereo and a TK-II for keyboard input, there being no provision for the original keyboard circuitry. 

I'm happy to program PokeyMax if it comes to it, which of course will mean re-opening the 800 for testing rather than buying another PokeyMax and having to find another home for it (that's not terribly hard I guess)

Funny that I'd never thought to check this before I started, assuming it was a direct replacement. Oh silly me!

I guess it can remain Mono but that’s not the point of what I started..

Edited by Simply_Graham
update

Hi Foft

The core I believe is a basic Stereo core with Stereo control via U1MB or a manual switch. But I'll check my email's and update.

I'll dig it out of my 800 and done with (A great choice due to space on these ), and try in either the 1088 XEL or XLD I have, I expect it to play up as I think both Mytek and McRorie have had issues, but I don't know if that's because I've upgraded to Mytek's latest code for the TK-II but I do one of the older versions, I'm sure Mytek would provide some assistance.

And Yes I do have a USB blaster, so would only need the POF file to load up alternative PokeyMax cores to test.

What do you require to be able to test for yourself, I maybe able to help, and of course post is a little easier than from the USA.

Mind you email and a little time spent flashing PokeyMax and/or a PIC should be quick and easy to test. I have a number of additional PIC’s that make things easier as well.

I do have a vested interest in getting this to work for one of my projects, so I'm willing to help, and I can dedicate some time to it.

Update :

Checked emails with Jurek.. confirmed PokeyMax V2  Basic Stereo and external control,  so this isn't the latest V3

Edited by Simply_Graham
Update

I think best will be to have player on Atari. And Music Tracker (like RMT) on PC. I know author of Deflemask will write to Him to support QuadPokey. Also will send You money for my QuadPokeys+Covox. What about QuadPokey+similar/almost same or very close soundchip like AMY? Atari65XEM with AMY chip. There is lot of documentation even TAPE FROM ATARI MAINFRAME. Also 

http://www.atarimuseum.com/computers/8BITS/XL/ASG/Chips/AMY/index.html

It will be EPIC to have real Atari 65XEM!!! 

Will send You my quad tunes too. Composing mine first 16channel tune!!!

Or QuadPokey+Covox+FM(Atari used YM2151 in their Arcade Machines) 

https://github.com/jotego/jt51

As Pokey itself is amazing PSG I personally think better than YM in my 1040STFM. SID is very good feature. But I own HardSID PCI and C64 with 3SID upgrade for SID tunes. Also its like putting Pokey into C64. But what about keel Atari traditional Arcade soundchips QuadPokey/Amy/YM2151/Covox?? Also Lotharek is working on YM2151soundcard cartridge so there will be tracker in future.

• Like 2

Ok, so Amy is wanted. Well I did do some analysis on that a while back...

Tell you what, I’ll try to do this if we get 100 orders for the v3 with larger 10m16 FPGA. Then we should be able to fit quad pokey, dual sid, dual psg, covox/sample and ... Amy:)

• Like 8

4 hours ago, foft said:

Tell you what, I’ll try to do this if we get 100 orders for the v3 with larger 10m16 FPGA. Then we should be able to fit quad pokey, dual sid, dual psg, covox/sample and ... Amy:)

... and then they want Paula and Jerry, MP3, AC3, Dolby Digital, THX, dts, The London Philharmonic Orchestra in a chip, Alan Parsons soundstudio on a chip and whatnot...  ;-)  (And your A8 no longer sounds like an A8.)

• Haha 1

ALL - I asked my friend author of multiple soundchips (Genesis/Megadrive, C64, Gameboy, Sega Arcade, NEC 6502 PC Engine, Nintendo NES) DEFLEMASK TRACKER https://deflemask.com/ to incorporate/implement QUADPOKEY+COVOX in next versions. He agreed and told me after NeoGeo soundchip He plan to include POKEY too!!! So we will have modern 16channelPOKEY+4channelCOVOX tracker for PC,MAC,ANDROID!!! So in half or 3/4 year of so. So there will be need code RMT player like on ATARI side.

@Foft 

I will buy 4x QuadPokey+AMY and 4x QuadPokey+YM2151.

@xxl

We made with YOGI gerber for OPL3 soundcard. I have at home 10x OPL3+YAC512 DACs. So I will make PCBs soon and ask my friend from ATARI.SK to help me with sodering! Also Lotharek want make His own Melody FM Sound Cartridge and is almost finished!!! So in very near future there will be two FM soundcards/cartridges. I even build MSDOS 500MHz PC with OPL3 SoundBlaster16 soundcard and Adlibtracker2 only for that!!! 

So PokeyMAX v3amy and PokeyMAX v3fm should be AMY and YM2151. YM2151 sounds very similar to OPL3 and eats less in FPGA and its already available as opencore also is more better for 6502 cpu(see Commander X16 project)... Full potential of OPL3 (all operators, more complex instruments) You need 400MHZ Pentium. My friend SubZ3ro from city I had college made Adlibtracker2. OPL3 eats CPU. And ATARI used 2151 in their ARCADE SYSTEM1 for real. So why CURT wanted use it in 7800XM upgrade! AMY will be like dream. There are like 4 prototypes of Atari 65XEM in museums. It sounds beautifully little bit like APPLE 2GS ENSONIQ synth soundchip. 

Here is how YM2151 sounds:

AMY will sounds more little bit like Apple2GS Ensoniq 5503DOC soundchip:

IMAGINE such soft sounds + beautiful raw POKEY PSG sounds it will be amazing soundsystem!!! Like on Arcade Machines!

Edited by Matej
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Matej said:

We made with YOGI gerber for OPL3 soundcard.

37 minutes ago, Matej said:

Also Lotharek want make His own Melody FM Sound Cartridge and is almost finished!!!

but OPL3 cartridges have been available on Atari for a long time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mytek said:

What ever happened to that project, or for that matter, what happened to Yogi @Van ? Seems like he along with that project dropped off the face of the Earth.

He doesnt reply my emails. I dont know. Anyways I will finish small series of OPL3 cart original by T0ri from AtariArea our upgraded version by Yogi. 

@xxl - We just modified/upgraded T0ri's YMari Cart. 

http://raven1.magix.net/yamari/yamari.html

Edited by Matej

V3 ideas (quadpokey+ym2151, quadpokey+amy, quadpokey+saa1099)

Deflemask Tracker ---> Sega Arcade got YM2151 so QuadPokey+YM2151 

https://deflemask.com/

We will need ym2151 player on Atari side.

Also another nice soundchip is Philips SAA1099 from SamCoupé computer (Its like 2x AY or YM from ST)

https://github.com/sorgelig/SAMCoupe_MIST

https://github.com/stripwax/SAASound

Here is SAA1099 tracker:

https://saa1099tracker.borik.net/

So we need just SAA1099 player on side of Atari.

How SAA1099 sounds:

How YM2151 + SEGA PCM(COVOX) sounds:

Edited by Matej

On 10/4/2020 at 3:00 AM, foft said:

If this is a pre pre-order, I am down for at least one V3 :)