IGNORED

Pokeymax v2

foft

Just to clarify: Is Pokeymax v2 a now finished product (=mature) and ready to run as a replacement for the 8 bit Atari's?

As mentioned at the beginning of this thread I'd be highly interested in at least 5 (Stereo, maybe + Covox - 2x for Atari 800, 3x as a spare for XL/XE). Has anyone already successfully installed it into an A800?

A quick summary of the versions! Essentially there are only 3 FPGAs currently shipping. 02,04 and 08. Then there are a selection of cores (Retronics sells them by core) which can fit on any FPGA big enough, though technically as long as the FPGA has enough space it can fit any core. 

FGPAs Logic elements Block ram Usable flash Cost FPGA only (digikey) USD        
10M02 2304 12  N* 7.11            
10M04 4032 21  Y 9.63            
10M08 8064 42  Y 11.16            
10M16 15840 61  Y 27.36            
*Flash controller takes 50% of space! Settings are volatile without flash              

Core code Name         Pokeys        PSGs    SIDs   Covox Sample U1MB switch line GTIA in CS1 disabled LE (Approx)
MO Mono 1 0 0 0 N Y N 1500
SA Stereo 2 0 0 0 N Y N 2000
SU Stereo U1MB 2 0 0 0 Y Y N 2000
SX Stereo XEL 2 0 0 0 N Y Y 2000
SC Stereo Covox 2 0 0 1 N Y N 2300
QA Quad 4 0 0 0  0  N Y N 3500
QC Quad covox 4 0 0 1 N N N 3600
QM Quad sample 4 0 0 1 N N N 4600
QS Quad sid 4 0 2 0 N N N 6600
QP Quad psg 4 2 0 1 N N N 5500
HK Private dev! 4 2 2 1 N N N 8000

Edited by foft

In terms of maturity and state:

Pokey, covox, sid and psg all work well. Sample is still in dev.

A fair number of v2 boards have been installed.

Known issues:

• AKI and TKI not compatible with K0-K5 scanning order/frequency  - we hope to address this in firmware
  • Turbo tape issue - addressed in upcoming firmware 

---

PSG and SID will have further enhancements since I have bought some real AY3/YM2149,8580,6581 chips and build a test board.

PSG released:

• single log volume curve and linear volume curve option
  • 16/32 step envelope
  • Approximate 1,2 or 1.7 MHz clock

PSG current dev:

• 4 volume curve options in flash, plan to offer AY3 and YM2149 curves.

SID released:

• Core waveforms, linear state variable filter.
  • Approximate 1MHz clock

SID dev:

• Mixed waveforms in flash (6581 and 8580)
  • State variable filter in flash (6581 and 8580)
  • Q in flash (6581 & 8580)
  • 6581 non-linear distortion

Sample dev (not released):

• 4 dma based voices, using block ram as data.
  • 4-bit, 8-bit or 4-bit ima adpcm (effective 12-bit) samples.
  • interrupt after loading sample address/length (like Paula).

---

v3 board enhancements (unreleased, prototypes being made):

• More io pins
    • gtia in on all cores
    • core with all sound chips to be offered
  • sio audio mixing
  • pbi audio mixing
  • oscillator, to allow precise sid and psg clocks

Edited by foft
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, candle said:

if i may..

psg clock should be either 1.7, 2 or 1mhz - this will address music from platforms as zx spectrum, atari st, oric, and amstrad

Yes that is what I have - ish. The trouble with v2 is there is phi2 and the internal oscillator. Phi2 is too slow to drive the pll. I use the internal oscillator, but the spec is like 50-115MHz, in practice they all seem to be about the same around 87MHz but...

you could  use shift register with multiple taps and exclusive or operator to get it multiplied by 4 - i used this approach for master clock of i2s codec - i don't know if it will be up to the specs for PLL though

and as always, there are external PLL chips capable of handling clocks of 1mhz, and even slower

13 hours ago, Kyle22 said:

Is there any space left in Incognito for this?

There is not, but you're the second person who would appear to like it if there was. I can release 1KB of space in the Incognito firmware by getting rid of the stock character set at $E000. That copy of the character set was requested so that the Turbo Freezer works properly when called from inside the setup menu, but studies show that I'm probably the only person who even connected Turbo Freezer to an Incognito 800, and I have no need to debug the firmware with it.

That would create a plugin buffer for us, but would still leave us short of a hundred bytes or so to implement the various plugin hooks. The U1MB firmware has 2K more ROM space than the Incognito owing to the fact the Self Test ROM may be leveraged while the configuration is unlocked on the U1MB, while on the Incognito this doesn't work.

I will look into it when I get a chance, however, since in the there's no doubt that these facilities will be required in the future.

• Like 1