IGNORED

Pokeymax v2

foft

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m having trouble getting my PokeyMAX to work in an 800 with Incognito. Install is simple and it works in mono but when I connect A4 to enable stereo it acts really strange. It boots up and it’s as if the L key is pressed. It goes into the Incognito loader, but keys do not respond.

I actually had a SimpleStereo installed and that worked fine. It was a little difficult to fit in so I wanted the smaller form factor of the PokeyMAX.

Does anyone here have one installed in an 800 with Incognito?

1 hour ago, Duddie said:

Simplestereo doesn't have A7 connected. I am pretty sure that wiring is wrong. Such behavior was observed by other customers. Fixing wiring always help. Please double check everything. It is not a problem with pokeymax itself.

It's always a marvel that things work when they are connected correctly. I did not have A7 connected. Duh!

Thank you for your patience. 

• Like 2

On 12/3/2020 at 9:24 PM, Mathy said:

Hello Duddie

Will PokeyMax with Quad Pokey, Stereo 8 bit Covox and (Stereo) AMY be available after this batch?  If not, when do you expect it to be available?

Sincerely

Mathy

Duddie just sent me a prototype of the board, which I have yet to receive. We may need to make changes and do another prototype before the final run, or this might be perfect. Fingers crossed!

The new board provides:

i) More io, so no mod is needed for using A4-A7, gtia in and ultimate 1MB at once etc

ii) Analog mixing of sio in

iii) Firmer output stage using op-amps

iv) 4 layer board to allow better ground/power plane.

These cores are ready and working well, though I plan to iterate improvements:

Pokey

SID

PSG

Covox - 4 channel 8-bit

Sample covox extension - internal ram dma, 4 channel 4-bit, 8-bit or 4-bit IMA ADPCM (~12-bit quality in 4-bits of data)

These can all be used together on the PokeyMax v2 10M08 hardware, though a small mod and a board reprogram is required to use them all at once.

For SID I'm struggling for space to fit some of the more advanced 6581 filter non-linearities in the existing hardware. Though the main filter differences are implemented already.

I might have a go at developing an AMY core next year, though I have a few other projects too! For example I'd like to back port some of the above to the EclaireXL. 

If I do AMY i think will require the largest FPGA option 10M16 I think. So if you want to be future proof go for a v3 with 10M16. Really though to make this worthwhile I should work with a developer to write software at the same time. 6502 sound coders: Is there any interest in that?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm testing the v3 prototype and its working. I should make a few improvements here and there but so far so good.

We have a lot more IO on this one.

So we have:

• A4-A7 connected
  • GTIA in
  • 6 spare!

I'm thinking about these 6 spare pins...

Perhaps PS2 keyboard, USB keyboard, digital audio out? Any other ideas?

Edited by foft
  • Like 1

can be used as a sampler? e.g. source from analog SIO IN or e.g. I would like to sample the audio signal from POKEY?

---

of course the keyboard and if it works like in eclaire it would be great

Edited by xxl