IGNORED

Pokeymax v2

foft

Worth putting on the latest, though I didn't see anything that'd fix fujinet in the changes: http://www.64kib.com/pokeymax_files/1.25_20210924/v2/build_10M08_quad_sid/output_files/core.bin

Can use the (U)update core.

Note that after a reboot you may then need to use pokey cfg again to unmute some channels (see thread above).

Though I suspect the issue is more likely the diode thing. Better to check with a scope than multimeter, since its capturing the toggling lows/highs rather than a static level.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

@foft I am happy that i could buy a PokeyMaxV2 last week from an other ABBUC User.

The Firmware is "113M08QP" I would like to do two things and don't know if this is possible:

1. Downgrade the Core-Model to Stereo with Covox "SC"

2. Update the Firmware to 1.25

Is this possible in one step by using the core.bin with pokeycfg_1_3 i found here:

http://www.64kib.com/pokeymax_files/1.25_20210924/v2/build_10M08_stereo_covox_sample_auto/output_files/

• 2 weeks later...

My PokeyMax (113M08QP) that i could buy some days ago makes only strange sounds. The sound is the same on the original DIN AV Port as on the Pokeymax Audio-Out. Keyboard function is ok and the Chip is detected with the Pokeymax detect program. Also the config tool detects the Pokeymax right.

I think it's a early model V2 not the later V2b.

You can hear the sound here:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AubfF7Hbqd6zkdJsZYGs7r5iCrg1BA?e=rWFrSl

and here:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AubfF7Hbqd6zkdJrHHy9jLoN-5q9DA?e=6560sL

Also i can't save the changes in the configtool an there is also no possibility to update the firmware. Although it is an M08 chip, which should be big enough.

Does anybody have an idea?

PokeyM3.jpg

PokeyM1.jpg

PokeyM2.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

Ok, two things things:

i) Flash support for 08 was introduced in 1.14

ii) 1.13-1.15 have a dac bug

Upgrading the core will fix both, though needs a usb blaster to do so.

We thought we’d intercepted all the troublesome cores with the broken dac, I guess this one slipped through the net.

Mark

... one last question ( i hope it's the last - sorry if not ? )

If i like to update my PokeyMax 123M04SC (Stereo with Covox) to Firmware 1.25 - what is the right file?

build_10M04_stereo_covox_auto/
or
build_10M04_stereo_covox_no_right_detect/    

What is the different?

I post here because the thing I noticed affects both PokeyMax 2 and 3 (with sid option).

I disabled sid for testing purposes but I can still hear sid output when I play a tune.

You can test it with the following basic code:

10 POKE 53772, 63: REM SET POKEYMAX INTO CONFIGMODE
20 POKE 53783, 0: DISABLE ALL CHIPS (SID, POKEY, PSG ETC)
30 POKE 53848,15: REM SET VOLUME ALL SID VOICES TO MAX
40 POKE 53829,25: REM SET ATTACK 1 (HIGH NIBBLE) AND DECAY 9 (LOW NIBBLE) VOICE 1
50 POKE 53830,68: REM SET SUSTAIN 4 (HIGH NIBBLE) AND DECAY 4 (LOW NIBBLE) VOICE 1
60 POKE 53825,29: REM SET FREQUENCY VOICE 1 HIGH BYTE
70 POKE 53824,69: REM SET FREQUENCY VOICE 1 LOW BYTE
80 POKE 53828,17: REM SET WAVEFORM VOICE 1 TO TRIANGLE

Is this a bug in PokeyMax? Core is: 125M16HK

Edited by patjomki

1.26 is released.

* Cut 6581 bias (distortion on Basil!)
* Synchronous clock enable length fixed
* Disabled chips are no longer writable!

Dev guide also updated (corrections provided by @patjomki - thanks): http://www.64kib.com/pokeymax_files/pokeymax_dev_126.pdf
Edited by foft
edit: dev guide added
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2022 at 4:51 PM, foft said:
1.26 is released.

* Cut 6581 bias (distortion on Basil!)
* Synchronous clock enable length fixed
* Disabled chips are no longer writable!

Dev guide also updated (corrections provided by @patjomki - thanks): http://www.64kib.com/pokeymax_files/pokeymax_dev_126.pdf

---read previous posts - answered own question---

Edited by Frankie

39 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Anyone on this thread successful in getting a PokeyMax to work in a 576NUC? When I installed it the keyboard didn't work. All the characters were swapped around. 

Although originally it was intended to be possible, hence the inclusion of header J8 on the NUC that provided extra signals for a PokeyMax, there were compatibility issues that at least initially blocked this approach. I'm pretty sure the swapped character problem was resolved through core changes, but I've never had it confirmed if 100% compatibility was achieved. Since I personally do not have one of these devices to test with, I cannot confirm or deny whether the latest PokeyMax device is now working properly in a 576NUC+.

2 hours ago, mytek said:

Although originally it was intended to be possible, hence the inclusion of header J8 on the NUC that provided extra signals for a PokeyMax, there were compatibility issues that at least initially blocked this approach. I'm pretty sure the swapped character problem was resolved through core changes, but I've never had it confirmed if 100% compatibility was achieved. Since I personally do not have one of these devices to test with, I cannot confirm or deny whether the latest PokeyMax device is now working properly in a 576NUC+.

If I understand correctly, the version I have 111 M02SC is not user upgradable so I cannot test the latest core either. 

There are... and most people could just buy a usb blaster for next to nothing, so long as the update tool is painless it's hard to mess up. Probably faster and cheaper to do just that. Unless there is someone local to the folks, you still pay shipping to and from the person doing the updates. It's crazy that stuff ships from all over the world to the US for next to nothing, but shipping within the US or out from the US is so dear.

Yep pretty darn cheap.

image.thumb.png.9bdac0b77cec0d6e23e3fa562ef5707e.png

LINK

I think the biggest issue I had when I bought one of these way back when, was how friggin big the Altera program was for Wndows - took a bit time to do the install. And it wasn't exactly intuitive to use. But I remember muddling through it and successfully updating some Sophia boards.

On 3/31/2022 at 7:01 PM, Frankie said:

The problem isn't having the hardware, it's that there are no updates to the earlier M02 Pokeymax.

Precisely. I went and purchased a Blaster, only to be disappointed that there were no M02 update files available.