IGNORED

Pokeymax v2

foft

6 hours ago, candle said:

Mark, i've already asked Electron about that many times and you know what was the answer

it's not me to decide, sorry

i only did vbxe2 core manager code, and hdl for vbxe is Electron's IP

Fair enough. I thought perhaps he had mellowed, it’s several years later.

Perhaps we should work together on a new video upgrade that we can use on both?

• Like 6

Flasher software update:

http://www.64kib.com/pokeymax_files/pokeycfg_1_1.xex

1.1 changes:

i) Clear sector and page when disabling write protect: This caused flash corruption if update core then store config run without a reboot in-between.

ii) Added verify mode, to check flash contents vs the core on disk

• Like 2

On 1/14/2021 at 3:37 PM, Mathy said:

Hello mi1ez

And wouldn't it be nice if we could buy an off the shelf DVI2HDMI convertor that would fit inside the Atari.

Sincerely

Mathy

It'd be even greater if you didn't even need the extra cost/latency/power usage of such a thing!  Right?  :)

10 hours ago, Dinadan67 said:

Does anyone used the flasher with success? i can only set some settings (which are not changed permamently) but see no option to flash the "core.bin" file.

There is not enough room on the 10M02 FPGA variant for the flash controller. So, the settings can only be changed until reboot.

If you want to change the settings then you will need run an xex on boot prior to running the software you want.

29 minutes ago, Dinadan67 said:

Does that mean flashing the firmware of 10M02 is not possible? How do i determine the FPGA-Variant of my Pokeymax?

There is a version shown in the top line of the config tool. Also a sticker on bottom but you'd need to remove it to see that.

Flashing 10M02 needs the use of a USB blaster, which can be bought fairly cheaper then building a special cable.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, marcing said:

Is possible to upgrade/change core for 110M08QA with this tool?

If yes, how to proceed? 

Yes. Run the tool and put in D4: the core.bin file for the XXXM08QA. I suggest using Respeqt over SIO2PC.

Edit: Correction. No, 1.10 is too old. Flash support was added to the core in 1.14 (10M08) and 1.15 (10M04). Do you have a USB blaster?

The cores are here:

http://www.64kib.com/pokeymax_files/1.22_20210113/v2/

Firstly make sure to match 04/08 - this is the type of FPGA you have.

Then match the two letter version code. NB this is the one you have a licence from Retronics for. You can downgrade for free, but to upgrade you will need to pay the difference to @Duddie

The versions are:

• stereo_covox_auto: SC
    • EXT1:A4, EXT2: A7, EXT3: GTIA AUDIO
  • stereo_covox_sample_auto: SC *
  • stereo_u1mb_auto: SU
    • EXT1: A4, EXT2: SWITCH, EXT3: GTIA AUDIO
  • quad_auto: QA
    • EXT1: A4, EXT2: A5, EXT3: GTIA AUDIO
  • quad_covox_auto: QC
    • EXT1: A4, EXT2: A5, EXT3: A7
  • quad_covox_sample_auto: QC *
  • quad_psg_covox_sample: QP
  • quad_sid: QS
    • EXT1: A4, EXT2: A5, EXT3: A6
  • fullv2: HK **
    • EXT1: A4, EXT2: A5, EXT2: A6, CS1 (cut pin): A7  

*08 version has room for sample player + covox, 04 only covox.

**developers only. Users should get v3 to use all chips, which is now available for pre-order here 

Edited by foft
Correction about version

6 hours ago, foft said:

Edit: Correction. No, 1.10 is too old. Flash support was added to the core in 1.14 (10M08) and 1.15 (10M04). Do you have a USB blaster?

Yes, I have. STANDARD 10pin. 

6 hours ago, foft said:

Then match the two letter version code. NB this is the one you have a licence from Retronics for. You can downgrade for free, but to upgrade you will need to pay the difference to @Duddie

The versions are:

• stereo_covox_sample_auto: SC *

**developers only. Users should get v3 to use all chips, which is now available for pre-order here 

I'm interested in change core to SC* then - I'll contact Duddie for payment.

I already preordered v3 :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2020 at 9:50 PM, andymanone said:

After receiving my PokeyMax yesterday, I faced to an issue, by using it in one of my 600XL.

After installing the PokeyMax, the 600XL lacks while booting up from different Sources (SIO2SD, SIO2PC, real 1050/XF551).

Sometimes it boots a short sequence and stops and go on booting and stops and so on...(finally Error 138)

Thanks to "tf_hh" and "Jurek", for the proper hint: 
The reason for it are two filter capacitors (C89/C90) connected to SIO Data_IN / Data_OUT (see attached pictures)
After removing both caps, the 600XL boots up perfectly with the PokeyMax ?!

I´ve had this issue two times now - and removing the caps won´t help. I remove them by default to enable Pokey-divisor 0...2 and prevent the user from having issues with longer SIO chains and Speedy 1050 drives or other.

So I was digging a little bit deeper and found the real culprit. The voltage for a "low" (0) is too high. With some SIO devices and PokeyMAX there´s 0.85 or higher the lowest voltage for "low". The old genuine POKEY doesn´t have a problem with it, but PokeyMAX doesn´t recognize it as a "low".

Because this problem only was on the 600XL found so far, I compared the circuits and... all XL/XE computers have 100R limiting resistors in line with Data_in and Data_Out, but the 600XL not. So I install them and... PokeyMAX works fine in three different 600XL, with or without the capacitors mentioned above.

Here´s a good way to install them:

600XL_Install_100Rs_1.thumb.jpg.bb02e7353596e2c0cc1bffbe9552e052.jpg

Use a dremel or similar tool and cut the traces between SIO jack pin 3 and 5 and their capacitors.

600XL_Install_100Rs_2.thumb.jpg.8262b3932430c6338956ce95f6999874.jpg

Install to resistors (1206 case) 100R between SIO jack and pad for the caps. Done.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

why not adjust the pokeymax core /or it's support board if not possible/ to emulate a real pokey in that way so as not to require hacking hardware... these pokey max more than likely will end up in arcade cabinets as well and the issue might rear it's ugly head... many of those guys do no want alterations to the circuits if at all.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

why not adjust the pokeymax core /or it's support board if not possible/ to emulate a real pokey in that way so as not to require hacking hardware... these pokey max more than likely will end up in arcade cabinets as well and the issue might rear it's ugly head... many of those guys do no want alterations to the circuits if at all.

0.85v is out of spec for pokey too according to its data sheet. This is probably an SIO device design issue.

Just wanted to add. Thanks Jurgen for the fix and detailed info on how to implement.

i was thinking about it and is the 0.8v due to a diode drop from devices simulating open drain? I guess another option would be to change that diode for a schottky?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, foft said:

0.85v is out of spec for pokey too according to its data sheet. This is probably an SIO device design issue.

Yes. They use silicium standard diodes like 1N4148 mostly. But most of the ready-to-buy SIO2SD/SDrive Maxx etc. devices are not easily to open and/or change parts, so talking about an Atari 600XL this fix is easier ?

• 2 weeks later...
I uploaded 1.23 to my website.

Changes:
  Pokey:
     Use schmit trigger input on SID and BCLK
     Additional synchronizers on sio clock in and sio input data
     Fix misalignment with enable signal issue on synchronous input
  v3:
     Add spdif output
     Add ps2 keyboard input (iso keyboard only for now)
     Use real clock oscillator
  config:
     Fix bug in init of pal/ntsc mode
     Default to pal mode
     Flash switched to wrapping mode (smaller)
  • Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I uploaded 1.25 to my website.

Changes(1.24):
* Timing sdc constraint corrections
* Flash controller timing improvements
* Backported sid improvements from sidmax
   - Envelope timing matches 100%
   - Zero wave
* Mix some sio rxd noise into audio

Changes(1.25):
* Two tone timing fix recently discussed on atariage (suppress pulse on two reset cycle)
* Add per audio channel disable flag (user request)

Also pokeycfg 1.3 is available to match.
  • Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 12:05 AM, Duddie said:

JTAG connector on PokeyMAX is non-standard: USB Blaster has 10 pins connector, while PokeyMAX has 6 pins. You need a special adapter, which cannot be purchased anywhere. You need to make it by yourself.

Where can I find instructions/ schematics for making this adapter?

5 hours ago, foft said:
I uploaded 1.25 to my website.

What is your web address, please?