IGNORED

HSC16 Round 15: Crownland + Conquest of the Crown

CROWNLAND

image.png.34fe59e8e2da7bcd06ddb760791bab4d.png

The land of Crowns? Possibly... ok not played it more than once just to see it so here we go. I think it's PAL only and it says 130XE so some of you may have to use emulation. If anyone has any links or info on the game please post. 

Fandal XEX

I'm interested in this one as my current abbuc game "Block On Legs: First Steps" is a horizontal scrolling platformer so your comments will be of interest to me ;)

Bonus game

CONQUEST OF THE CROWN

image.gif.243a6df54fda6f7f02be5e8e56f5c818.gif

Me neither! Looks interesting

Atarimania COM

Round ends Sunday 8th September 10am UK time

Updated: Season 16 Current Standings

PLAY ATARI

Well, I finished Crownland on the first go:  122,900!  I have a screenshot of the final screen, but I won't post it so others can see it when they finish it. 

This game gets a mixed review from me:

Pros:  

1.  Excellent scrolling!

2.  Simple controls (right, left and jump.) Easy peasy.

3.  Soundtrack is fantastic.

Cons:

1.  Too short, especially for the HSC.

2.  Too easy.

3.  Very easy to point scum.  There are so many extra lives, you can build them up and keep playing the level over and over.

Yes, it's a great game!  Really shows off what the Atari 8-bit is capable of.  Just not a great fit for the HSC, IMO.

Crownland 122900.png

• Like 2

well done deteacher :thumbsup: - that's a shame, if they made all the effort to do a game and made it so easy... there are not many "Crown" games so let's see how the bonus game fares and we can wrap this round up next weekend if everyone is happy ;)

Found this ataraige Crownload thread:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/185205-crownland-for-ntsc/

Edited by therealbountybob

Conquest of the Crown:  229,000!  Made it to level 2.

I may go back and play Crownland again, only because I must have missed a bonus level in the "coast" stage.  I got one in the Jungle stage, but I don't know how I triggered it.

As for another game, I looked for anything "crown" "king" "kingdom" related, but didn't find much.  I thought of "King Tut's Tomb" which is a decent port of Tutankham, but it's really slow.  

Conquest 229000.png

• Like 2

On 8/25/2019 at 11:24 PM, Deteacher said:

Small improvement on COTC:  262,500!

At first, I thought this game was kind of a yawner...but the challenge level is pretty high.  I find myself coming back for "just one more game."

COTC 262500.png

Played both games, not sure I like Crownland much, though I did like Fred when we played that so need to compare the two.  Conquest looks interesting, sort of Jet Set Willy ish?!! I thought I would like it a lot but again it seems a bit woolly, made the mistake of playing with music i.e. no sound effects so next session hopefully that will make it more immersive. Seem to be able to collect things on the ground a sword perhaps I could then chop the baddies. Need to figure out what's what

Crowland 31,600 not very far!

CotC: 57,500

Is everyone is happy we can finish this round on Sunday that's the 32nd so that's the 1st of September possibly at 10am UK time (we can allow late scores for the 2nd week.

I'll start the next poll on Thursday :)

On 8/25/2019 at 3:05 PM, Deteacher said:

Well, I finished Crownland on the first go:  122,900!  I have a screenshot of the final screen, but I won't post it so others can see it when they finish it. 

With or without secret level(s)? (spoiler here: http://www.retronagazie.eu/gramy-na-gazie-crownland-video-recenzja-przejscie-gry-ciekawostki/

I propose to play for crownland prevision - for me this is better version, but... Shorter.

1 hour ago, Sikor said:

With or without secret level(s)? (spoiler here: http://www.retronagazie.eu/gramy-na-gazie-crownland-video-recenzja-przejscie-gry-ciekawostki/

I propose to play for crownland prevision - for me this is better version, but... Shorter.

I stumbled on the bonus level in the Jungle stage...but not in the Coast stage.  I might go back and play it again and try to find it.

10 hours ago, carlsson said:

Hopefully I'll have a minute or two later in the week or at least on Saturday evening so I can get to play one of the games I proposed.

No problem we can run until later in the week if needed :)

Had another go, Crownland still on 2nd part of first level 33,250

CotC got the gun and made some progress, liking this one more 114,500

Then played my own game (obviously I am biased) but I think it's better than these gameplay wise at least so fingers crossed can get the bug fixed version out tomorrow - Hey RT any chance of that manual :D ??

Ok finished Crownland. I actually found the Castle part quite tricky and it took me a while to beat it, but as Deteacher said, there are enough bonus lives to pretty much allow you to play indefinitely.

Anyway good game.

For what it's worth my score was 155k, but this was inflated cos I played the Castle section over and over until I beat it.

• Like 1

Crownland - 43700 pts, reached level 2-1

Conquest of the Crown - 147500 pts (seems I got just as far as Sikor did)

Since I'm a mediocre player of platform games, I didn't find Crownland that easy, though I'll admit that out of the modern platformers I've tried, I believe I prefer Malaika Prehistoric Quest on the MSX. I haven't played Sam's Journey or some of the other C64 and Plus/4 based platformers to compare.

Conquest of the Crown was strange, I thought it was one screen at a time and you had to collect all the jewels to continue. Since those are randomly placed and sometimes unreachable, it would make an unfair game until I realized it rather is a flip screen platform game where you keep moving to the right. You can also collect a fair amount of points by going back and forth the screens once you have a weapon and kill the enemies for 3000 pts each, though of course you want to go as far as possible before time and energy runs out.

crownland-43700.thumb.jpg.1bc9592d9db77259fd4a1fabb89a030e.jpg

conquest-of-the-crown-147500.thumb.jpg.a1ea30e97c59ca8bb7c6137ff29f35a2.jpg

I persevered with Crownland and got through to the Castle, the graphics are much clearer on the 2nd and 3rd "stages" so that helps, one thing I didn't like was the gaps between adjoining platforms being obscured by the graphics, the movement seemed initially sluggish but is fine once you get into it. Not sure about the line between jumping onto vs into a baddie to kill them. There are some dead ends and you can only scroll onwards but you learn them.

On the Castle stage I had about 20+ goes and never completed the stage but was actually gaining men, eventually I retired here. Might have been near the end of the stage so will have another session. Still got mixed feelings about the game.

I liked the feature that some of the moving platforms had that additional scroll once you were on them, my game scrolls L and R so not sure if I can do something like that without hard coding the platforms positions etc.

I'll start the poll next!

CL.jpg

CL2.jpg

CL3.jpg

Crownland 124K.jpg

• Like 1

@Deteacher does Conquest of the Crown have an "adventure" to solve on each level or is it just a case of getting to the end screen from L to R?

Not sure what to do about the scoring for this round but here are the first tables!

first tables

Crownland

1st   Deteacher                  122,900  12pts *

1st   McKong                     140,000  12pts *
  3rd   therealbountybob           124,250  10pts
  4th   carlsson                    43,700  9pts

5th   Sikor                       32,750  8pts
  6th   jblenkle                    21,850  7pts

Conquest of the Crown
  1st   Deteacher                  314,000     4pts
  2nd   carlsson                   147,500     3pts
  3rd   Sikor                      139,000     2pts
  4th   therealbountybob           114,500     1
pt

Round 16 Poll OPEN:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, McKong said:

Conquest of the Crown 52500. I was going along ok until he got a sword from somewhere and then I couldn't jump any more!

Must have been two heavy for the guy :)

I bowed down before the red guy asuming he was knighting me but perhaps he was attacking me - deteacher we need your write up ;)

I got a gun later on which spoiled the fun a bit!

@TRBB:  COTC has levels to beat.  The object is to find the crown, and get to the door.  The door automatically opens up when you grab the crown.

I can tell you on Level 2, you go to the right to find the crown, then have to double back to the left to find the door (I haven't made it to the door yet.)  I feel I have to get through level 1 without losing a life in order to have enough lives to get through level 2.  It's hard!