IGNORED

An Atari in Magnum PI ?

Marsupilami

Hi,

I was watching some old episodes of "Magnum PI" (i know i know, i'm not very proud of it ?) and it seem there is an Atari 400 in one episode (Season 4 (1983–84), episode 3, "Smaller Than Life", ~00:26).

The keybord is strange but it definitely belongs to an Atari 400/800. :)

https://youtu.be/bzDblp4gvCc

Best regards,
Marsup.

Edited by Marsupilami
  • Like 6

There was at least one other Magnum P.I. episode with that 400 in it. I saw it about a year ago. It's an episode where Magnum's short friend that is the nightclub manager is playing it with a kid they are watching or visiting or something like that.

Guys, guys...Venture outside and enjoy the sunshine :)

You have taken your love of all things Atari to the wrong level :)

Turn the talking box off, visit the outside, your Atari will be there when you get back :)

Note if its not plain enough by the smilies, this is all in jest...Don't get offended :)

And yes, I wanted that lovely red Ferrari when I was younger... 

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

So, I was trying to find pictures of the one I had before I sold it. I actually took apart the entire 400 to clean it up and check for any issues before selling and had pictures saved off somewhere.

Anyhow, here is info the keyboard that you see in the two Magnum PI episodes (or maybe the same episode). one with Magnum and the other with Rick and the kid. Same Atari 400 with same gawd awful keyboard.

https://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/issue34/133_1_NEWS_PRODUCTS_KEYBOARD_FOR_THE_ATARI_400.php

It's a horrible design the way you just stick it on the top of the unit with double sided tape, but the keys were excellent.

• Like 2

We at Maplin did a 400 real keyboard kit, while it worked and the keys were not too bad (very cheap keys) it was UGLY as sin. As much as I wasn't a huge fan of the 400 and the membrane KB, it just turned made it look cheap...

I seem to remember it stuck on top of the old KB with double sided tape pads...Classy...

Hello Paul

34 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

The 800 is the epitome of sex appeal...You don't own an 800, it owns you!

You clearly haven't seen the new Higgins.  So can we please get back on topic, which is Ms. Higgins.  ???

Sincerely

Mathy

Edited by Mathy

15 hours ago, Mathy said:

Hello Paul

You clearly haven't seen the new Higgins.  So can we please get back on topic, which is Ms. Higgins.  ???

Sincerely

Mathy

I have decided I fancy this Higgins, never had the same feelings for the last one :)

• Haha 1

On 8/25/2019 at 3:36 PM, Marsupilami said:

Hi,

I was watching some old episodes of "Magnum PI" (i know i know, i'm not very proud of it ?) and it seem there is an Atari 400 in one episode (Season 4 (1983–84), episode 3, "Smaller Than Life", ~00:26).

The keybord is strange but it definitely belongs to an Atari 400/800. :)

https://youtu.be/bzDblp4gvCc

Best regards,
Marsup.

Yep.  That is an Atari 400 with a 'B' keyboard.  It was an aftermarket device that just sat on top of the original membrane keyboard.  Ugly but it worked and didn't require you to open the 400 and void your Atari warranty.  Computer Image, an Atari store here in South Florida, used 400's with B keyboards for their cash-register/sales.  It was neat to see the machine being used for a serious purpose.

Best,

Jeff