IGNORED

Dedicated Asteroids controllers

virtvic

Would the 7800 community be interested in these controllers I have made?

Asteroids Controllers

They are for the Vectrex (at the moment) nut I am going to make them for the 'Atari' standard 9 pin plug and was considering making them for the 7800, with the hyperspace button mapped to the 7800 second fire button.

The top 4 buttons would be wired to left / right / up / fire and the 5th lower button to back (for 2600) or 2nd fire button (7800) - this could be switchable, but I haven't looked into that just yet.

Would people want a controller for just the one game? I suppose some other games could be played with it?  Galaga etc?

You can play a few games on the vectrex with it, but it's really for the arcade ports of Asteroids & Asteroids Deluxe on the Vecfever cart.

Thoughts?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, spaceman said:

Would it be possible to make a controller compatible with both the 7800 and Vectrex? Maybe with a switch? I would definitely like one for both systems.

Good looking controllers, would probably work for Track&Fiekd/Decathlon and Space Invaders type games as well. 

A switch for Vectrex/VCS/7800 would certainly make sense to curb ‚game cabinet overflow syndrome’, even if requiring a three-position switch. If the plug fits the Vectrex it should fit the other two as well. 

Given US to Europe postage I‘m not very likely to buy one, though. 

AFAIK there are some 2600 Asteroids game variations where back is a shield rather than hyperspace, you might want to add that to the label. 

13 hours ago, virtvic said:

Would people want a controller for just the one game? I suppose some other games could be played with it?  Galaga etc?

You can play a few games on the vectrex with it, but it's really for the arcade ports of Asteroids & Asteroids Deluxe on the Vecfever cart.

Thoughts?

Your current controller works for Space Duel and Asteroids Deluxe, with 'Hyper Space' becoming 'Shields'. 

The already mentioned Space Invaders (Deluxe) is all buttons in the Arcade as well.  Armor Attack is all buttons in the Arcade, and we have Armor Attack IIAstro Blaster and Astro Fighter are both originally all buttons in the Arcade.  Moon Cresta is in the same boat, and might as well include Meteor Shower.  Last but not least, Rip-Off - all buttons.  I also have hopes for a Phoenix port someday. ?

Well over a half dozen games, and actually closer to a dozen would better match their Arcade counterparts with an all buttons controller under the 7800 library.  Left (Rotate) and Right (Rotate) are an easy fit for practically all of the aforementioned games.  The rest may require some clever button naming - or not - at least provide a chart/table breaking down controls for each game with the controller.

Of course removable overlays would be the most ideal and most expensive solution - but it may pique the most interest too, if offered. 

mooncrst.thumb.png.f845535c0d4479916e117a0ba5fe972e.pngastrof.thumb.png.6634e0b34daa1e0807e0b525d063dc4a.pngastrob.thumb.png.dc9bc1770c6aea47c6ef7a55c8593156.pngarmora.thumb.png.9d6dea7126e57b2535511a50ff657292.pnginvaddlx.thumb.png.49ae228de140045425a2431d163a266b.pngastdelux.png.50998ad6ad894b3302fe0bb0246a7d46.pngspacduel.thumb.png.b5b3ecb31bf07ec1128377fd78124dd5.pngripoff.thumb.png.247f576cda29fa61fa3a6e1826b5117f.png

Hopes...wishes...pipe dream... 

phoenix.thumb.png.917d04a9937126c677e556c332e2b6ca.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've made some of these myself, and if you can/want to ignore original layout and intention (laying it flat on a table to play with both hands splayed)I think you can do better.

gscTCbq.jpg

I've built ones with a "proper" hyperspace button position at dead central, like the one on the bottom right...and it is really hard to hit during gameplay. Whereas moving hyperspace under Green (thrust) and Red (Fire) makes it actually useful. Or, at least usable. Those two smaller ones on the left are smaller than a genesis controller and can be held as such easily.

3 hours ago, virtvic said:

Why is it hard to press? Just use a thumb, like in a proper Astwroids machine.

I mean solely from a handheld perspective, which I think makes the game(s) a lot easier--I don't know anybody with hands big enough to hold a controller designed as such AND hit that middle button easily each time. It's a stretch. Or, at least, it was for me.

But from an authentic perspective, controller on table/hands splayed, that button is just fine.

(So far as other games for these types of controllers....Joust works great....)

• 2 weeks later...