IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season #11 - Game 2 - Beauty & the Beast

2 hours ago, Bamse said:

It doesn't say on the first page if point farming is allowed or not so I'll do one attempt with and one attempt without and let Jacob decide :)

Well, I don't know if it would be considered "point farming" at all if a big part of the game is to get hearts and "kill" objects, so I don't see why any score wouldn't be allowed.  With my score, it's not like I sat on building 1 the whole time and stopped there...I still progressed to building 7.  That's the main point of the game...get hearts, get points, advance when you can with as many lives as possible.  Who is to say what the "limit" is on getting hearts and points in each building?  That would be weird and arbitrary.

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Well, I don't know if it would be considered "point farming" at all if a big part of the game is to get hearts and "kill" objects, so I don't see why any score wouldn't be allowed.  With my score, it's not like I sat on building 1 the whole time and stopped there...I still progressed to building 7.  That's the main point of the game...get hearts, get points, advance when you can with as many lives as possible.  Who is to say what the "limit" is on getting hearts and points in each building?  That would be weird and arbitrary.

True, that's why I suggested two scores one set with progress through the game and one set getting as many points as possible. It wasn't meant to be a criticism, it's just two ways of playing the game. I think most people so far have chosen to just progress through the game judging by scores relating to level achieved.

40 minutes ago, Bamse said:

True, that's why I suggested two scores one set with progress through the game and one set getting as many points as possible. It wasn't meant to be a criticism, it's just two ways of playing the game. I think most people so far have chosen to just progress through the game judging by scores relating to level achieved.

Yeah, I hear ya, but my point is that you can still progress through the game while getting as many points as possible. That’s what I did. Would seem weird to try to limit the points in each building and progress while ignoring hearts and items, which I don’t think can be done if you want a high score. 

3 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Yeah, I hear ya, but my point is that you can still progress through the game while getting as many points as possible. That’s what I did. Would seem weird to try to limit the points in each building and progress while ignoring hearts and items, which I don’t think can be done if you want a high score. 

Yeah. I'll just submit one score then and take your advice re hearts and rocks :)

When I was a kid, I played this game to see how many floors and building I could beat rather than score. Same with Lock n chase, I played to get to the Heart level rather than points.

I'll give this another go with my new game plan :)

23 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Yep, if you can get as many hearts and eliminate as many obstacles as possible, without dying, before moving on to the next tower, that will help a lot. Easier said than done though. 

That is fine, you can collect hearts and kill enemies, but don't purposely FALL off the building and re-climb.

Edited by JacobZu7zu7
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, JacobZu7zu7 said:

That is fine, you can collect hearts and kill enemies, but don't purposely FALL off the building and re-climb.

9 minutes ago, JacobZu7zu7 said:

would be cool if there was a setting that if you fall off the building your score goes back to 0. ?

I agree with that. Falling is too much of an easy way out. There is another way to gain points without falling, and that’s what I did. It got boring after awhile, but it’s still tough to try to stay alive and I still made a point to progress through the levels at the same time.

Edited by IntyFanMatt

39 minutes ago, Bamse said:

Yeah. I'll just submit one score then and take your advice re hearts and rocks :)

When I was a kid, I played this game to see how many floors and building I could beat rather than score. Same with Lock n chase, I played to get to the Heart level rather than points.

I'll give this another go with my new game plan :)

Sounds good. It is fun to see how far you can get, and I agree about all of that. The added component here is to get as many points as possible too. I’m sure you’ll post a huge score!  ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bamse said:

Yeah, you can hang around on each floor collecting points I suppose. Still risky as you can lose lives fast but it would no doubt increase the score dramatically.

Absolutely. That was my strategy. Takes awhile though and gets tedious, and yes it’s still risky.  It does take skill to stay alive while doing it. 

Edited by IntyFanMatt

5 hours ago, Bamse said:

It doesn't say on the first page if point farming is allowed or not so I'll do one attempt with and one attempt without and let Jacob decide :)

"Point farming" should be perfectly acceptable and kinda necessary whether on this game,Shark!Shark! Etc. Trying to just get points without climbing buildings seems just as hard anyway.

By the way you guys posted incredible scores on both games,congrats!

I will try to raise my Beauty and the Beast score a little!?

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, wolfy62 said:

"Point farming" should be perfectly acceptable and kinda necessary whether on this game,Shark!Shark! Etc. Trying to just get points without climbing buildings seems just as hard anyway.

By the way you guys posted incredible scores on both games,congrats!

I will try to raise my Beauty and the Beast score a little!?

Thank you, and I agree...the whole point is to try to get as many points as possible, and it's still just as hard to do that without dying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JasonlikesINTV said:

I wonder what's the farthest building someone could get to, regardless of points.  Maybe there should be some points for that, though it's a little late in the round.

Yeah, i suggested that the score be multiplied by the building or maybe total floors achieved. That would reward both score and progress. Maybe next time :)

• Like 1

I really love this game. My favorite 3 are Night Stalker, Lock N Chase, and Beauty and the Beast. I’ve always played this one with more focus on progress than on points. Sometimes, when you first appear on a level, there is a pattern of open windows that you can blow through and complete the level without being touched, and I look for that, because at high levels you can lose your six lives so quickly if you wait for the hearts, which are less frequent than the baddies. But I’ll give the point gathering focus a try. It is just as difficult. I’ll see what I can do by waiting for hearts. Wish me luck!

• Like 1