IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season #11 - Game 2 - Beauty & the Beast

Alright so I’ve determined that this is without a doubt the most frustrating and rage-inducing game in the entire Intellivision library, LOL. I absolutely despise how easily, quickly, and unfairly you can die in the game. When you get to a certain point, there doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to the stuff that’s falling, and it takes a lot of skill away from it. It’s hard to tell where to stand or go, and you wind up getting hit with everything so quickly.  I think a couple of you guys getting to level 9 is pretty awesome. It is not easy to do while maintaining sanity!  I think I may never play this game again after this weekend, I’m hating it now!  ?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Alright so I’ve determined that this is without a doubt the most frustrating and rage-inducing game in the entire Intellivision library, LOL. I absolutely despise how easily, quickly, and unfairly you can die in the game. When you get to a certain point, there doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to the stuff that’s falling, and it takes a lot of skill away from it. It’s hard to tell where to stand or go, and you wind up getting hit with everything so quickly.  I think a couple of you guys getting to level 9 is pretty awesome. It is not easy to do while maintaining sanity!  I think I may never play this game again after this weekend, I’m hating it now!  ?

I know what you mean. There is a lot of luck involved in where the windows open St the start of each floor and where the rocks are when you get hit. I've lost all 6 lives in 1 go more than a few times, especially in the later levels.

This happened to me with more than one game last season. Qbert springs to mind. I made improvements but couldn't for the life of me if me catch some people, especially Scalpel (he is amazing at Qbert). I played it so much and got so frustrated that I thought I'd never play it again.

I was wrong though and after hating it for a bit, it's back in my good books :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bamse said:

I know what you mean. There is a lot of luck involved in where the windows open St the start of each floor and where the rocks are when you get hit. I've lost all 6 lives in 1 go more than a few times, especially in the later levels.

This happened to me with more than one game last season. Qbert springs to mind. I made improvements but couldn't for the life of me if me catch some people, especially Scalpel (he is amazing at Qbert). I played it so much and got so frustrated that I thought I'd never play it again.

I was wrong though and after hating it for a bit, it's back in my good books :)

Yup, the 6 lives can disappear in seconds. I really don’t think I will go back to this game in the future. I’m too aggravated by it. I’m gunna try a couple more times this weekend to get past 8, and that’s it...putting this one away forever lol. 

8 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Yup, the 6 lives can disappear in seconds. I really don’t think I will go back to this game in the future. I’m too aggravated by it. I’m gunna try a couple more times this weekend to get past 8, and that’s it...putting this one away forever lol. 

I hope you change ypur mind. This shouldn't make you sick of these games. I know it's easy to get carried away with the competition side if it here but it should be fun first and competition after. When you succeed in remembering that, please tell me how lol :D

Edited by Bamse

3 hours ago, Bamse said:

I hope you change ypur mind. This shouldn't make you sick of these games. I know it's easy to get carried away with the competition side if it here but it should be fun first and competition after. When you succeed in remember that, please tell me how lol :D

I know, I’m being overly dramatic for a bit of fun, LOL. But honestly, I am not enjoying Beauty and the Beast very much at all.  But the HSC is very fun, don’t get me wrong!  Waiting for game 4...

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

I know, I’m being overly dramatic for a bit of fun, LOL. But honestly, I am not enjoying Beauty and the Beast very much at all.  But the HSC is very fun, don’t get me wrong!  Waiting for game 4...

Game 4 shall be ready by the Monday Sunrise... watch for it. In shades ... ?

• Haha 1

So quick (kinda relevant) question - anyone know why Nostalgia would run the Beauty & The Beast rom downloaded from the link on Page 1 but jzintv gives me a solid colored screen? Atlantis and Demon Attack also do this but Dragonfire and Dracula run fine. None of the other games do this it seems to be limited to Imagic.

Some cartridges not made by Mattel use a different memory configuration.  Jzintv needs a cfg file for those roms.  Create a text file with the same name as the rom file and .cfg extension with the following.

[mapping]
$0000 - $1FFF = $4800

Edited by mr_me

So I played tonight and finally got to building 9!!  I actually made it up about halfway through the building and then accidentally fell to the bottom with my last life, which is why it doesn’t show any floors completed.  I did get about 5 floors done before falling. So that’s it, I’m retired from this game!  Gimme those points Jacob!  LOL

30110CEE-7DFA-4735-BEB2-0690DE53BE1F.jpeg

Edited by IntyFanMatt
Typo
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, mr_me said:

Some cartridges not made by Mattel use a different memory configuration.  Jzintv needs a cfg file for those roms.  Create a text file with the same name as the rom file and .cfg extension with the following.

[mapping]
$0000 - $1FFF = $4800

After you told me about this I did a quick look around and found this posting from 2012. Still works like a charm. :) Thanks again!!

10 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

So I played tonight and finally got to building 9!!  I actually made it up about halfway through the building and then accidentally fell to the bottom with my last life, which is why it doesn’t show any floors completed.  I did get about 5 floors done before falling. So that’s it, I’m retired from this game!  Gimme those points Jacob!  LOL

30110CEE-7DFA-4735-BEB2-0690DE53BE1F.jpeg

okay I have to remove your 41ks score, but you will earn more points from this one because of the 8 floors. ;)

3 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Ok, however it works out is fine.  So will I lose my second place spot though, and still somehow get more points?

Yup because of the 8 cleared buildings. 2 extra and the tie for top amount of them cleared which earns the top bonus.

You can still use the 41ks if you prefer your score to be higher but will miss a few bonuses. like +3 or 4.

Edited by JacobZu7zu7
  • Thanks 1