IGNORED

Best 2600 model for cartridge compatibility?

The Strangest

Hello all, 

First and foremost this is my first post here so I thought I’d introduce myself. The introduction is sort of off topic so I’m putting it at the bottom below my initial post and question as not to clutter too much or bore anyone who doesn’t care.

I’ve been playing all of my Atari games on a 7800 with a tight cartridge port. Last night I tried some new games that I got and they just weren’t fitting right in the console. Some are extremely tight while others aren’t tight enough (and I have to push down to get them to read, but when I let go it can’t be read anymore.)

So with that (and I’ve been reading that 2600 games look better on a 2600 vs. a 7800) I decided it’s time to add a proper 2600 to the collection. I’ve done some research, but I wanted firsthand accounts from the experts. My impression seems to be that, despite the 6 switch models being the most popular, it’s the 4 switch and the Jr. models that have the most “compatibility” with cartridges fitting well into the slot. Is this correct, or is there no discernible difference between the models? Are there any other factors I should be aware of?

Thank you all for taking the time to read/reply.

My introduction:

I’m a 20-something year old recent grad school graduate looking for his place in the world (and I think I’m getting close).

I grew up playing my brother’s NES, SNES, and N64. The first consoles I got that were “mine” were the Gameboy Color/Advanced line and then the GameCube and PS2 and have been gaming from there. Fast forward to today, adult life isn’t as glamorous as they make it out to be and I don’t have time to play games like I used to. As much as I love my PS4, it’s hard to sit down and have a long session with it. My Switch gets more time due to it being convenient, but I love retro video games and I’ve found that Atari games are “bite sized” enough to fit my lifestyle and they’re still a ton of fun. So I’ve been enjoying collecting for it immensely and I’m happy to be on the forum! Over the last year or so I’ve been playing 2600/7800 games on a 7800, and a few Lynx games on a Lynx. Last week I got my hands on an Atari 400 and I’m excited to explore the world of Atari’s 8-bit computers.

First of all, welcome.  If you have questions about not only Atari, but vintage gaming and computing in general, and even modern gaming, this is the place to come first for sure.  If you account for cost, I would say either a 4 switch woody or a vader.   You should be able to find one pretty cheap.  I'm not a big fan of the rainbows,  sometimes I have to pick them up to get the cartridge out.  If you like it, you can always look into heavy sixers and others later. Good luck!

Thank you for the welcome and the reply! I was leaning towards the 4-switch Woody (or a Vader) over the Jr., so it’s interesting to hear about the issue you had with the Jr.

Do you (or anyone) have any idea why my 7800 might be having trouble with carts not sitting properly unless I apply pressure? I don’t want to try and force them harder so I just haven’t played those games.

21 hours ago, delmero said:

Welcome to Atariage:

You said you played "all" your Atari games on a 7800, by all you mean the carts meant for the 2600 also? I read that the 7800 carts are different from 2600 carts maybe there is the problem. 

Thanks!

Yes, that’s right. I’ve been playing my 2600 and 7800 carts on a 7800.

• Like 1

My vote is a Woody over a Vader, for a very simple reason. Every Woody should have come from the factory with all 3 of the main IC's socketed. Vaders are maybe 50% socketed or soldered. So long as the system works perfectly and stays that way, great. But if a chip goes bad, desoldering an IC from the board safely to install a socket and a replacement chip is not for amateurs or those who may be weak-hearted. :) I have had a Vader and Woody which each required a replacement 6532 RIOT chip, and a Woody that also had a bad TIA chip.

A 4-witch Woody with a UAV video mod is my daily driver 2600 (and a 7800 with a UAV board is my daily driver 7800 as well). Some carts definitely fit the Woody better than the 7800. I have never bothered to cut the cartridge tunnel insert on my 7800 for a better fit since I can always use my 2600 or more likely, just play the game via my Harmony Cart, which fits my 7800 perfectly. 

• Like 2

I asked this question awhile back here. What I gathered from that thread is that, basically, there's no clear-cut answer, and maybe no way to know definitively what the 'best' 2600 is, compatibility-wise. Heavy and light sixers can have problems fitting Atari Corp.-era carts (and I've heard heavies can have issues running some games that use bank switching), 7800s can have problems fitting 3rd party carts, and revision-depending even problems running some games, and apparently the Jr. has some issues running certain games as well.  But, the 4-switch woody and Vader models seem to have the highest rate of compatibility, so you made a wise decision.

I personally have never really had any issues to speak of, besides some Corp-era shells being a tough fit in my light sixer - though they still played with a little finessing. Nowadays, I do pretty much all my 2600-playing on a 7800, but there's just something about running these carts on a legit 'golden era' 2600 that adds layer of authenticity, in my opinion anyway, so congrats on the purchase!

Edited by King Atari

Just an update to this thread:

I got my 4-switch Woody in the mail and tried a few cartridges today:

Activision

Atari

CVS

Double ender cartridge

iMagic

Mattel

US Games (beveled case)

Every one of them fit like a glove. Thank you to everyone who contributed and I hope this thread can help others in the future.

• Like 1

I think that you will find that your 4-switch Woodie will be compatible with everything that you throw at it.  The two systems that I have hooked up currently are a 7800 and a Jr.  I like both but there are occasional games that I have tried with both that have refused to run correctly.  In comparison, I never had one issue ever with my 4-switcher.  You have picked an excellent starter system.